April 2009 mommies - Welcome!

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by AnithaA, Aug 20, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Quickly,
    Gender can be determined early if you go for a CVS or down syndrome test. I have opted not to go for them, because they are usually prescribed for women over 35. The test carries very little risk of miscarriage. Hence my choice.

I would suggest " Pregnancy for Dummies" DVD. It has 4 series one for each trimester. I found it very nice. You can get it from library.Of course " What to Expect" is always there. You all must be having a copy of it.

Sleeping is one of my most cherished activities ;-)..Gonna miss it later :-(

My next appt is on 11th October. And the doc will not perform Ultrasound. Just a regular check up with some blood tests.
    Last week of october I suppose many of us will get to know the gender of baby.
    I am curious big time !

Do you all have any gut feelings ? I feel mine is boy :)

Keep writing !!

I have started making Navarthri Sundals. Beans and legumes and I have cup of it everyday now :).
    Protein is taken care of.
    How do you get your Calcium and Iron ? Dariy products are there, but I am not sure if they are complete enough for our daily calcium requirements.

What other groups of food are essential now ?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. drli

drli New IL'ite

Hey Diya
    I have a printout of my ultrasound too...keep looking at it every often.....when I went i for a check up ,I was 6 wks along...n they saw the heart beat....my hubby saw it too
    it was such an exciting moment for us....
    I am sure it was exciting lookin at ur baby for the first time on the ultrasound for u suba.
    Isnt it an amazing feeling?....the miracle of a life within us :)

Anitha, the concept of knowing the sex is western ....
    people are particular the infant boys dont wear pink ...n girls dont wear blue....
    I donno why they have this...kids look good in all colors
    more than anything...parents will be dying to know the sex in advance ?

from what i have heard it will be atleast 16-20wks before they can make out the sex of the baby on an ultrasound

Diya, i have a slight tummy too...not too prominent....its almost looks bloated
    my weight has not changed but my butt n boobs look bigger :)
    I think people can guess if they really notice

MeenLoch, My doctor mentioned something like ...i dont have to worry much about calcium in the first trimester...she said she will give me calcium supplements after 3mos
    But i think to get the required amount of calcium we should drink 4 glasses milk per day...that will be a lil difficult....so i try to have1 glass milk , some yoghurt or curds with my food
    some almonds etc
    as for iron...spinach , dates, have you heard of ragi powder..its a staple part of kannadiga diet...i believe its rich in nutrients....i mix a lil bit of ragi with rice flour in some recipes....I make rotis with ragi powder itself
    if you are a non vegetarian you can eat liver for iron...but its not advised much when u r pregnant

one more thing...vitamin c helps absorption of iron from our stomach so when possible....try to combine the two....like eat ur orange , broccolli with ur iron food source

regards
    Merli

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  3. diyaa

diyaa New IL'ite

Meenloch...gender can be determined through ultrasound as early as 12 weeks also. No need for CVS or amniocentesis. There is a new way to tell. "It's the angle of the genital tubercle in relation to the spine. It has to be a side profile shot with the babies spine flat". However, not all sonographists are trained with this method. Of course, the accuracy factor is less at 12 weeks. That is why they ask us to wait at least till 16 weeks so that we dont go through the process of being told incorrect gender. I guess there are some ultrasound videos in youtube where gender has been told at 12 weeks.

Hey gals, youtube is a wonderful resource. I have watched several videos on normal delivery and C-section. So, I'm kind of mentally prepared and aware of both the processes. You too can check it out but you have to be BRAVE to watch those videos!! They are real videos taken in hospital or home births. If you think you wont like the sight of blood and all that pain then dont watch it. tsk May be you can watch demonstration videos.

Drli, yeah, i know ragi. It is an amazing source for iron and many other minerals. I sometimes eat ragi rotti or add ragi powder to gangi and drink.

4. simibiju

simibiju New IL'ite

hi all,
    i am also joining the club.it is my second baby and my EDD is april 5th. my first baby is a boy who is also an arien.this time i hav some external bleeding.hav done two scanning.now everything fine.

5. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

Hi All ,

Iam also joining this club and my expected due date is April 6th.I will be back with more stories and whats happenning with me.

Bye
    Mitra

6. rekhat

rekhat New IL'ite

Hi all expecting moms :cheers

I guess after a long time...i wanted to write about my visit to the OBN but could not make it.just still deciding whether to go back to india or not,finances and of course my nausea and constipation side by side.to top it all we had virus in our laptop so had to reinstall everything....Rant

as i had told we had a appointment on the 09th sep but unfortunately when we reached there we understood she was only a gynae and not a OBN .( guys in this expesive paradise gynae cannot deliver and tell you any information abt your baby).so that visit was just waste of time.she just did a pap smear test for me.then by god's grace after a lot of contemplation for a american OBN we got a appointment for 18th sep ( the most memorable day of my life).this time while taking appointment we made sure wheather they all the facilities to check the status on the baby.

we had a jewish doc.they took urine sample and blood test and then finally in the ultrasound room.i was tensed...doc said in one minute you can see the baby on the screen.my legs were shaking thinking on the out come.i was 10 weeks 3 days and till date not even heard my baby once.:hide:then he switched on the screen ,for 2 secs the room was silent.my dh was beside me.we were praying hard.then suddenly white images appeared in the screen,we did not understand anything.the doc said can you see the heartbeat.i thought how can i see it...and then the screen changed and there it was OUR BABY a small head and body,legs,hands moving.i was in tears of joy:bowdown.my dh held my hands tight.he could not just take his eyes off the screen.then the doc increased the volume,we heard the horse galloping 160 beats.doc said your baby is quite active.it kept on moving.:rotfl

we got the picture...( which my dh keeps on looking) ,lots of magazines,a diary to write my experience and prenatal multivitamins.as my nausea i am not able to intake much of food i hope this tablets shud serve the purpose.

after a long time today i am not feeling nausea,i feel a bit energetic...the day is going good.:thumbsup

mommies now i think most of us would have completed our first trimester by now and hope we sit back and enjoy our pregnancy.may be for me too the nausea phase is over......
    i have got a first screening test on 7th oct and then doc visti on 13th oct.any idea abt first screening test?? i would be calling the hospital to find out.its not in the clinic but in the hospital....

do share your ultrasound experiences....
    cheers
    rekhat

7. simibiju

simibiju New IL'ite

my son is eagerly waiting to see the baby.everytime he is speaking of the baby.he is 4 yrs old.i am still having omitting espeacially evening times. evening times unbearable...is anybody hav this problem......morning i am o.k...i think i hav gas also....any way i am enjoying.....

8. rekhat

rekhat New IL'ite

Hi simi:hiya

i am also sailing in the same boat.
    morning evrything goes smooth but in the night my baby insists me on sleeping empty stomach.i have to vomit all the dinner before i strike the bed.
    so now i am having quite heavy meals as breakfast and lunch and dinner just little snacks.earlier i used to take my multivitamin in the night i have changed it to taking it in the afternoon.

guys i have a strong gut feeling its a girl for me.:crazy
    my stomach is not showing at all .i am fitting into my clothes easily.but when a lie down to my side then my stomach turns like a watermelon.i guess after fews weeks we all will start showing.

keep in touch
    rekhat

9. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

It has been some time since I have posted! My BIL's wife and their baby(2 months old) had come home and time just flew! I could barely log in to check the messages here. I did visit the doc on 1st. My husband saw the baby properly that day. Unfortunately for him, the baby was sleeping during the scan. The doc said everything is normal and has prescribed iron and calcium supplements. From now on, I will have to visit her only once a month - A big relief! :) As for thetests, she said they do not perform any except for a scan in the fifth month and some blood work. I asked around here and found that not many docs here do all the tests that are done in the west.

Suba, I am not sure this nausea thing is true. My BIL's wife never had any nausea and they have a girl! Hope all your tests went fine.

Diyaa, yes I have started showing slightly. My dresses which fit properly earlier are tight around my belly! DH too says my belly has started protruding :) And yes, I have watched those videos on youtube too. They are really nice - shows us the reality instead of scaring us.

Meenloch, it is wonderful that you are making all those sundals! I guess I am becoming too lazy - will have to buck up from now on.

Merli, my mom too keeps asking me to take ragi - somehow I am unable to take it. And yes, I too dislike milk. So the doc has given me a milk supplement and has asked me to drink milk atleast twice a day. Now I feel milk tastes better.

Simibiju, hearty congratulations and welcome to the club! Hope you are enjoying your second pregnancy.

Mitra, Congratulations again and welcome. So whats happening with you?

Rekha, nice to hear from you. Good to know that everything is fine. Do keep writing.

Hope all of you are doing well. I will post the updated list of mommies and their due dates soon. Lets keep writing.

Regards,
    Anitha

10. sharma_shilpa

sharma_shilpa New IL'ite

Hi All,
    Hope everyone is doing fine and keeping a good health :). My holidays are finally over and joined back my office today, its good to see new members in in our group, Welcome Simibiju and Mitra and hearty congratulations.

I enjoyed my holidays by taking good rest at home and relaxing at a small hill station :coffee and feeling totally fresh after so many days

I also had my checkup on 29th Sep doctor did the Ultra Sound and found everything normal. For the first time my husband saw the baby and listen to the heart beat :)

Doctor gave me lots of medicines of Vitamin, Mineral, Calcium Hydrogen, Phosphate dehydrate and DHA but my blood test is still due in the third week of October. I also got green signal for some exercise like a walk and slow treadmill @ 5-7 Kms/hr.

Will write more....

Take care

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008