Indians In New Zealand introduce yourself here!

Discussion in 'Indians in New Zealand' started by Kelly, Nov 7, 2007.

1. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Hi Sindhu,

She can wear churidar but in Wellington that will hardly keep her warm.
    Also the opportunities to wear Indian clothes may arise only when she is meeting/visiting INdians - otherwise she will need to mostly wear trousers/jeans to university and work. Also with the wind and chill and rains in Wellington from May onwards, she will need to be in clothes which are more body hugging to keep warm.

Foodstuff from India - she will not be allowed to bring in anything unless it is cooked food and sealed. However there are quite a few Indian shops in Welly which she will be able to get to once she comes to NZ.

Hope this helps

Nimmi

2. parveen9

parveen9 New IL'ite

thanks nimmi

i will get in touch with them. where are u based? is there any mandir or hindu gathering / prayers organised in christchurch? i attended the ram navami prayers that were organised by fiji indians. any others that i can attend?

thanks for replying.

cheers

3. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Hi Parveen,

I live in Hamilton which is in the North Island.

There is a lovely ISCKON temple there in Chch which is worth going to although most of the people who visit/work there are Fiji Indians. Do you enjoy the cold there? Chch is a lovely place. I do not know of any other temples or other groups there but I do know there is an Ethnic Council and you will be able to find names of Indians who are on that and check with them about any other Indian groups.

Hope you are having a good time.
    Have you started classes?

With best wishes

Nimmi

4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kelly,Nimminares(nirmala),Simrananand,Parivasu(parveen)and Roopa.I am Suryakala (surya)Living in Newzealand,for the past three years,and I joined in this induslite group three months back.(approx).Pl contact me if you need any help.Have a Great night.Bye.

5. parveen9

parveen9 New IL'ite

hi nimmi,

thanks for the info. will check out where ISCKON is. i thought it would be nice to go and meet up with other indians once a while. having said that, there are quite a number of indian staff and students at the uni.. but as the saying goes, the more the merrier!!

yeah, my sessions with my supervisors have started. its going fine.. a bit slow though :) you are right nimmi, Christchurch is indeed a very lovely place. so much to see and do. i am quite used to the cold.. how is it in hamilton? i have never been up north.. so do know how it is like there. i have actually not done much sight-seeing, hoping to do that with my husband. yup, he is not here, but in malaysia. so thats the hard bit.. living here on my own without him and other family members.

how long have u been in nz? are u originally from india? do let me know if you happen to come to Christchurch, i would be nice to meet up.

i shall get back to work, but please keep in touch.

regards,
    parveen

6. nimminaras

nimminaras New IL'ite

Hi Parveen,

Good to note you are enjoying Christchurch. All the best with your studies. What are you studying?
    Hamilton is also cold but is a lovely small city. I have lived in Mumbai almost all my life and have been in NZ since the past 9 years. I love the quiet and small town life in Hamilton with no crowds and no distances. Nothing is far as everything is reachable in 20-30 minutes which is something I relish.

If you plan to come up north to Hamilton - do let me know. At this stage I have no plans of coming to Chch - but who knows when opportunities come up!!

Take care
    Nimmi

7. needinfo

needinfo New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I just landed Christchurch a week back as my husband is doing his MBA here and glad to connect to people through this site.I am not reading all of the posts just writing few words and would love to connect to people in christchurch..i am here for a vacation and if i get a job i would love to stay here till my husband is here.

The place is cool but not much of entertainment i feel.I would like to get connected with people through this.

8. shivaranjani

shivaranjani New IL'ite

Re: education In New Zealand

Dear Kelly,
    It's very interesting to know that there are so many Indians and that too IndLadies in NZ. Please guide me reg. the education system in NZ, the conditions that may have to be fulfilled for admitting in 8th or 9th grade. Also please let me know the job opportunities there. Sorry I need a quick reply.
    Luv, Shivi.

9. Kelly

Kelly New IL'ite

Hi Shivi:)

Sorry for the extreamly late reply:hide:

I havent been on the indus ladies webiste in such a long time I have been quiet busy.

Well in regards to education Im not too fimilair with the terms 8th or 9th grade, but in NZ they have a level system for Priamry & intermediate & highschool level.

When you are approx ...
    17/18 years of age you are classed as year 13
    16 years of age = year 12
    15 years of age = year 11
    14 Years of age = year 10
    13 years of age = year 09
    12 years of age = year 08
    10 years of age = year 07
    09 Years of age = year 06 ...

If you are over 18 years you usually go to university to a techinical institue.

If you are between the ages of 12/13 to 17/18 you go to high school

If you are between the ages of 10/11 to 12/13 you go to Intermediate (Junior High)

If you are between the ages of 05 to 09/10 you go to Primary school.

Some schools do a placement test so it can determin what level you can get into or depending on what education you have already had or english level you have will determin what level you get into.

With jobs, there is good opportunites, but in NZ you usually need to have NZ work experience, also some cases you have to start entry level then move your way up into a company. Also depending on what education you have or what specilsit skills you have. Also some jobs you need to be NZ registered (Nurse, Doctor, Physiotherapist, teacher)

Hope this helps, sorry again to the really late reply and sorry if the info seems a bit basic,

10. mouli_7

mouli_7 New IL'ite

Hi kelly,

Sorry for the very delayed reply to u're mail, I wasn't around.
    Hmm, finaly we r in NZ, luckily we found a property in mt albert, bit costly 550 per week, but we liked the property as we needed to we thought we'll go for it.everything sorted just one week before my hubby was planning to come!
    I came just few days back, n enjoying my newlife so far.
    bye
    shwetha