anyone used Vista yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KrutikaRao, Sep 16, 2008.

1. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

Thanks Bhaskee.

I'm looking at HP/Dell. I have not decided on the configuration yet.
    But I wonder whether all the drivers for peripherals have Vista update yet.

I plan to use the laptop for internet, movie view, work on VS 2005, SQL server 2005.

Can I watch my usual CDs, DVDs, dowload pics from my cameras without any hassle?

Krutika

2. jaanu_2721

jaanu_2721 Bronze IL'ite

yup.. am using vista in my lappy. the main problem is it dont have command prmpt, so some programs depended on c,c++, unix cant be executed on vista.. so am facing problem with this. and it needs a minimum of 3gb ram! but xp doesnt need all these na..coz of heavy graphics it mat be eyecatching, and attractive. but check ur comforts first..:thumbsup

3. bhaskee

bhaskee New IL'ite

Jaanu : Command Prompt is there on ALL Windows Operating Systems. Click Start > Run > Type cmd > Click ok --you will see the command prompt and you can also execute your c, c++ programs :thumbsup

4. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite

Yes, Am using Vista on my desktop. It works fine. you can download pictures and videos from ur camera.

WHen ever you install a s/w make sure you use a Vista compatible version.

Anitha Srinivas

5. krithiks

krithiks New IL'ite

Hi Kruthika
    I have been using Vista for over a year now. It is much better than XP, not just in terms of eye-candy. For some reason, Vista suffers from a lot of bad publicity.
    If you do buy a laptop pre-installed with Vista, make sure you download and install service pack 1 as well.
    I'm sure you will have a good experience.
    Regards
    Krithika

6. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Vista is sure better when compared to XP in terms of look & feel. But, unfortunately, Vista didnt secure a good name in the market compared to XP. XP when launched was not welcomed but soon gained popularity. Some little drawbacks on end user side for Vista are :
    - Memory hungry,u need atleast 2gb RAM to make vista happy
    - More hard disk space
    - Drivers incompatibility, till date, many vendors are still finicky in releasing drivers to support vista (even msn messenger at times has problem :rotfl)

A state in US postponed upgrade of 10000+ machines to vista due to performance issues. Due to its unwelcome, Microsoft has extended support of XP for a longer period than planned earlier.

To summarize, XP rocks :)