1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training a toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 2, 2005.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sindhu, that was me - is still me. Even if the toilets are pretty clean, even in fancy hotels, I just cant. One UTI later, I am forcing myself now a days, but then I would always reduce the amount of water I drink, avoid a/c and just not use the rest room. Dont even ask me about the other thing, it HAS to be MY bathroom, even now. (the damage the parents do, ha):rotfl

2. Classy

Classy New IL'ite

Potty Training - Does not poop in potty

My daughter is 28 mo.s old and has been very good at training on peeing in the potty. She tells when she has to go and uses the tissue and flushes also. She has got good remarks even at the preschool she goes for this. But she never has done poop in potty chair so far. When I would train her at home she always did accidents of pooping in the underwear I put on her, we run to bathroom but she is done in seconds already in the underwear. Recently she tells me she has to pee around the pooping time, I take her and we sit for while and she says 'no pee' and we come off and then after few minutes she does poop in the underwear. I have been catching her a min. or two after she does the poop, may be should I keep an eye on her only around that time? Please give me some tips on how to completely train her? At school also when asked they say she did not tell for poop. Atleast she is not holding it which is scary but pls help me on it.
    Should I sit with her in the bathroom for a longer time? Should I watch her every second around the time? Usually she does after dinner, but how long should I watch? She has normally got very good remarks for being a smart kid beyond her age and is very good in other things. Thanks!

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: Potty Training - Does not poop in potty

classy i feel bad to say again and again..few moms(including me) had shared tips on this topic.please search before posting.
    1.potty training a toddler thread
    2.how to get rid of diapers t hread

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Classy,

I merged your thread to this existing one. Hope you find more tips here...

Latha

5. vidyarp

vidyarp Bronze IL'ite

Toilet training a pre schooler

Hi All. I am at my wits end. I just dont know what to do with my 2.5 year old son. Its his potty timing thats driving me crazy. My son has to go to the playschool by 8:45AM and till that time, he hardly ever does his potty. After a great deal of cajoling and threatening, he would do some but not fully. Then at around 10:30 or so, he wants to do potty in school. Now no issues if he were to tell his teacher that he wants to poop. This fellow is scared of the potty in school and refuses to use one. The folks in school would've forced him to use it a couple of times. He has developed an aversion to it and as a result, has started pottying in his pants. he just doesn't tell anyone at school that he wants to use the toilet. This irritates the staff since it has become a routine affair and he potties 3-4 times in a week at school. So basically there are 2 problems -
    1. His potty timings are wrong and he needs to do full potty early in the morning. How do i do it? I give him warm milk in the morning and bread-butter for breakfast. He tends to potty after that only.
    2. How to get rid of his fear of the pot? At home, he uses the baby potty chair. But in school they have the smaller version of regular toilets. I am worried because soon he will go to a bigger school and there nobody is going to take care of such things.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP........

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Re: Toilet training a pre schooler

Vidya,

I personally think your son is too young to be fully potty trained. That said, I am not sure if you can force him to do potty before he goes to school - it is his body and he has no control yet. Now, will the school encourage you to keep him in diapers? Talk to them and find out. There are a couple of things you could do, slowly transition him from baby potty to the one using a toddler potty seat at home first, the fear will go away. Two, till he learns to tell the teachers, ask the teachers if it is ok to use the training pants, tell him they are underpants as well and he needs to tell his teachers as usual if he pees and when he does potty but if there is an accident, it is not messy (you don't have to tell him this). The other thing you should do is since you know he does potty at 10 or 11 ask the teacher to take him to the bathroom at that time.

This will take a couple of weeks I am sure but is not something you cannot work. Hope this helps.

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Toilet training a pre schooler

Vidya, can you make him sit on the pot right after breakfast and ask him to try? Threatening will only make it worse. Just make it a fun time, it shouldn't be a stressful time. I would even recommend that you or your husband sit with him while he's on the pot and talk to him, or read books. Slowly, his routine will change. Until then, just have patience, and like Rama said talk to the teacher and see if she can take him to the bathroom at his usual time. It shouldn't be an issue at all for the teacher.

As for potty seats, we have a 'Kiddyloo toilet seat reducer' . This potty seat sits on the toilet and has worked perfectly for us. Riya's not scared of the height or the flushing. Something like this at home should make it easier for your son to transition on to the adult toilets.

Lastly, do not worry about him not having a routine that works for you. He's only two and a half. Do talk to the teachers and come up with something that will work for him. It won't do him any good in the long run if he's embarassed or scared just because he goes potty in his pants.

Raj

8. vidyarp

vidyarp Bronze IL'ite

Thanks...i think what u say makes sense. I'll try to get him to sit on the pot right after breakfast. And yes...the potty trainer/seat should work. Where can i buy one? I stay in delhi.

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Vidya, I am not sure where in Delhi you can find this or a similar one that sits on the pot. I am from Delhi too, but I was not a mom then, so never paid attention to these things. You may want to check out the malls in Gurgaon. I saw one place in Gurgaon that was selling all kinds of car seats, strollers and baby items from US and Europe. Sorry, don't remember the name. You may also want to post this question in the 'Delhi' forum in IL. You may get a favorable reply there.

Good luck

Raj

10. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Not to use diapers during night

Hi,

I really didnt know as to what could be the apt title.

I have a 15 1/2 month old daughter. I have potty trained her well. She tells me when she wants to do susu or her motions. Only sometimes she does it outside her potty. I have long stopped using diapers for her during day time. I am using only during night time and when we go out for a relatively long period say more than an hour. I want to stop using the diapers during night time also gradually. I thought i will start waking her up in between nights and make her do susu (maybe after 2-3 months time) or stop giving water & other liquids just before she sleeps. But abu dhabi is a hot country and in summers with or without the AC on she needs to be fed with water to quench her thirst. So this idea is totally rule out.
    Can anyone of you suggest how to go abt it?

Revathi