IL'ites from Tirunelveli??

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by hema_gladston, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Pechi

Pechi New IL'ite

Re: How many IL'ites are from Tirunelveli??

Hi Hema
    Greetings
    Regs
    Pechi

2. Pechi

Pechi New IL'ite

Dear Hema
    Lets Make The city of Halwa in a big way
    Hope Tirunelveli too find a way out here
    Regs
    Pechi

3. lakshmi1945

lakshmi1945 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sarasvathy and all other TVLians
    I too can proudly say I am one from there. My father hailed from Perungulam which is now in Toothukudi Dt. We have lands there. For many years when my father was alive he used to send us rice from our fields. My father worked in the railways so we had our schooling in other places in the north. But , we used to spend all our summer vacations in the village. I have had a wonderful time bathing in the Tamirabarani many times. We are lucky that we have water in the Tamirabarani a:l through the year. My grandmother and aunt were settled in Tiruelveli. I do not know to swim but I have taken piggy back rides with my cousins in the river. I have very fond memories of iruttukadai halva . In those days Nellai lodge was the most famous hotel there. Even now we visit Thiruchendur whenever possible as he is the ishtadeivam of my father. My brother and his family make it a point to plan a visit to our home town and Tiruchendur at least once in two years. It is a wonderful time for all of us.
    The crowning piece is that we had our honeymoon in Courtallam. No one has mentioned the Navathirupathi temples of Tirunelveli Dt. My home town Perungulam is one of the Navathirupathi. Whereever you are, it is very easy to spot a TVLian the moment you speak a few words.
    Lakshmi: :whistle

1 person likes this.
  4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hello Pechi :hiya...typical name from Tirunelveli..welcome to this zone here :).

5. Saraswathipv

Hello Lakshmi ma'am,

Yes, my appa too hailed from Toothukudi. But he moved to Chennai after his graduation. So, I have never been there. My marriage took me to Nellai dist..(Tenkasi)...and now we often "roam" in and around tirunelveli, when we are in India.
    You must be having nice memories of Courtallam :biggrin2:. My home in India is a few kms from the falls. Do let me know, when you visit there next.Great weather there.....
    You are right about easily recognizing a TVlian from their typical accent.

I am ignorant about "Navathirupathi temples" :redface:.

Bye

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Saras

Sorry for so long I didn't visit this thread so accept my belated reply please.

It is Punnaivanam very near to Puliyangudi. My grandparents have moved to Srivilliputtur now. But I have lots of relatives in Tenkasi, Courtallam, puliyaarai...and around. What a lovely place.

7. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Though I'm not from Tvl. My MIL is from Krishnapuram. After marriage I learnt special maaladdu from MIL.

8. Saraswathipv

Hi Vijee,

Better late than never .....

I am familiar with Puliyangudi...I have often been there....we have a very close familiy friend in that place....but Punnaivanam :confused2:...Well my DH and inlaws are more aware about the places there.
    Wowwwwwwww, you have relatives in and around Tenkasi..So, during your next trip to India, visit my home :idea...Who knows, if I am there too at that time, we could have a Ilite meet there :)

bye

9. aneesbasha

aneesbasha Senior IL'ite

Hi All TVLians,
    Im also from Tirunelveli, my native place is Melapalayam. My parents are from TVL, currently we settled in chennai, but used to visit TVL during vacation. That's a nice place to visit. Courtallam is the best place for holidays.

10. Vidhya Ganesh

Vidhya Ganesh New IL'ite

hi

i too frm tnvl.....

vidhya ganesh