1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Pros/Cons of Leather Furniture

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by raginiprakash, Nov 4, 2008.

1. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi all!

Can you'll list the pros and cons of leather vs fabric sofa for the living room. Would love to hear your inputs on maintaining and cleaning leather furniture, any product that you use to clean it & if you feel it's worth the expense.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Ragini

2. mukilganesh

mukilganesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ragini

Leather sofa vs Fabric sofa.

It is a personal choice really. Some people find leather offensive because it is animal skin and some don't like the smell.

Leather is easier to clean as you can wipe off spills which could alternatively soak into fabric before you can run to get some tissues. There are leather cleaning solutions available and it is fairly easy to maintain. Just an occasional wiping with some warm water will keep it fresh. If you have young kids, never leave them alone in the same room with a leather sofa as they might have this sudden idea to check out the new felt pens on the sofa, unless you decided to go for a dark color! But I wouldn't advice having leather in a hot country like India or any other warm place unless the room is air-conditioned.

Fabric is difficult to clean as it is stitched into the frame of the sofa. And if liquids soak in and you live in a humid place, there might be fungus growth on the inside if it doesn't dry. You could use a throw over it but that might hide the beauty of the fabric. I personally like fabric but it is upto the person.

I will try to find more info on this topic.

3. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Ragini

Well, in my opinion, if the sofa is something used very often, then leather might become uncomfortable, although it is very easy to clean, if its hot it might stick to the skin and become sweaty also... but if it is something that is used once in a while then i would say leather sofas look really good and add a touch of class and sophistication to any living room. But if the leather is not good, it could crack, spoiling the whole look...

Fabric sofas are good too, but difficult to clean as we all know, spills and over the time dirt can make them really difficult to handle...

still forgetting all the pros and cons, leather sofas, is my personal fav..

Take care
    Abha

4. aharia

aharia Silver IL'ite

my collection of leather sofa

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Leather sofa adds class and sophistication whereas fabric sofa has more utility value,especially if you have kids!!DrowningThey can do any amount of jumping,rolling,pricking it with pins etc,nothing will happen to fabric.Spills is definitely an issue with fabric as also collection of dust.Fabric is also difficult to clean.Since we have kids at home,we have gone with fabric,but we are definitely looking forward to getting a leather couch once the kids grow up at bit!:hiya

6. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Ragini,

I chose leather furniture since I liked the sleek and contemporary look it provided to my living and family areas. I have an active 3 year old and so far they have held up to his and jumping very well. Cleaning up spills etc is really easy. I do have a leather cleaner but for regular cleaning I just wipe them down with a paper towel or disinfectant wipe.

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I personally have a prefrence for fabric because of the colors, designs and choices of fabric and I also feel that leather furniture will look best with sophisticated decorations around it - so I would prefer it in a formal living room vs in a family room - so it is just a matter of choice and preference!

8. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Thanks a bunch ladies for your inputs! Sorry for not responding earlier, hadn't kept a tab on this thread.

We settled for leather and am mighty pleased with it. Maintaining it is such a breeze versus our earlier fabric sofa. Yes, like many of you said it's classy too.

Cheers!
    Ragini.

9. pramiprecious

pramiprecious New IL'ite

Leather is uncomfortable, I love fabric, but its a personal choice.