Do you love remain as homemaker?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by hemachitra, Sep 16, 2008.

1. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

HI all,
    After going through all posts I feel its quite normal that most of us wish to remain home makers.. But as for myself, who always wish to spend maximum time with the family have recently started thinking the other way..
    Perhaps the thoughts on my mind are:
    ->Only a working wife gets more consideration from her husband or family.
    ->A home maker may always have to face the question :”after all you have no work here, just eat and sleep...” and so on..
    ->Sort of “good for nothing” approach from the husband.
    I always feel bad that I should have been working for at least a year or so before / after marriage. But now with a 1 year old to look after, and all these years of no work experience after completion of studies I wonder if I’ll be able to do some job! After all I always love to be a home maker..
    Regards,
    Reshmi

2. deepasriganesh

deepasriganesh Senior IL'ite

Advantages as a Homemaker

Bonding between the husband and wife wud increase
    ( my family friend would always say that a wife can satisfy her hubby mainly through cooking, thts y i'm starting with cooking :) )
    when hubby comes back from work, the wife can serve food.
    cook his favourite dishes and healthy dishes
    try out variety of dishes

spend reasonable time with hubby
    discuss abt his job
    do the financial planning of the family
    plan out the vacation properly, as only the hubby's leave will be applicable here

Overall, there would be less quarrel at home

Kids
    spend the time with the kids
    enjoy their activities at all their growing stages
    pack cute snack box for them
    maintain a good rapport with their school friends, friend's parents and of course the teachers
    give a warm welcome when they come back from school
    cook good and healthy food for them,with no hurry
    see to it that they complete their home works

Spiritual
    spend time lighting diyas at home
    keeping track of festival and fasting days
    reciting slokhas
    Overall a positive vibration at home

Hobbies
    get time to work on our hobbies

Disadvantages as a Homemaker

Only one -> Cannot contribute financially to the family (I personally feel that this is trivial when compared to the advantages)
    - X -

I bet all the above points listed in advantages, cannot be accomplished
    " so easily " by working women

FYI - I'm a working mother :)

-Deepa

3. deepasriganesh

deepasriganesh Senior IL'ite

One more and important advantage as a homemaker
    > Can help our in-laws and parents when they have some health issues

4. sunja

sunja Senior IL'ite

dear hema,
    even iam a homemaker and i love it.but when i face day to day problems i really salute those ladies who manage both work and home:clap

5. cinesoy

cinesoy New IL'ite

Dear friends,
    There is no better job than a home maker. Home maker is a center point in the family circle. Husband, son, daughter and relatives and friends are all revolving in the outer orbits with the center's attraction. If the center's attraction is lost, they will stumble at times.

6. Aniyaa

Aniyaa New IL'ite

yes there are a lot of good things about being a homemaker..

But somehow.. when i sit at home.. i get a lot of unwanted worries and tensions.. i worry about unneccessary things .... i get tensed just thinking about life .... my moods also vary a lot.. i get frustrated very quickly .. i think a lot .. i judge people unneccessarily .. Even i eat a lot.. ie whenever i feel hungry i head for the fridge..

I am a working mother.. but though i love to stay at home.. if i take leave for 1-2 days .. i will be running to office the 3rd day.. because of the above problems.. I guess its not only with me because many of my colleagues too have the same problem..

7. Victoryman

Victoryman Senior IL'ite

Iam and I love to be a homemaker and will try to remain the same till the end.

cheers!!!!

8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

I am working and my passion is for going jobs only.

I am working in a respectable position and I love my job. But I am fulfilling my family commitments also.

But when my child gets sick, my boss is angry, bus traveling - these times I love to be at home - But when we get the salary which we are using for your family - every other pain just vanishes.

In sunday - I am a full time home maker. I like this temporary job also.[​IMG]

Andal

9. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Hema,

I have derived the greatest satisfaction from being a homemaker in all my years of married life. In the fifties, one used the quaint term 'housewife', and 'homemaker' was coined more recently. I must add that the concept of working women was not so common in my mother's generation. The majority of women worked as teachers and lecturers. The advantage was that they had summer vacations and winter breaks and fixed hours of work, unlike the IT people nowadays who work all day and night and even weekends when a project is about to go live!

Speaking of myself, I started off as a full-time 'housewife' and when my son entered his teens, I started as a part-time as a foreign-language teacher. I could devote time to home and family and enjoy my teaching as well. Nowadays, I must say that I have the best of both worlds, I am a homemaker and free-lancing out of my home-office!

So I could call myself a 'working homemaker'...

Padma

10. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Hi Hema,

I plan to be an at-home Mom / housewife only until my daughter gets to first grade. HOWEVER, I am not sure if I will be able to find a job after such a long gap on my professional resume. I am currently also pursuing a second degree in a field that I *love* and I hope to be able to make a part time career for myself in that area. BUT, if for any reason, it doesn't work out, that's fine, too.

I think being a housewife is a hard, THANKLESS job. It's 24/7, no pay, no vacation, no bonus, no sick time off etc etc etc. But, a HUGE reward / pay-off is that you get to spend the formative years of your children with them and young kids treasure parental time more than toys or games or the latest gizmos. Raising children to be productive adults is the biggest undertaking of their life for any parent.

My mother worked all her life and my siblings & I were latch key kids. It wasn't a very pleasant experience for us, so if I have to stay home full time for any reason, I would have no regrets.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008