Idli with long grain rice

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sanravi_1970, Sep 22, 2008.

1. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

Hey ladies ,

could anybody tell me , without using baking soda can I prepare Idli with rice & urad dal as a ratio 3:1. Is it compulsary to use baking soda . plz guide me .

thanks,
    smitha

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Smitha ,you dont need to use Baking Soda always. I havent used it at all. After grinding for dosa or idli I just add salt as required and mix it. For dosas you need to leave it overnight after doing this. Idli you can keep it in fridge after 2 hrs.Keep in mind you need a vessel which has lot of space still left for dosas and Idlis too for it to raise properly. My mom makes like this and dosas are crispier and idlis very soft.You can try it too.

3. prr

prr New IL'ite

hey
    Making Idli or dosa with long grain rice is really difficult.. it doesnt come out well.
    Can anyone suggest any other option?

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

If you don't get idli rice, use samba rice from Srilanka. Recently I have been using this (ghee muthu samba).. the grains are short and silky to touch. The result is excellent.

Latha

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Smitha,

I have never used baking soda for idli. The proportion you mention is right. Also add 1 tsp methi (fenugreek, vendayam) seeds soaked along with the urad. The idli proportion given by Chitvish works very well for me. This is the link http://www.indusladies.com/forums/4864-post54.html

Latha

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

idli-lovers... i just got this proportion using long grain rice from my cousin

3 cups long grain rice
    1 cup cooked rice (any rice)
    1 cup urad

soak the long grain rice and urad for 5-6 hrs, separately. First grind the cooked rice to a fine paste, add the urad, grind finely. Finally add the rice, grind till the rice is coarse. Add salt and ferment as usual.

Please do try and FB here:)

Latha

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

My supply of Ponni parboiled rice has been dwindling and I am also on a mission to find a good (soft) idli recipe using long grained rice. After a lot of googling, I have found some. Now need to experiment. Maybe you can also experiment.

PS - I have NOT tried any of these. (And the "I" in these is not me - I found these from various forums)

Idli with Basmati
    ===============
    3 cups basmati.
    1 cup whole, skinned urud
    soak overnight.
    in the morning and 1 cup COOKED basmati rice to the raw rice.
    grind everything as ususal - the urud really, really soft and fine. use warm water. add salt while grinding.
    use a pottery type bowl for batter, cover loosely with plastic and keep in oven with light on.
    take out in the evening - voila! bubbly batter, all tiny bubbles, the batter bounces when you stir.
    steam idlis for 10 mts.
    My best EVER idlis.
    Only thing. make sure the weather is steamy as it is in boston. i think that helped. maybe not because i kept it in the oven. one never knows, it is all in the tao of idli.
    the cooked rice helps in the production of yeast, i think. my batter has never risen this fast.

Idli with long grain and uncle Ben's
    ============================
    Long grain rice 4 cups
    Uncle Ben's Converted rice 2 cups
    Urad dal whole 1 cup
    Salt to taste
    Method:
    1. Soak the long grain rice for 6-7 hours and urad dal for an hour.
    2. Dry grind the Converted rice.
    3. Grind the soaked rice to a coarse paste & urad to a fine paste.
    4. Mix all three, add salt and let it ferment atleast for a day.
    5. Steam them and serve hot with Chutney or Sambhar.

Idli with Long Grain Rice:
    ===================
    For making fluffy soft idlis you need
    -4 cups (heaped) - raw long grain rice
    -1 cup (heaped) and 12 cup - split urud dhal
    -Salt to taste.
    Method of preparation
    You measure the raw rice(long grain rice) into a vessel. Do not add water to this rice. Take the pressure cooker and pour 2 cups of water into the pressure cooker. Now Keep the vessel containing the measured rice in the pressure cooker. Close the pressure cooker with the lid. Wait till the steady steam starts coming. Put the weight. When the first whistle comes simmer the electric or gas stove. Allow it to be like that for 5 mints. Then switch off the stove. Allow the pressure to subside on its own. Then add fairly hot water to the rice and soak it for 4 hours. Just an hour before grinding, wash and soak the urud dal.

· Pressure cook the rice without adding water in the rice for 5 minutes.
    · Allow the pressure to subside on its own.
    · Then add lukewarm water to the rice and soak it for 4 hours.
    · Just an hour before grinding, wash and soak the urad dal.
    · First grind the urad dal in the mixie.
    · Then grind the rice to a fine consistency. Not too fine as a paste of course.
    · Mix the two and add the required salt.
    · Mix thoroughly.
    · The final batter should not be too thick or too watery.
    · Allow the batter to ferment for at least 12 hours.
    · Then prepare the idli in the usual manner and really soft idlis will be got.
    ENJOY!!
    · This is a very good way to prepare soft idlis by grinding in a mixie when one does not have the traditional stone grinder and also the parboiled rice.

Idli with Uncle Ben's
    ===============
    Here is a fool proof recipe for idlee especially for those who have to work with a regular American blender.
    Pressure cook a cup of Uncle Ben's converted rice (from the regular grocery store) with a little extra water.
    Using a blender, grind 1 cup of soaked urad dal till soft.
    Now grind 3 cups of soaked raw rice with a generous amount of water.When it is smooth gradually add the cooked rice a little by little.
    With this recipe, you do not have to be too careful when adding water to grind the rice , since the additional cooked rice will thicken it anyway.
    Combube the ground dal and the ground rice, add salt and allow it to ferment. You will get very soft idlees.

8. harisur

harisur New IL'ite

This is a very simple method to cook idli with long grain rice. My ratio is 4:1(rice to urud dal) Remember to use the whole urud and not the broken one. Take the rice and put it in a vessel and cover it tight and place it in the pressure cooker with water below. Do not add water to the rice. This is dry cooking. After removing from the cooker after the cooling period add water when the rice is still hot. Now follow the same soaking process and grinding. For people who don't know about fermenting in winter: Preheat the oven and switch it off and place the ground flour in it with a bigger plate under it and keep overnight. This is like the process of fermenting in summer.

9. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Dosa Rice-American Stores.

Hi All,

In Indian stores here I not getting dosa rice. In Costco there r different brands of Rice's. I tried Elephant brand long grain rice. Dosa sticking to tava not coming good. Pl. let me know which brand of Rice is good for dosa's.

Thank u very much

10. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

hi,

I tried preparing idly with ponni boiled rice. It didn't come out well. For dosa it's coming welll...
    Ratio for mixie is 2 rice and 1 urad dhal- 1 tsp methi seeds.
    Grinder it's always 4:1.
    I tried using idly rava- in mixie- 2:1 ratio- soak rice for 2 hrs and urad dhaland methi for 4 hrs . It came out well. The colour of the idly was little orangish... Taste was good...

love..
    lakshmibonk