1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby bath

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vatsi, Dec 15, 2005.

1. vatsi

vatsi Bronze IL'ite

Hi fens,
    I m a momof 10 mths old.
    Her face skin is fair but rest of the body is little bit dark. m giving her massage with baby oil n from 2 days started giving bath by besan(gram flour). Shod i mix something in besan. Right now m using only besan.
    Thanks

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

olive oil

Dear Vatsi

I used to apply olive oil for my son(for body) and coconut oil(for head) till he was 1 yr old.Now I use only coconut oil for both body and hair.I don't know about the scientific properties of olive oil but I found it very effective for skin complexion both for my son as well as for my nephew.My son did not have fair colour when he was born and like your baby ,his body did seem darker than his face.The constant use of olive oil for him for one year has really helped.My husband is on the darker side and he always has this inferior complex about it.I always keep telling him that a man should be tall,dark and handsome but he does not agree with it.So he was very particular that my son atleast should be fair(I am on the fairer side).Now my son(3 yrs old) is the fairest among us all!My nephew(5 yrs old) also has good complexion and both have been blessed with clear soft skin.

I insisted on olive oil for my son even though my MIL was adamant that I use gingelly oil which is the traditional oil used in Tamilnadu.Fortunately,I changed her opinion so much that recently I overheard her advising someone on the phone to use olive oil for their child!!!

Cheers

3. Angeli

Angeli New IL'ite

Olive oil

Hi Vatsi,

You applied olive oil in the first year. Did you apply oil as a substitute to body lotion after bath or did you apply olive oil before giving bath to baby?
    Awaiting ur reply.
    Angeli

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

olive oil

Dear Angeli

I never used any lotions.I used to apply olive oil before bath,bathe the baby and then after bath apply baby powder.After a head bath,in the centre of the head,I used to(and even now) apply Raasnadhi podi( which is famous in Kerala) to keep the baby free from colds and coughs.

Cheers

5. vatsi

vatsi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Angeli and every one,
    I use oil( baby oil) before bath and after bath i apply mix of lemon, glycrin and rose water. But i want to know shd i add something in besan to give bath to my baby.
    She is getting allergies from soap. Please help
    Sunitha is there any substitute of dhi podi becase i m in Bellevue(WA) i dont think i can get it here.
    regards

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vatsi

My sister used to apply olive oil and then bathe her son with besan paste ,she used to add nothing else to it.For my son,I used only soap.

Regarding Raasnadhi podi,this is an Ayurvedic product.I am sorry,but I don't know any substitute for it.I usually buy it in bulk from India,you will find it in 'Kottakal Aryavaidya Salas' there.Since only a pinch of the powder is applied each time,one small packet comes for even 6 months.

Cheers

7. huldaashok

huldaashok New IL'ite

Hi Vatsi,

I used to apply besan powder mixed in milk. My son also was of a darker complexion and had too much dry skin. So from the second week itself we stopped using the Johnson range of products. We just used only besan powder for his bath upto 4 yrs. He is maintaining his soft and clear complexion.

Regards,
    Hulda

8. sree

sree New IL'ite

what kind of olive oil?

dear sunitha,
    What kind of olive oil do you use?here in US we get all kinds(extra virgin,light etc)of olive oils right? I would appreciate the brand name also. I have a 6yr old son on the darker side and i'm expecting my second one. At least i can help my second one with this remedy. Children when they satrt schooling they really notice the skin color and talk about it in school.Also is there anything we can eat during pregnancy to help the skin color of the baby?Thank you very much in advance.BTW i'm also from kerala.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sree,

I was in India at that time and there I found only one type of bottle,which just said olive oil.There was no type mentioned.Infact ,I came to know about so many types of olive oils only after coming here.

Also,I used to have a few strands of saffron in warm milk before going to bed.That is a very common practice and I've seen many people doing that.Frankly,I don't know if that helps.

Also,I really cannot guarantee whether a child will become fairer by using olive oil,its just that it has really helped to improve the complexion in the case of my nephew as well as my son.In both these cases,my sister and me are fair whereas our spouses are on the darker side.

Great to know you are also from Kerala,so atleast Raasnadhi podi will be familiar to you,I guess.

Cheers

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Not to worry..

Hi vatsi,

Heard my mother and other folks telling that paitham maavu(whole green flour) is better than besan flour. As you have a baby girl, mix kasthuri manjal with the flour and apply on her body which will make her fresh & smells great. Not to worry abt the color; as a mother of two kids, let me tell you..as they grow up, once they start taking plenty of water, fruits, veggies will automatically improve the complexion.

I witnessed in my daughter's case during winter time, using besan or moong flour would make her skin very dry. Anyways, if you are very keen, as soon as you done the bath, before using towel to dry her, apply lavishly baby oil on her body. Remember, not after wiping her, BEFORE when her body is totally wet and that is the instruction given. You will find a noticeably different when comes to her texture which find even now for both of my kids.

I read somewhere for elders, but am going to try as my daughter is going tobe 3..Dry in sun 5 lemon, orange skins each, channa dal & kuskus. Grind them finely and use everyday after putting soap which will make the skin young and fresh!!

Applying almond oil is also good and improve the complexion. But, if you ask me whether it is better than olive oil, it is tough to say as each has their own properties.

Rgds.