How to start my own website?

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by archana.kc, Apr 21, 2008.

1. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

Hi Archana,

You seem to have got wonderful ideas from all budding and established entreprenuers here on how to start your own website.

I just have a couple of points to make...

1. Regarding shopping cart, don't go for expensive ones. All you need is a simple payment system on your site to receive payments from those buying your products / service. Sign-up for Paypal (as suggested by AnjaliD) and it is a fool-proof less complicated instant payment system to send/receive payments from any part of the world.

2. I am sorry to say that I would not agree to the below marketing idea to get traffic to your site. No quality forum or community owner, is going to like this, unless they have a free classified section where you can list your site. By doing this you will be spoiling the reputation of your site and you will be treated as a spammer.

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by lakshmi05 [​IMG]
    The trick now is to get traffic to your blog and site - go to forums and market your website. Go to jewelry related forums and communities and participate in the discussions and sign your replies with your name and site.

I am also a newbie in these things! [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Lakshmi

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Lakshmi, ask yourself if you would allow anyone to come and spam your site with their business info. that too for free?

Instead I would suggest you approach sites for link exchanges between your site and their site. So that both sites are mutually benefitted by exchanging traffic.

Good Luck with starting a site for your business.

2. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Hi Archana,

Very gratifying to hear that you found my steps simpe and useful.
    Good luck with the blog and website.

Cheers,
    Lakshmi

3. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Hi Kanmani,

I didn't mean 'any other forum'

I meant forums related to your particular domain. If your website is all about your textile business, go to textile related forums and market your site.

This is one of the most tried and tested methods of bringing relevant traffic to your blog and has been strongly suggested by problogger, Darren Rowse.

And that’s one of the main purposes of public forums. It’s all about networking!

Cheers,
    Lakshmi

4. neetu bansal

neetu bansal New IL'ite

Dear Anjali,

i have started liking your posts as i feel you are a great human being who is always very keen to help others.

luv,
    neetu

5. vs.jyotsna

vs.jyotsna New IL'ite

Posting relevant information in 'related' forums is a good option to get your website more traffic. But I agree, one should not post something to non-relavant forums.

And also, you can submit your website to all the search engines by yourself. You dont need to spend money on SEO. And also, you can add your products to Google shopping for free.

For online payment, you can choose either Google checkout or Paypal, with no merchant account and no monthly fee. Paypal has more options than Google checkout.

Jyotsna

6. PaavaniKhanna

PaavaniKhanna New IL'ite

thank you so much Jen, for the tip on google page creator!! I have been trying to find something like this for so long!! thanks so much...one question can i keep adding pages here..and make it like a proper web site for ppl to access?

thanks again...
    Paavani

7. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Yes Paavani, you can create a proper web site but the URL will be YourName.googlepages.com .
    Also, yes, you can create and add pages to it too.

Anjali

8. PaavaniKhanna

PaavaniKhanna New IL'ite

Thanks Anjali, Will Let You Know When My Page Is Ready To Be Published!

9. mukilganesh

mukilganesh Bronze IL'ite

10. Sulkypetal

Sulkypetal New IL'ite

Hey Anjali
    you always seem so helpful...it's really good to read your comments...A positive feel I must say!

All the best to Archana as well with her website and tutorials.
    Question:
    I have website all designed, (not by me) sitting in my C drive at home. I want to put it on the net For that I just need a good technical person here in Mumbai. I can get host in US I guess. Though would prefer someone reputable in India.
    Probably when I say I am an idiot with gidgets and tech stuff but patient and catch on eventually, a lot of people can relate.
    The problem is, maybe it's not a prob, I jsut don't have enough knowledge, I just haven't run into a good English speaking techie here yet, to help me. (That sounds rude believe me it's not, the good techies are hard at work at my workplace, TCS and loads of places and I just don't run into them)
    Ok, site was up on friend's server which shut down. He had put the website up for me, I didn't have a clue. So he zipped all the files and sent to me. When it was on the server of course easy enough for me, once I learned how, to log in, and type some stuff on the blog pages, or articles page. I didn't bother with it much. It is beutiful to look at.. a bit ornate but...
    Anyways...hey if you even know someone personally in Mumbai or any good tips, I will pay them some reasonable fee ..I just don't understand, if I get US host, now, how to send them zipped files, how to go about doing all this on their server. I have the mailbox file, php, so much stuff jsut sitting there. I feel like I should just bend over and let someone kick me ...h.a.rd..I deserve it. PLEASE Help. (That friend is overseas right now, very busy...so..) I want to delete some old pages and put new ones, not site redesign though, so initially I do need a network (not systems) person's help I believe.
    Thank you Thank you Thank you