HelpURGENT!! Indian items in Stockholm-esp grocery

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by haine, Oct 18, 2008.

Life in Sweden for a family living-

1. we're here... life is cool!!

71.4%
  2. Can adjust -(still indian in sweden?)

14.3%
  3. Need more planning and contacts to survive

14.3%
  4. Killing for living ..ideal only for tourism and sight-seeing

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haine

haine New IL'ite

Hello Everybody,
    My hubbys work is assigned to Stockholm
    so i will be moving with my 3yr old son very soon after diwali...
    I need your help to pack my things there..

can we get basic dhal and rice there? moong, toor dhal, channa dhal, corriander seeds, vendhayam, mainly pepper, red chilli, jeera,etc ?

otherwise i have to take something atleast for my son who wants rasam and curd rice atleast once a day...
    i heard frm my husband who left last week that a Srilankan grocery shop is there but I'm not sure what will be available...
    HOw would the mixie of Sweden be? can i make sambar powdr there itself (if ingredients r avaibalbe) or MTR or other readymade products available? I have no clue what to pack for stay of 6months in Sweden.. and just 1 baggage of 20kgs per person...

As we have been to US earlier, I could guess what winter would be for thermal clothing. We got every Indian item there..so didnt bother to take any food item..but how would Sweden be?
    Pls help,
    Waiting,
    Mrs.Vijay:spin

2. madhusri8576

madhusri8576 New IL'ite

Hello Mrs.vijay,
    When we travelled to stockholm,we had the same question(about indian groceries in stockholm).Pls hit this link:
    View topic - Indian groceries in Stockholm? - Page 1 - The Local
    We spent 2 days in stockholm,even shopped basic indian groceries like toordal,moongdal,fenugreek,mustard,tamarind,turmeric etc,everthing in stockholm.I am sure u wont have any problem in stockholm.I have no clue on the mixie stuff u r talking about.
    I hope this would help u.If u have any more questions give me a shout.

Regards,
    Madhu.

3. haine

haine New IL'ite

thank you madhu for your useful reply and the link:)...

4. andalnvp

andalnvp New IL'ite

Hi friend
    when r u leaving to Stockholm,my husbands work is assigned to Denmark,am looking for a travel companian,ill be travelling by this week end.

Thankz
    Vishnu

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Haine,

I lived in Norway for long, and have travelled to Stockholm many, many times on work. Stockholm is a big, bustling city with many Indians, Sri Lankans etc. In the Sri Lankan shops, you will find almost all Indian (I mean both North and South Indian) spices.

You will even find stuff like roasted idiyappam flour cos of the Sri Lankan Tamil population.

All things like vendayam, coriander,moondal, toordal etc should be available. They will be very expensive, so keep that in mind. Regarding pepper and red chillies, I find that it is easier to get white pepper powder. And the red chillies available may be less pungent than what we are used to back home.

I doubt if MTR masalas or ready mixes will be available. Please carry such stuff from India.

I would suggest you take a mixie with dry and liqiuid jars from India. What you usually get in Scandinavia, might be either a blender for smoothies and even idli/doa maavu. Or you might get coffee grinders for dry grinding sambar masala etc. Better, you carry a light weight mixie from home. Dont forget a small pressure cooker also.

If you are staying only for six months, take all ready masala powders like rasapodi, sambar podi etc.

Also, please take woollens and thermal inner wear. You can buy good jackets and sweaters in shops like Lindex, H& M etc. But will be costly.

When you shop, look out for Wasa crystal. They even have lovely crystal pieces of Hindu Gods like Valampiri Vinyagar, Venkatachalapthi, Durga etc.And pretty reasonable prices, lovely collector and gift items.

Wrt the poll, I voted the first option, though I have not lived in Sweden. But who wants to leave Scandinavia? Life is heaven there. High standard of living, no racism, social security from cradle to grave, women more equal tham men in Sweden (51 to 49 points on equality for women and men), South Indian temples and culture, all Indian veggies and grocery available--- .Downsides, winter and distance from home.

Goodluck!
    Vidya

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  6. haine

haine New IL'ite

vishnu,
    hey im already at stockholm!
    vidhya,
    thanks a lot for your most informative thread! its a very useful...ive started looking for crystals already...do u still live here?

7. shalusaini

shalusaini New IL'ite

hi
    i m here in sweden since last september. U can get all dhals n speices here. there r mny indian , bengali n pakistani shops. u can get atta (wheat flour) easily but ASHIRWAD ATTA is best n and it usally became out of stock so buy 2 packets whenever it is available. some of shops r :
    INDIAN FOOD CENTRE ------- IN RADHUSET
    HIMALAYA LIVS--------------IN TEKNISKA
    TAJ MAHAL ----------------- IN T CENTRAL
    ASIAN FOOD CENTRE --------IN FITIJA
    KISTA FOOD CENTRE --------IN KISTA
    if u want i can give u there no as i do not hav it now they r in my hubby's mobile. All these shops r near tunellbana (metro) station.u can get speices in other stores also but all my frnds prefer dhals from asian shops only as dhals from other stores taste different. u can hav MDH masalas , ACHARS , MTR brands also.

but mixie r hard to find as blenders r easily available but mixie r not so common for making idli batters and so. i got BULLET MIXIE (must have seen on indian tele shopping )from ÖOB by chance but there r no more now there also but i think this one is available in MEDIA MARKET.
    as for clothing us should carry thermal inners for all of u either of KIDLEY , LUX , NIVEA OR JOCKEY BRANDS. U should carry basic medicines for u all. like fever n cold medicines for ur child , vicks vapours , chough medicines . strepseles , disprin , saridon nd fever tablets for both of u .

when r u comin here , and where r u planning to live. this country is boring and harsh to live in winters but summers is very beautiful.let me know if i can help u in anyother way.

SHALU

8. andalnvp

andalnvp New IL'ite

hi Haine,
    Thanks a lot for ur Reply.....I have reached Denmark on 15........Now am with my husband.

Hope u r doing good.....how is life in Stockholm.......if u hav time keep in touch.

From
    Vishnu

9. sujsree

sujsree New IL'ite

Dear Madhu,

It is great that you gave a prompt reply to cope up with the scandinavian climate for indian vegetarian products.
    reg,
    Sujatha sreenivasan
    Chennai

10. haine

haine New IL'ite

hey shalu,
    i reached sweden about 2weeks back...and stay probably for 6mo-1yr...
    your reply was very exhaustive and very very useful one..we got an apt in norsborg... i visited Asian food center in fitja and got my basic stuffs...im unable to find rava and samiya for instant tiffin...also i got basmati par-boiled rice as i couldnt find idly rice! (got mixie from india!)

one ques... do we have any provision to adjust the room temperature here...myself and kid r literally shivering during daytime... my houseowner who is asian says tht we cannot adjust the room temperature which is fuly controlled centrally..but im of the opinjion we shld be able to adjust atleast a few degrees... also do u have any suggestion to get heaters or some insulation to the windows if i have no other option...
    my hubby teases us seeing us in jeans and fullarms and sweater and socks, tht now we can go out quickly as we r already dressedup! :)