Maheshwari Saree!

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by amrita.sinha, Dec 1, 2008.

1. amrita.sinha

amrita.sinha Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

Can anybody tell me where I can find Maheshwari sarees?
    I heard a lot about these sarees.I know It is very much famous in Madhya Pradesh.
    I never get chance to look Maheshwari sarees.
    If anybody has collection of Maheshwari saree please share with us.:)

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Amrita,

History of Maheswari saree:

An important political and cultural centre at the dawn of Hindu civilisation, Maheshwar is mentioned in the Ramayana and Mahabharata by its old name of Mahishmati. It was revived from obscurity to its ancient glory by Rani Ahilyabai of Indore in the late 18th century. Most of temples and the fort complex date from this time. Though it has nothing of excepetional tourist interest, Maheshwar is famous for a particular type of sarees – Maheshwari sarees – which are a speciality of this city.
    Introduced by Rani Ahilyabai of the Holkar dynasty more then 200 years ago, these sarees are famous throughout India for their unique style. Originally the saree had a plain body, sometimes with stripes and checks, with a border woven in leaf or floral designs, mostly in cotton. It had the distinctive 5 stripes on the pallav running across its width, out of which three were coloured and two were white. But now a lot of experimentation with respect to the fabric and motifs has been done in Maheshwari sarees, no doubt to increase its appeal in a market of changing and varied tastes.
    The weavers have now been organised by the descendants of the Holkar dynasty to improve working conditions and ensure a better return on their labour of love – the beautiful sarees, whose grace and elegance is hard to match.

Attached Files:

• 76.jpg
      76.jpg
      File size:
      10.4 KB
      Views:
  3. shivanichilly

shivanichilly New IL'ite

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing History of Maheshwaree saree.IN Madhya Pradesh Maheshwar is very famous place.Does Maheshwari Saree linked to that place?
    Please anybody share the new trend in Maheshwari saree.
    Or any sample?
    So that I can have perview of it.:)

4. aruna_sudha

aruna_sudha Silver IL'ite

thanks for sharing such information......................:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

5. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I guess all of you are from Madhya Pradesh.
    My sister was telling lots of latest varieties of Maheshwari saree came in Mrignayni Emporium.
    Mrignayni Emporium is situated in New market ,Bhopal.
    I guess all Bhopali know New Market:)