1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I have to go NOW!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

As I have my cousins many years younger than me, I get to experience my nephews and nieces and enjoy watching them grow. Above all I enjoy watching them throw tantrums at their harried mothers who then retorts at these little ones and the drama begins.
    Recently when I visited my cousin who lives in colder climates than we do, she used to get her son ready with all kinds of outerwear put on the small child.
    Maybe she is a young mother or its her first child, but sometimes mothers can be over protective.
    So she first dressed the child up in full sleeve shirts and pants and then had a sweater on and then pulled over a thick coat and finished it off with wollen cap and gloves on the small child. So much so that the child looked burdened with all these pieces of clothing atop him.
    As I watched this I could see my nephew wanting to tell something to his mother but she was more intent in getting all the clothes onto the child that she failed to notice.
    Once done over protecting the child, my cousin stepped back to view her results when the child said clearly and loudly, “I have to go NOW!”.
    The child meant a visit to the bathroom and so then followed the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">ur</st1:place></st1:City>gent removal of all these pieces of clothing so as the enable the child to rush to the bathroom.
    Since it was not happening to me I could sit back and look on this scene with a great deal of amusement. Not so was the case with my cousin who fumed and ranted on the little one who made her remove all the pieces of clothing only to be put back again. She ranted further how difficult her toddler was and <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">wis</st1:place></st1:State>hed he would grow up soon!
    Well it was not long before nature gave my turn when my teenage son started a greater tantrum regarding a visit to the Hair Cuttery place.
    His hair had been growing so much so we forgot where his forehead was or his ears where. Not that I needed to know for if I wanted to box them I could have found my way.
    Most evenings were engaged in talking back and forth with my husband and I teaming up against him. But he refused to budge.
    Till one evening last week I promised to buy him new shirts that he wanted and drove straight to the hair cuttery place.
    Once inside he resigned to get his haircut and finally we could see his eyes clearly and his forehead and ears and even the dirt that had remained hidden behind a veil of hair!
    Just when I thought it was only kids who knew how to throw a tantrum , I managed one of my own.
    When my dear mother reminded me that Diwali was around the corner and I had to clean and make sweets and savories, I gave her a piece of my mind. “Don’t I Know that I have to do all these things? After all these years!” I said but secretly glad she reminded me in advance as to the work involved which I thought I would hide the dust beneath the carpet.
    Not to be outdone my father in his seventies threw a tantrum when he was asked to rest and he did not want to.
    The more I observe seems like tantrums and such are not proprietary to just children and toddlers. Though they get the blame more than they deserve, it sprouts from everyone of all ages and sizes and shapes!

2. anukvs

anukvs Senior IL'ite

Dear AC, Great write up. Am sure, if you are not at the receiving end, enjoying the tantrums is great fun.

My in-laws and parents enjoy all the tantrums of my kids... however i get annoyed at the kids for all the tantrums they throw.

Enjoyed it very much

Anu

3. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

AC...

Enjoyed your words... it is happening in everybody's house ! :)

Be it a child...or a teen or a married son/daughter..... these tantrums are towards their(near and dear) loved ones... right ?? Also, these tantrums... are more like a freedom to me... !!! :crazy

With love,

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

AC, what a wonderful snippet. I was grinning and laughing reading your article.

Anyhow, the tantrum part is so true. I keep telling people that I am not looking forward to our 11 month old's tantrum stage, but I just had one last night with my husband, and I didn't even realize that I was doing the same thing that I am dreading. :hide: What an eye opener you write up is. :)

Raj

5. Anandchitra

Dear Anu
    When I enjoy other parents going through this phase with their children, I can tell that I am growing old!

Still its interesting to sit back and observe ...

Thanks for the kind appreciation:)

6. Anandchitra

Dear Gowri
    I never realised it could be a form of freedom. I thought it was more like rebellion!

7. Anandchitra

Raj
    You have a natural style of writing that is a pleasure to read:)

You know some children do not give trouble or throw tantrums! My son is one such child..

However I compensated for this be creating my own!

At one point I am sure my dh wished it was my son throwing the tantrum and not I:spin

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

AC, gosh I don't know how to react to such a wonderful compliment. Thank you!

I wish Riya turns out like your son... wishful thinking??! Hope not. :)

Raj

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Life wouldn't be interesting otherwise ;-) me thinks !!

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

AC,

A refreshing read for me first thing in the morning. You gave a smiling start to my day:)

Both incidents have happened at our home too. My son can now say he wants to do the job before we bundle him up. But I have done this dressing, undressing million times. When i think of it now i miss that 'oh dear i've done kakka' look on his face.

The hair-cut episode.... my parents used to conspire against my brother and now his wife is doing the same to him:thumbsup. DH often says i throw more tantrums than our son;) As nandu says life would be boring otherwise...

Latha