1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Best cooking oil?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by sheeba, Apr 13, 2005.

1. sree

sree New IL'ite

hi,
    I use light olive oil for indian cooking since it has mild flavour it won't affect the indiantaste much. For deep frying I use canola,corn and vegetable oil alternatively.(agree with kamla we shouldn't keep on using the same oil). For chineese I use sesame oil. And all other non indian cuisines Extra virgin is a good choice. But any oil or any types of fat moderation is the key.
    Hope this helps.
    sree

2. Rsegaran

Rsegaran New IL'ite

I use olive oil too. But My suggestion is that, if we can reduce frying, it will be even better. In my opinion, that is one of the major contributing factor for body fat and cholestrol.

2 people like this.
  3. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I saw an interesting and informative write up about olive oil and corn oil- shall give you the link at the end. For generations, we Indian wemen are using Nallennai - gingelly oil- as the name suggests it is really nalla ennai. With the new oil pulling(gargling with oil) therapy, Idhayam g.oil claims it cures many longstanding medical conditions. This apart it has less cholesterol and is good for health. For deep frying and cooking the latest one is corn oil. with its high smoking point, it doesn't break into harmful chemicals when used for deep frying. As you all know the less oil the better is the health.
    Doctors and nutritionists advice a combination of 2,3 oils and advise only 3 tsp. per person per day(MIne gets over by the time I finish my breakfast of 2 idlies with idli podi!!) Avoid coconut and kadali ennai.
    For potato or plantain roast, first microwave the chopped veg. for 2 to 3 mts and then shallow fry adding oil at intervals rather than the whole lot in the beginning.
    One more thing I want to say is not to use artificial sweetener containing asparteme; go in for sucralose based sweetener.

4. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Here is the link to write up.
    www.goaskalice.columbia.edu

I trie to attach the file with the manage attachments but i didn't succeed.:idontgetit:

5. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Ladies many many thanks for all your suggestions.Sorry for being late in responding to all your thoughts.

6. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Olive oil is best for cooking. It doesn't spoil/change the taste of the food.
    We live in Boston, my kids didn't had any skin problems (dryness) during this winter. It is good for everything.

All the best,
    Punitha

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Selvi

This is how I use:

Ex V olive oil for all shallow fry veggies, kuzhambu thaluchify etc.
    Premium sunflower oil for depp fry vadai, appalam,vadam
    Nallennai (Idhyam)- for vathakuzhambu,kalandha saadams.
    Coconut oil for avials, thenga saadam.

As many ILites suggested, I read an article recently that the oils should be mixed for balancing the cholesterol levels in the body. Also it pointed that oils should be used appropriately according to their level of smoking points. I will give an extract of the article soon.

Happy cooking.
    Cheers:wave
    Vijee

8. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi
    i also heard olive oil is good for health but dont mix with indian cooking.
    after reading this i will definitly try cooking with olive oil.
    i just have to finish my 15 litres of corn oil before.

bye

9. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi,
    the best oil for cooking is olive oil bcoz it doesnt it has less cholestrol than normal cooking oil.my dad had a bypass surgery some yrs back,and has been adviced to use olive oil.other than olive oil it is better to use corn oil which also seems to have less fat.i do all my deep frying in olive oil.well this all i can help.

take care bye :wave
    zeenat rizvi

10. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I find canola oil is good for deep frying as it is very light, easy to digest. Otherwise for regular cooking, stir frying etc., Olive oil is what I use, though I am not fond of it.

For special dishes like vathal Kuzlambu, pult kaichal etc., nothing can beat our dear gingely oil..

Geeth Priya.