1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter....and Why I read it?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Jenz, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Harry Potter Series....possibly one of the last series i would have picked up in my reading list. However, i should say i have finished 3 volumes of it. But what made me pick this one up....and add to the list of my passion?

Being in a foreign land, Germany, it is not easy to find some English books for reading on the book stores. Few stores have collection of only fiction or literature books in english....which is not my usual subject of reading!
    During the initial days when i started living in germany, desparate to read some english books....i only saw a good deal of fiction ones. I never spend my money on some fiction books...which interests you only till you finish it. There is nothing to go back to....once it is finished.
    So i never wanted to buy those attractive fiction titles....! But again, why Harry Potter?

This book was taking the world with more than a tsunami wave! News broadcasts even published adults reading this. Then i found out that parents read it to find out what their children are reading (atleast i think so).

With such a success prevailing and desparate enough to read some book, along with the thought of not to miss this record breaking success of my times, i decided to read one.
    It was a welcome choice, in the times of getting bored with just BBC & CNN as the only english channels on TV.

It is extremely childish (as intended), yet a definite page turner...as volumes grew.
    More so, it kept your mind completely distracted from the daily pressures...and it simply didn't require any thinking....on uncovering the plots.

It helps you get a bit childish and get out of your daily stress....! Great Stress Reliver though! ;-)

SO DID YOU READ HARRY POTTER SERIES?? SHARE WHAT MADE YOU READ THAT SERIES?!!!

Cheers
    Jenz

2. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Hi Jenz

Yep. I have read all the 7 books in that series. I enjoyed reading each one of them.
    What made me read it -- obviously my sons' interest in them and I started reading just for their sake. We actually started with the movie of the 1st story of the series and then moved onto the book.

But I always felt that JKR flicked these ideas from our epics, which was always full of those magic described in these series.... Nevertheless, Kudos to JKR for making young children move back to book-reading from TV / video games / computers!

Hope you enjoy reading the others in the series too!

Cheers!

3. sithu1985

sithu1985 New IL'ite

I m Chitra from TamilNadu and to be frank I didn't have the habit of reading English books since I was a slow English readerDrowning. My younger sister used to narrate me Harry potter story from the very first part, but then I didn't have mush interest. Once it happened that I watched Harry Potter movie and was excited:whistle. Then I tried reading and I was unable to leave down the book before completing every part. So interesting and each and every small incident in the book is well narrated Bowand nothing is left loose. Everything had an explanation and I ve completed all the 7 parts:clap. So sad that it s over with those 7 parts.

4. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Good to hear from you both. Nice to see different reasons why we read that series.
    So did you feel like going back to your childish days while you read it?? Did you imagine playing a role in it with your friends???

Cheers
    Jenz

5. lepriya

lepriya New IL'ite

hi friends

i am also harry potter fan , read all seven books quite interesting .
    even now when i get bored from my routine job i pick up harry potter ( any part )
    and read with the same interest when i read it during my first time , i feel like meeting my old friends - ron , harry , hermione , hagrid each character have their own speciality and uniqness

priya

6. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Haha...so it brought out the child in you!! Good...:)

Cheers
    Jenz

7. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

I am also a fan of the HP series...
    I actually saw the movie first - HP and the philosopher's stone!! I loved it sooo much that I picked up all 4 books and read them (only 4 books were out by then) ...and there started my craze about the HP books... I then read the 5th, 6th and 7th on the very day they came out (E-books forwarded by friends)

I still love all of the books...7th was a perfect ending!
    Love it...Love it...Love it!! Why? I dont know, I just love it!! :) and I dont find the book kiddish at all!! I know many grown ups who love the book more than I do!!

Cheers,
    Vidhya

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Jenz
    I read the first book as soon as it came out. At that time this craze had not built up.
    I really liked the first book so waited for the second. And I finished reading them all but liked only the first and little bit the last one.
    Watched all the movies and thought they were well taken.

9. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

Hello,

Even I am a great fan of Harry Potter.. I started reading it after some 2 books were out.. One of my roomie at that time highly recommended it to me and thats how I started.. But once I started, i became addicted to it. I used to read all the remaining books in the series within weeks they got released.. I also got a gang of girls at workplace where we used to have timeless discussions on "whether Snape is helping Harry" or "Who is Harry in love with" etc etc..

So overall I had a good entertainment from these books.. But these days at times I don't find to read some books as interesting as HP .. Always I think there should be more books in the series so that it can keep me occupied for some more days :coffee Anyone else with me here ??

Regards,
    Malar

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  10. preeyaWT

preeyaWT New IL'ite

i am also harry potter fan , read three books quite interesting .