1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need your suggestions on this...

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kalps222, Nov 17, 2008.

1. kalps222

kalps222 New IL'ite

hi
    am new to this group..
    not sure, if this really a problem for me or just my assumption, but need your suggestions..
    we got arranged marriage before 6 months...my husband is very reserved,especially when it comes to talking to women....because, of this, i cant even invite my friends to my home,neither do he is willing to accompany me to my friends home...but he is very close to his friends,(no girl friends) and doesnt talk to any women atl all..i feel like this is really hurting my social circle...what should i do,should i advise him to socialize.. or just let him the way he is, as far he being reserved with others..please share your thoughts on this..as this is causing arguments between us every week,especially when there are any occasions or functions of my friends,for which we were invited...he doesnt even both,if i say, i just go alone...other than that,he takes care of me well, and is a lovely husband
    please help

2. NidhiJain

NidhiJain New IL'ite

I think he is just shy talking to women.Just support him when you are in a party or whenever women are around.People often have this kind of problem.You can help him to come out of it...but don't force him or don't nag him about this all this time.Take this light and tell him why socializing is very important.Invite your friends at home....arrange potlucks...go to parties whenever you get a chance to socialize....if he is shy at least you make good contacts with people.
    When i was married i was very shy...but i wanted to make friendship with people.I am more shy to girls than boys.I talk freely with boys ..the reason may be..because before marriage i had more friends in boys than girls.
    Sometimes i hate myself for being so shy..but i can not help it.My husband used to say after coming from parties...why didn't you talk to his wife...You should make good relations..you will get company ..she can be very helpful for you....i used to feel very bad.i did not know why i am shy and i feel uncomfortable when lots of strangers especially girls are around.
    You know...once i went to a party...What i saw was all the girls were sitting in a seperate rooms and boys were sitting in a different room.I wanted to stay with my husband but it doesn't look good so i had to leave.
    But With time ...i am changing a lot.Now i myself socialize with even my husband's friends and they are more close to me than him.He doesn't get time to contact them so i keep in touch with them.I am still shy sometimes when it comes to socialize with people who are not Indians.I am working on it too..i don't know why this is so.My husband supports me and motivates me.Its just a hesistation when you haven't got much exposure in your childhood.This hesistation goes with the more you work on it and try to fight your shyness.You just have to be willing to fight this.

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hi Kalps,
    I'm also shy too like your husband. I'm good at talking with people once the conversation gets started, but until then I feel awkward to approach strangers at a party or function. A solution to this that my husband helps me out with is as follows...

We arrive somewhere together or meet up with some of his work friends. My hubby starts the conversation, and eventually mentions something about me in the conversation. Then his friends will usually talk to me about whatever my hubby said, I answer back and pretty soon we have a conversation going. After that socializing with the group for the rest of the night gets easier. Still though once we're in the car heading home I feel like taking a sigh of relief that it's over! :roll:

So my advice would be if you are the more outgoing person, maybe you could start up a conversation with your friends until your dh feels comfortable enough to jump in! Also, if before you wanted to invite over a group of girls to your house, try inviting one of your girlfriends and her husband over. Once they are at your house, mention something your friends have in common with your dh, it might make him feel more relaxed and interested to start socializing! Keep doing that with different couples you are friends with. Once your Dh gets to know all your different girlfriends, he probably won't feel shy for you to have a whole group of them come home to visit you! Be patient with him, he will definitely appreciate you for it! :party

4. Riya007

Riya007 Senior IL'ite

Hi Kalps,

Some people are that way, very reserved and very shy to talk to people of the opposite sex. I have a friend of mine whose husband is the same, very reserved but that doesnt stop her from going to the places she wants to or doing the things she wants to do. It is not a bad trait or anything, just a nature. All of us are different, if everyone was the same, life would be pretty boring I guess!

If you have to invite your friends home, why dont you invite them when he is not around or first maybe just for a cup of tea or something till he gets more comfortable with them. If people invite youll, I know that it is always good to take hubby along as well, but it is better that you go rather than no one going at all. Just give him time and as I said, invite people over for short visits so that he can start getting comfortable with your friends.

There should not be fights just for this reason. AS you said, he is a very loving husband, that is what is most important. As long as he treats you well. I remember even my dad for that matter did not like to go for any social functions or to anyone's house, my mum used to take me and my bro and go then.

Love, Riya :thumbsup

5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kalps,
    I also belongs to the same category of ur hubby. I didn't talk to any of the boys throughout my BE(4 yrs....). Only in the final sem i spoke a little. I don't know few ppl name itself..... Now things changed.... Started to have at least few words to guys!!!! I am the one in touch with most of the ppl now....

Don't worry & trouble him. Like our other ILites mentioned try to start conversation yourself & then include ur DH into it.... Allow him to come out of it on his own.... He ll take some time to accept it & start.... Be patient.... Don't fight for this silly!!!