All posts relating to Karwa Chauth

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Abha, Oct 19, 2007.

1. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Re: Religious info about KarwaChauth

Hi Ladies,

Happy karwaChauth to all of you!

On this significant day of Hindu Ladies, We worship Ma Gaura or Goddess Parvati.
    Married women pray to Goddess Parvati for the Happy and long life of their husbands.
    A Karva made of clay filled with some water is placed in the center.

This is how North Indian ladies celebrate Karwachauth vrat.

2. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Re: KarwaChauth Song??

Hi all,

I would like to share Prayer done by hindu Ladies after listening Karwachauth Katha.

हे चौथ माता जैसा साहूकार की बेटी को सुहाग दिया वैसा सब को देना |
    और मुझे व परिवार वालो को भी |
    हे चौथ माता सौभाग्य पुत्र और अचल लक्ष्मी सबको देना |
    मंगल करना ,कल्याण करना ||

3. PandeyKranti

PandeyKranti New IL'ite

Karwachauth Vrat Katha

Hi ladies!

I would like to share Karwachauth Vrat katha.

Once upon a time in a village ,There stays seven brothers and one sister .The sister was youngest among them. That's why everybody adored her.
    When she was 10 or 12 years of age they married her. After marriage on first karwa chauth, she came to her mother's house. Her mother-in-law affectionately sent sargai for her. She put mehndi on her hands along with her mother and bhabhis and did sargai in the morning before sunrise and kept nirjala fast . By the evening the brothers got worried that how can their small sister live without food and water till night. They consulted among themselves and decided that we will create artificial moon for our sister. Two brothers went to the forest and burnt cowdung coal. The other two brothers went home and said let's go sister the moon has risen. All her bhabhis kept quite. Sister said "let's go Bhabhi the moon has risen, lets worship the moon and offer ark to it. All the Bhabhi said "So early only your moon could have risen, You go." She was not only young but also simple hearted, she really thought everyone's moon rises separately. She hurriedly took the pooja material to the terrace. There in the forest one brother was standing with a sieve in front of the cowdung coalfire, so from distance she thought that the moon is rising from behind bushes. She offered her worship and ark to the moon .As soon as she started eating puris, she received a message from her in laws that her husband has become seriously ill suddenly. On hearing this, the Girl's father and brothers along with her rushed to her in law's house. There her husband was seriously ill. Every body was worried. Then the family inquired from priests and Astrologers. They told them that this has happened because the girl has eaten puya's, after seeing the artificial moon. Now the only solution is that till the next year karwa chauth, the girl take good care of her husband, then keep fast on Karwa Chauth and exchange karwa with Gaur Maata and make her say "le suhaagan karwa le","de suhagaan karwa de". Then her husband will be well and will live long. On hearing this, the girl decided to take good care of her husband for one year. Next year Karwa chauth arrived, her mother sent sargai for her. As per the tradition, she did sargai and kept fast. Her mother also sent material for baya, karwa and money. In the evening, all married ladies dressed up wore chunari, making preparation for the pooja, she waited to exchange karwa with Gaur Maata. When the first Gaur Maata arrived. The girl held her feet and pleaded her

She begged her again and again to say "Le Suhaagan Karwa Le" Gaur Maata said, "I won't say this. My other sisters will come, you make them say." And after saying this, she went away.
    After some time 2nd Gaur Maata came and she also went away saying what the earlier one had said. In this way they came one by one when the ninth Gaur Maara came, the girl was worried. When she begged her again and again and held her feet, then Gaur Maata said," when my youngest sister will come, you ask her , I will not say. My sister is scary looking but good at heart, don't let her go, make her say it." After some time 10th Gaur maata came. She had dark complexion, had big teeth, horrible face and was wearing lot of jewelry. When she heard the small girl pleadings, she sat down with her to exchange karwa and like other Gaur Maata's said
    "Le suhaagan karwa le". If you will say this , my husband will live. I will always worship you. Please bless me. On girls repeated pleading, Gaur Maata felt pity for her and said-Let it be so and said "Le suhaagan karwa le" and the girl said "de suhaagan karwa de". Then, the same thing was repeated by both of them in reverse order. When they said this ten times Girls husband was well again. Everybody touched Gaur Maata's feet".

4. NamitaPradhan

NamitaPradhan New IL'ite

Karwachauth ki Shubhkamnaye

Hi Ladies,

I wish you all Happy Karwachauth.May this vrat brings you and your family Happy,Prosperous and Long Life

[​IMG]

5. cute teddy

cute teddy Bronze IL'ite

Re: First Karva Chauth!!!

HI all,,
    The first Karva Chauth

Karva Chauth is a festive ritual. It is observed by married women for the well being and long life of their husbands

<!----> <!---->Observance of the first Karwa by the newly-wed is a special occasion. A newly married woman is given utmost importance by her relatives and immediate family members when she observes the fast for the long life of her husband. She is showered with blessings of blissful married life and loads of Karva Chauth gifts. As this festival is considered very important for married women, all the symbols that reflects the marriage status of a woman is in high demand such as jewelery, bangles, henna, sarees, lehnga choli and many other traditional gifts.

First Sargi

Mother-in-law prepares an elaborate Sargi (the pre-dawn Karva Chauth meal) when her daughter-in-law observes her first fast. She wakes up early to prepare a sumptuous and lavish meal inclusive of sweets and other delicacies for daughter-in-law. She blesses her daughter-in-law saying 'Sada Suhagan Raho' which means, 'may you always enjoy a blissful married life' when the latter touches her feet with reverence. She also presents her daughter-in-law with gifts, which may be a piece of jewelry or a saree on the first Karva Chauth.

Baya

Baya is a gift given to a daughter's mother-in-law on the occasion of Karva Chauth. Mothers of newly wed daughters bring gifts for all her family members. Some utensils are also included in the baya which are to be distributed amongst women who join the newly-wed on her first Karva Chauth Puja.:)

6. cute teddy

cute teddy Bronze IL'ite

Re: Karwachauth Pooja Thali

Hey friends,

:)Karva Chauth thali decoration

<!----> <!---->Adecorated thali is a very important component for performing the Karva Chauth puja. A puja thali, also known as Baya, containing the roli, vermilion, sacred water, dry fruits like almonds, pishta, etc., earthen clay pots, diyas and different types of Indian sweets, in their respective katoris, is tastefully decorated. The art of creating attractive thalis for puja may also contain the ritualistic decoration like rangoli and alpana. Puja thali can be decorated with floral designs with the help of flowers, leaves, colour and also with multicoloured pulses.
    <!----> <!---->On this auspicious day, Maa Gaura or goddess Parvati is worshiped. Married women sit around Gaura maa and pray to her for the well being and long life of their husbands. A small pitcher or Karva with some water is placed in the centre. While the story is being narrated, ladies circulate their decorated Baya thalis. After the puja, this thali is given to the eldest member of the family who blesses the woman with all the happiness in life.

Karva Chauth thali decoration ideas:

Thali Decoration with Oil

Steps:

>> Take a plain Thali, dip ear bud in any oil and draw
    <!----> <!---->desired auspicious pictures on the Thali. >> Drop some powdered sindoor/ Haldi/ any rangoli
    <!----> <!---->color on it and shake well. >> Now turn the Thali upside down to remove excess
    <!----> <!---->color powder. >> You will find design embossed on plain Thali. >> Floral desigsn looks great. >> You can wipe this and keep the same Thali for next
    <!----> <!---->pooja. Simple isn't it?
    [​IMG]

7. sonasanju

sonasanju Silver IL'ite

Hello ppl out there!!

I am gonna observe my first karwa chauth tomorrow..i.e on 17th oct 08..
    My inlaws are from Uttar pradesh (Kanpur)and they do no stay with us here in Bangalore..

Anyone from UP/kanpur, who could tel me the karwa chauth vidhi..like wat I have to arrange in the thali etc..would be of great help......
    I am quite tensed as its my first karwa and I want to do it properly...

My MIL told me that since its my first vrath I can drink water and have tea...

Ladies..please help me out!!

Cheers
    Sona

8. gunjanchhikara

gunjanchhikara New IL'ite

Hi tr
    I can help you with that.
    Well if your mother In law has given you the permission to drink water then you can drink it after you have done the puja in the evening.But you can hv it only once i.e after the Katha.
    In the puja thali you need to make one diya og atta and put some ghee and light it up when you see the moon.you also need to keep sindoor and rice and one banana and meethi matthi.
    After the puja you have to gv the meethi matthi to your mother in law and if thats not possible your husband can have it.

I hope it helps.
    All the Best.:thumbsup:-)

9. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Hi all ,

You can see various posts related to Karwachauth in this forum only.Just type Karwachauth in seach.
    I would like to suggest sonasanju that she should take water and tea or milk.Since its her first Karwachauth and in this whatever you do you have to follow life long.
    When you will conceive problay it helps ou a lot.

10. itspam20

itspam20 New IL'ite

Karva Chauth when you have your dates

Hi,

This is my 1st Karva Chauth after marriage.
    I have my periods going on .... Tomorrow (17th) is my 6th day....
    Do u think i can perform karva Chauth....

Kindly let me know soon, as i have just half a day to decide..

Thanks,
    PamDash.