Work at Home Business Ideas - Sovling a Simple, Focused Problem

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Ravikant, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ravikant

Ravikant Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I see a lot of ladies here are interested in doing something from home or start their own home based business. So thought of making this post.

Look at this website RidesNearMe-Main. It solves the problem of connecting carpoolers. By keeping the objective narrow and focused, they were able to do a simple and easy website. They sell this service to companies at a price and that is how they make money.

Honestly, how long does it take to put together a website like this? Not that long. A few weeks maybe. After that any company you sign-up is pure profit. You feel good that you solved a problem and made money.

...I don't have the skills
    You might look at the site and say, "I don't know web design". But you don't have to. You can find web designers by the bunch at Elance work from home jobs. All that cool maps they show you in the instruction videos is a free plugin from Google. Your elance contractor can integrate that in less than 2 hours. In running a website today, all you need to know is connect the various pieces. And you will be able to do that if you just read and educate yourself.

...I don't have the money to start
    If you are taking external help to get the website set-up etc then you need some money. If you have savings, invest in the idea. If you don't, why not try and find another Indian Lady (or man) who has the money, join together and do it? You do the work, she puts in the money and you split the profit at some %. Many Indian families would take the chance and invest (if you show eagerness, authenticity and action-orientation). Afterall, getting a site like this up and running shouldn't take more than $2000.

...I don't have a good idea
    Ok. Carpooling will not work in the context of where you live. Agree. Why not try some other idea that piggy backs on the same concept. Ask yourself, "what is the problem that you are facing now, that you want solved?". Read, observe, reflect. Ideas will come by the dozens.

Let me close with this. I have an idea that piggy back on the same concept, but will be extremely helpful to the Indian diaspora. It solves a very focused and narrow problem. There is a way to make money as well. But, I have ZERO time. Left to me, I will do nothing about it.

However, I may partner with someone who has the time and the fire to start a business on her/his own. To be candid, it is worth the time only if the partner is right. Please make note of the following.

1. My contribution is money, guidance on how to piece the various things together. For the right partner, I will spend 2 hours per week.
    2. Your contribution is time. Many hours a day. Reading tons and tons of stuff to educate yourself on the internet. Writing tons and tons of emails (to clients, partners etc) to grow the business.
    3. You won't see any $ in your pocket, unless the business makes money.
    4. Don't worry about fraud. After the first 2 emails you will know that everything I say fits together. We might even speak on the phone once or twice initially.
    After reading the above, if you are still serious, send me a detailed note explaining why I should share the idea with you and partner with you (take your time). Given time constraints, I might not respond to all notes, but I will respond if you have taken the time to write a well thought through proposal.

Best of Luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009

2. kavitasg

kavitasg New IL'ite

Re: Making Money by solving a Simple, Focused Problem - An Opportunity!

can i talk to you on the phone

3. Ravikant

Ravikant Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kavitasg, it works best if you first send me a private message sharing your thoughts on why you are the best person for me to partner with. That would give me an indication and then we can talk on the phone if needed. I am not trying to be elusive, but I am seriously strapped for time and this might be a good way to make sure both our time is not wasted. Thank you.

4. Ravikant

Ravikant Bronze IL'ite

Make Money enabling each other solve problems - Fixya Example!

I came across this site Tech Support, Manuals & Troubleshooting for Consumers. It is a site that facilitates individuals to help each other solve technical problems related to electronic products.

It is in human nature to help each other. The marriage forum is this site is also a good example of that.

I wondered..is there is a business opportunity extending this same concept to other situations. Is there a way we can make money by running a website that facilitates individuals help each other? What other topic areas such a concept would be helpful?

5. seemaa

seemaa Senior IL'ite

hi ravikant.
    read ur post ...interesting..i have the go ,the fire and most important the time ...offcourse that is only after march2009...there is a great demand for appearance grooming out here and i intend to start a training institute for the same with my expertese...i was doing it earlier from home and had good a very good response .now i want to do it on a little professional line...what u have to say about it?

6. recipiesdirect

recipiesdirect Bronze IL'ite

Hi ravikanth

l am from Hyderabad & seen your article. Let me have more details if possible. please.

vijaya (recipiesdirect)

7. renuga

renuga Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I am renuga and i would like to know more ideas about this .

8. Ravikant

Ravikant Bronze IL'ite

Seema, Recipesdirect, Renuga,

I see that many women in the work from home section write "give me more information" type responses. I also received plenty of private messages to that effect. See, these type of responses give me no indication as to the level of your desire in this. After all, it is very easy to type that one line. What would be a way to show your desire is to write a detailed response that explains why you think you would be the best person for me to do this with. If you take the time and energy to write that proposal ...that is an indication of desire and would help you stand out from the one line crowd. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. seemaa

seemaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Ravikant,

The ability to work -Read TONS and TONs of material and to email in tons .

The TIME which is money - can devote in tones and will if it gets converted to the green note.

The Devotion and Focus - will be in tones if things happen.

The three qualities speak enough to convey the message across.
    rest can be discussed in person over a call if interested
    regards

10. inventsekar

inventsekar New IL'ite

looks good idea...i think i cant send private message...
    let me check again..