1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When did your baby started babbling?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by roopika, Nov 14, 2008.

1. roopika

roopika New IL'ite

Hi,

My dd is 7 and half month old. she laughs, smiles and cries loud but does not make any other sounds other than that.I am worried about it, let me know when your babies started babbling and making sounds?

Regards,

Roopika

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Roopika this could be normal. Our daughter started responding when she was around 3 months old - mostly ah-goos and now she blabbers a lot, but my mother said that her neighbor's baby is the same age as Riya and doesn't say anything at all. Yesterday at Riya's b'day party one guest responsded (after hearing her talk in gibberish) that her sister didn't say a word until she was 15 months old, and all of a sudden words came spilling out of her mouth!

There are some things you can do to help her talk, like read books to her, talk to her, eg. if you are cleaning, tell her what you are doing, what you are going to do next, tell her what you are going to do while diaper changing, giving a bath etc. Point her objects and name them, however big or complicated the words are, just remember that your baby is absorbing everything even if she's not looking at it or paying attention to it. I just read recently that babies learn with their ears, the more words they hear the more it helps them with their speech development, and reading later on.

Raj

3. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi roopika..

My baby is 3 months old. He started doing aggooo..... gooo when he was 2 n half months old. I always make eye contact with him when I am talking to him. I make funny expressions and make sounds (call me silly) but yeah...he likes it and then he response back with his gebbrish sounds. Believe me when I sing a song to him he goes aggoooo in the same tone and make bubbles from his mouth.

Everytime baby wakes up talk to them while changing the diaper, feeding, bathing, changing clothes etc etc. They enjoy it. Hope as Riya said its normal for some kids to talk (make sound) late. Don't worry but keep talking to your baby as much and whenever you can.

Regards

4. roopika

roopika New IL'ite

Hi,

raj and Amicable thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.Actually she used make some noises when she was 4 and 5 months and stopped once she started tummy time .My dd is one month preemi so i am worried a lot about it.

Roopika

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Roopika - you mean she doesnt make any speech-like sounds at all? Ng/aah/goo/gah..nothing? Does your pedi know? What does he think? Has her hearing been checked anytime? How is the rest of her development?

Vanathi.

6. roopika

roopika New IL'ite

Hi vanati,

Rest of her development is good, her weight gain is good.she can hear 100% sure. She is very active and happy baby.she will turn when we call her name, she listens to her favourite serial music whatever she is doing at that time, wakes up for slight sound and she will turn to the side where the noise is from.
    she is trying to crawl.she grabs everything to her mouth, most of the time she keeps her finger in mouth.she will sometimes imitate coughing.she makes sound only ahhhh..hmmmm..very rarely..
    I have not discussed with her pedi yet.

7. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Roopika..

My baby was born when I was 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant, so basically 3 weeks earlier. So I don't thats the reason for delay. But as you mentioned all her activies are good and she used to make sounds before she started tummy time. I think she doing perfectly alright but if you are worried I guess good idea talk to your peaditician. Good wishes and lots of love to you baby.

regards

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Then please discuss this with your pedi at your next visit. I'm not trying to alarm you but in my opinion this needs to be checked out. Read this for more info.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008