Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 2)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anuraag

Anuraag New IL'ite

Dearest Chitra mami,
    Thank you for the 3 cheers:)
    am disappointed :cry: like a child now cause I couldn't upload.....will soon try to complete 50 posts so I can show you the pictures...Happy Diwali to you and family.
    love
    jyothi

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Chith

made MW ukkarai. It is not a custom to make it in our families, but I wanted to make something new this year. I don't know when I last tasted it. I always get Diwali marundu podi from Grand sweets, this year for the first time made following your recipe.
    I found the liquid glucose in a cake deco store, but since too many sweets are there, will hold off for a few days to make the dry fruits halwa. The bakery store lady said that liquid glucose is the same as karo syrup, which is available in groc.stores in US.Since I was already in the store, I bought liq. glucose. This info will be useful for those who are not able to find liq. glucose.

Ukkarai

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Relaxing time and relishing recipes.

HI Mrs.C,

Since started making bakshanams & finished it a bit early, feels that the festival is already over, can u believe??

Anyhow, yesterday night, tried the second version of rava dosa. Addition of maida & besan made me skeptical to try. But, this is equally good like the first version. Too bad, my family literally forgot to say STOP and was so exhausted. Thanks a bunch for the same!!!

And, tonight, vathakuzambu with sweet potato & pumpkin. Never got these two together and atlast, made it. Amazing color and a good combo for ven pongal. Being fall season, the pumpkin comes out in deep orange and do have to say abt the gravy color. We did not waste even a drop, that tasty. So, again thank you for it.

Bye.

Rama.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Usha,
    Your Ukkarai looks absolutely "madurai-ish" ![​IMG]
    I do hope you ran it through the mixi to make it grainy! Before mixi came here, I used to sieve the same through rava salladai laboriously![​IMG]

Liquid glucose will keep well for years - so once bought, it will not go waste.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Re: Relaxing time and relishing recipes.

Dear Rama,
    Yes, once we are done with bakshanams successfully, a big load is off our minds!!
    East or west - rava dosai is best!! There is no second opinion about it.
    Ha ha ha - my dear sweet VK? You make my mouth water [​IMG]
    Well, I now remember I have stocks of sweet potato! So, WHY NOT????
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. eagle

eagle Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Today for lunch I made Bitter gourd Sambar. Amazing taste and colour .The addition of tomatoes gave it a nice consistency and also great taste. We loved it very much. Thanks for sharing such a easy PP recipe.
    Also made Puli Aval. MY husband loves aval in any form. He relished it.
    The array of sweets and bhaksanams look mouthwatering. This year we dont have deepavali. But I want to try some this weekend. Wish me luck.
    Happy Deepavali to you and your family.

Love
    Shobana

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I thought ukkarai was a Tirunelveli dish. What stage was I supposed to run it in the mixi. Is it okay to do now or is toolate?

8. Chitvish

I remember having given in the recipe- will check it.
    Pick out the cashews & do even now, more to make it "pola pola
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I just ran it thro' the blender, it looks like Puttu.

10. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra Ma'm,
    First my deepavali wishes to you.
    Yesterday i made wheat halwa.I had tried this 4 yrs bavk with another recipe.had a very difficult time stirring & the halwa was also only ok.So I was dreading the stirring process.The only problem i had y'day was that my kadai was full till the brim for most of the time.But the stirring was not difficult.My DH,who is a 'no compliments guy' said the halwa is"good ,like from shop".It turned out very well.
    And i made boondhi laddu today morning.Even after halwa turning out very well,i was little sceptical about making a classic like laddu.This also i tried few years back with moderate success.Today I was able to make laddu well.Your measurements are just the optimal quantity for greenhorns and for people with no second hand for help.
    Thank you.I will post after making mock peda and mixture.
    love,
    damini

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.