1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss for Thryroid people

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by puni88, Mar 2, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    I have hypo thyroid problem, as most of them knows the problem with the thyroid is weight gain, swelling, carbohydrate cravings, metabolism, difficult to weight loss etc.
    With help of medication, keeping thyroid levels normal, I want to reduce few pounds (which is very difficult).
    Please some tips....

Thanks,
    Punitha

2. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Punitha,
    I too have hypo thyroid. I am on medication from the past two and half years my thyroid level is normal but have gained a lot of weight in these 2 &half years. I do work out but it is very hard to lose weight. :icon_frown:

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    my son has hypo thyroidism and he has put on a lot of weight. But that is also due to lack of exercise as he is in the 10th std. just now. I plan to start a exercise programme with him, I am also obese, so that we both can lose weight and stay healthy.
    If there is any other remedy, do let me know too.

4. rama_mani

rama_mani Silver IL'ite

hi,

this is rama mani. recently i checked my tyroid. i am also having tyroid. i am also having diabetic & BP. so any exercise or contact yoga class in chennai please let me know.

regards,

rama mani

5. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Yoga is the best exercise to keep thyroid under control. If you have a experienced Yoga master nearby, go for classes and ask them to teach SuryaNamaskaram, and the Sarvangasana cycle. Once you learn how to do them correctly, just do 6 Surya Namaskars daily, do the Sarvangasana-Halasana-KarnaPidasana-Matsyasana cycle once, take rest in Shavasana. This will do wonders not only for Thyroid, but every other vital part of the body. Shri B.K.Iyengar has mentioned in "Light on Yoga", that the Sarvangasana cycle is a real boon to women.

For a brief intro to the poses, see this website. However, please start practising under the guidance of a Yoga teacher, and then start doing them on your own slowly.

Suryanamaskar - Sun Salutation - Yoga Postures Step-By-Step
    Sarvanga-asana</i><br>The Shoulder-stand Posture - Yoga Postures Step-By-Step

Good luck,
    Vidya

6. vikpuj

vikpuj New IL'ite

hi friends dont be feel down. I m suffering from hypothyroid since last eight years and i m on medication. after delivering my son i rapidly gain weight. it was almost 22 kgs i put on. then i choose to join gym there i reduce 8 kgs in 4 months. so friends dont be loose u surely can achieve ur goal.

7. puni88

Hello Vidya,
    I saw all the URLs for the yoga benefiting thyroid problem.
    But I have disc degenerative problem too...
    Is there any modifications of these yoga postures..

Thanks,
    Punitha

8. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Hi Punitha,

That the yoga teacher / master can tell you that. If you have disc degenerating problems some of the yoga postures should be avoided. They'll know which one you have to avoid.
    But do go for yoga classes. The exercises will help you control your weight. It is very difficult for the hypo thyroid affected to lose weight. Always avoid fat and aerated drinks even soda. By fat I meant all types of deep fried foods.
    Love
    Latha :wave

9. NeenaP

NeenaP New IL'ite

Hi Punitha,
    I am with you on degenerative disc and hypothyroidism problems. Weight loss can help. I am joining a Gym. We should communicate and help each other on loosing weight.
    -Neena

10. puni88

Hello Neena,
    I never gained much weight during thyroid problem, but last year because of too much stress, work I gained 10 lbs, which I want to reduce, because of this 10 pounds weight gain my back pain become worse. It took 6 months for me to get my hypothyroid under control, after that I started exercising regularly with food diet, I avoid soy products completely. I take cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower once a week only. (All these food items will affect thyroid).
    I brought a book on hypothyroid and read completely and understood who to cope up with this disorder.

I have reduced rice item very much.
    I am following strict diet as well, in result of it, I have reduced some 8 lbs, but I want to reduce another 10 pounds, which is a long term goal and reasonable goal of reducing one pound / month.

DO write about your story also...
    Punitha