significanceofsadhabhisekham

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by priyamuthu, Dec 20, 2008.

1. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Hello Madam,

[Dear Chitra Madam,
    Can u pls give me some details abt the sashtiapthapoorthi function and why do we need to celebrate it? Actually, we have a f for our in-laws this moth and while i was telling this to my friend here, she just asked me this questio. i was not able to answer her clearly. it has become a custom nowadays celebrating it without knowing its significance.
    Konjum theleva therindhu kolvatharkaga, athai patri neengal solla mudiyuma? Muzhu vivaram therindhu, ketpavargalukellam solli seithal, nanraga irukkum and ninaikiren. pls help me.

I have seen sashtiaptha poorthi ad sadhabhisekam in my family, but since it's the first time in my in-lawfamily, all the relatives that side are pouring with questions. pls do help me.

sorry to bother u a lot on this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Priya]

Above is the query i posted inFunctions and Rituals to get some details fm you that would help me very much.i know u are busy replying various threads, so i had post it here again. pls dot mistake me .

Thanx in advance,
    Priya

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya,
    Not that I am busy, but I want to get authentic & correct information before replying you!!
    May be anybody else who knows can throw some light.
    Sathabhishekam is supposed to be performed after seeing 1000(/1008) full moons in one's life time.
    More than that, I know not much.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Re: significance of sadhabhisekham

Thanks for your reply ma'am. actually, i wanted to know why do we celebrate sashtiapthapoorthi. and seeing 1000 full moon in life time is a news for me. thanks for that.
    Priya

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

chithmam,

until you bring in more details, let me give my little idea too here..

priya,

shastiabthapoorthi, is the santhi done when the person completes 60 years of his life. According to our Hindu calender we have 60 years, for example this year is sarvaadari. So a person who was born on the same year would have completed 60 years. so they do a peace offering on the day he was born, the star birthday..it is said the planet positions are all exactly in the same positions as when he was born. In olden dates crossing 50 and completing 60 years was a feat, so they had these celebrations, where the man can reaffirm his wedding vows again.

When a person completes 70, they do a bheeshma santhi. I do not have the exact details for this.

Shadabishekam, is done as chithmam says when the person has seen 1000 moons..in an year there are either 12/13 moons..so an average of 12.5 moons..It is said in tamil Ayiram pirai kanda..they say that when you see 1000 moons, that chandra is pleased and helps in attaining moksha (do not know the story behind it.)

Kanakabhishekham is performed by showering the person in gold when
    the concerned person has his first-born as a son (Seemantha Putra) who is alive; that son should also have his Seemantha Putra alive, and he too be blessed with a living son born as his first child.that is if the person is seeing the 4th generation first born.

Hope i have not confused you...

5. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy for throwing some more light on this matter.
    Priya

6. nirmusri

nirmusri Junior IL'ite

Thanks a lot.

for ur wonderful information.

7. Vanisha79

Vanisha79 Bronze IL'ite

HI...

I just happen to read through and would like to thank for the wonderfull information Shanvy. all i knew before this they do shastiabthapoorthi when a men reach 60th Birhtday. But i know delibratly of the reason.
    Thanx

Luv,
    Vanisha

8. sainirav

sainirav New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the info. My father completed 60 years last year and it was not a custom in our family to do Sashtiapthapoorthi . Unfortunately he had an attack and underwent angioplasty. Then we did Maha Mrityunjaya homam at Dhanwantri temple in Coimbatore and by God's Grace he is doing well now. I sometimes think if we had done Sashtiapthapoorthi he would not have got it. Just my thoughts.

Thanks
    Sai Nirav