1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My kid doesnt speak English!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by shravanthika, Oct 18, 2008.

1. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Though it has been only a few days since my kid (4 yrs)started her Pre-K is not mingling with other kids as she is not able to communicate with them.
    Anybody faced this before?How do I train her or whats my role as a parent?

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi shravanthika..DO not worry..Kids will catch up very quickly.It will take some time to get used-say about 1-2 months.I have enrolled my son in a day care .i informed the teacher that we speak our mother tongue.Though he can follow and speak few sentences and words he may not be able to comprehend.She said thats fine.today (after 2 months) his teacher said he is speaking a lot in english and repeating.SO give your daughter some time.
    You can talk toher in english along with your mother tongue and give her a boost.

3. sreemu

sreemu Bronze IL'ite

hi shravanthika
    don't worry kids pick up the language very fast my son was in the same situation when i sent him to pre k but he picked up the language pretty fast all u have to do is communicate ti him in english also use both languages to communicate with him it will surely help him thats wht i did with my son just give him time and he will surely pick up the language
    sree

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Don't worry,very soon you will come here and post that your child is not speaking in your mother tongue but only in English...my son was also like your child,now he speaks only in English:spin

5. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI shravanthika...

That's quiet normal... nothing to worry on this.. we crossed this situation... but she mingles very well and talks in english very nicely...During the early stages of her nursery i make sure i talk to her in english at home so she picked up... so no worries...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  6. sahi

sahi New IL'ite

Hi Shravantika...

Dont worry about your kid not mingling with other kids.
    My kids were the same initially when they started preschool,but later on they adjusted well.
    Initially you could let ur kid watch some preschool programs on tv for an hour or so daily....kids learn a lot of english watching tv(mind you just one hr not more).take him to playgrounds and libraries,read lot of books to him and set up playdates with his friends at school.You will definetely see a major change in him.

Good Luckh

7. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Shravanthika.....

I would like to point out a few tips what my daughter's teacher told a few parents when we went for the oritentation.

a. Fix a time - start with 1-2 mins... where you speak only in english.
    b. Make a deal - Speaking in english while going to the market.
    c. Alternative word - Ask you daughter to say the english word for anything she sees - can be done at home or outside.
    d. Sing englsih rhymes - or make songs out of sentences.

But I'm going to say one same thing that all the ILs have said - Give her time!

Happy parenting!