1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Learning From Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by hrastro, Jun 9, 2023.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

युक्ति युक्तं प्रगृह्णीयात् बालादपि विचक्षणः।
    रवेरविषयं वस्तु किं न दीपः प्रकाशयेत्॥
    "A wise person receives knowledge even from a child.
    Doesn't a tiny lamp illuminate places where even the sun cannot reach"

My full time work is with a school that teaches science, history, geography and maths in sanskritam medium.
    I'm sure most of you would guess correctly that I am responsible for maths (or Ganitam as we call it)
    The students - even the 5 year olds - express themselves beautifully in sanskritam

I wanted to share a few episodes where I have learnt from the little ones -

Episode 1:
    At the beginning of the summer vacation I was talking to a 1st std student
    (I had just completed a discussion with the parent in english and therefore, I continued speaking in english)
    I asked - what are you going to do during holidays?
    He said - "I will have to study everyday for 1 hour at least"
    I asked - why?
    He replied "Acharya, I will ... I will ... I will... mmm... I will vismarami" (Vismarami in sanskritam means "I will forget")

I was wonder struck - when we speak our native languages (I also speak sanskritam, hindi, telugu, tamil fluently), if we get stuck for a word, we insert an english word - and here this 6 year old inserts sanskritam words when he gets stuck while speaking english ...
    With just a few months in a sanskritam medium school, a little kid picked up enough sanskritam to make it his primary language.
    I learnt that everyday practice can make a difference to our skills and capabilities

Episode 2:
    On the Bhagavad Gita day celebrations, we had students participating - they did not just chant the slokas, even the 8 year old students discussed the sloka's learnings with examples - each student said a sloka, explained it and gave one example from the puranas and itihasas and one example from their modern lives.

We usually read the Bhagavad Gita - we chant or just try to understand the meaning - I usually enjoy doing the sandhi-vicchedah (break up the sandhis) and trying to understand and explain a sloka but now I also apply it to our everyday modern life...

Episode 3:
    On the republic day, we usually think about stories and biographies of the freedom fighters or great personalities
    But my students took up themes - hard work, determination, bravery, unity in diversity, satyagraha, nationalism, festivals etc... and each student argued and proved with examples how a particular theme applied to India's success !
    It was an eye-opener to listen to each story - I learnt how the underlying themes of valour, unity, traditions can lead to success (not just for our country)!

Episode 4:
    A 6 year old student spent some time with me - so while talking he told me the story of Rantideva (it is in Srimad Bhagavatam) - he stated it completely in Sanskritam and then recited the sloka he was taught -
    न त्वहं कामये राज्यं न स्वर्गं नापुनर्भवम् ।
    कामये दुःखताप्तानां प्राणिनाम् आर्तिनाशनम् ॥

Once he told the sloka, obviously I asked him to explain the meaning - he said "Acharya, the itihaasa acharya told the story and taught the sloka, but I dont know the meaning (Aham artham na jaanami)"
    I said - why not try it yourself!
    He seriously took my advice - and tried !
    He just repeated the sloka 3-4 times and was able to say the meaning - he said he didnt know the meaning of "Apunarbhavam" - so I told him it was moksha - but with the rest he was able to explain the sloka.
    "I desire neither kingdom nor heaven nor even liberation. I just want that all living beings who are afflicted by sorrow should not suffer any pain."

I learnt that just by repeatedly trying and not getting "Fear of failure paralysis" we can do new things easily.

Episode 5:
    For the Ganitam (maths) project, I had asked the older students to present specific concepts from specific texts, but for the little kids - 1st and 2nd std - I said - express any favourite maths concept in any way you want !

I was surprised by each performance - they did yogasanas and bharatanatyam to express numbers, there were puppet shows, shadow plays, models, puzzles and quiz shows to explain math concepts... One 3rd std student even gave us acharyas some homework too!

I learnt that we wear some coloured spectacles and look at things from one point of view - but kids dont have those specs and are open to new ideas and expressions.

I learn everyday from the children I meet.

I have many more episodes but would like to hear some from you all too
    Please do share your own stories of learning from children!

Keep smiling
    HR

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023

2. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

kids of this generation are getting smarter and smarter in their own way..we do get to learn lot of things from them if we observe closely, but being adult we wont pay attention that much..

hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@hrastro,

When I was teaching the morals to the young adults in the US, I learned a lot from the children I was teaching. A 14 year old girl who joined my class because she got so addicted to Instagram told me how attending classes helped her overcome her addiction. I asked her to explain why and she responded, "She understood that prevention is better than cure". My class on social media addiction helped her understand how she could have made lifestyle changes had she been aware of things shared in this class.

I introduced the concept of austerity to all the children through a catchy phrase, "What is in your wardrobe?" They all did the efforts to be conscious of what they own, what they no longer use, how much they buy without thinking through whether they need it or not at the start of the school as their parents are willing to spend. They explained what they were trying to do to their parents resulting in them practicing austerity themselves.

I gave an assignment for each one of them to come up with a report of what should be the composition of Vitamins and Minerals, Carbohydrate, Protein, Fat, and Fiber in their meal for a day and what type of food would have that composition in what they like to eat. Since all of the kids were vegetarians they came up with some great ideas and some of them was helpful to me personally.

Lastly, I gave them the task of growing a plant in a pot and write a paragraph about what they observe each day in the growth of the plant. Some of what I wrote were extraordinary and we discussed throughout this practical applications how each thought, word or action contribute to our growth and development.

hrastro, swarnamary and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

We can only lead life mindfully - observe what we can learn from the environment around us...

Life is all about learning and experiencing the deep and unbinding truth - that we are one with the universe

@Viswamitra ji - very interesting learnings

Just like the wardrobe as well as the food composition activity - we did one project last Diwali - every student was supposed to keep track of their family's expenses during the festival ... the idea being that once we pay attention to the expenses - we automatically start using our vitakṣaṇa & viveka (वितक्षण & विवेक) and automatically we decide on either postponing or cancelling unnecessary/impulsive purchases/eating...

I really enjoyed reading your stories !

Keep smiling
    HR

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

A mom responded to a question from her toddler baby - “ Gods are up above in sky” . They were walking back home from school.
    A while later it started drizzling.
    Toddler quipped - “ Mom, Is it Gods pissing from sky?”
    It was dharmasankad now for mom to react or respond!
    With due apologies to OP & other respondents here.

vidukarth likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

The children by themselves are pure and unaffected and all these questions are temproary impact created by the corrupt minds in the world. Such question from a child is obviously because she has an environment (other than her mom) that makes her ask such questions. The best way to address such question is God is everywhere including up in the sky and it is His grace that helps the world to function with all the parameters that are needed for life to exist. One of them is rain and we need to respect all five panchabhudas including Earth, Water, Air, Fire and Ether. In fact, the entire world (Macrocosm) is made out of this five panchabhudas including the human body. Once there is an effort made by the parents, such questions from the children will disappear. It is not the intention of the child to embarass her parents but she is such a victim of the environment the adults create for them. All the adults have a duty and obligation to leave a world that is worth living for the next generation and that includes not only creating a good character in the children but also conduct ourselves worthy for the children to emulate.

Note: Some opinions are better unsaid in an otherwise invaluable thread like this irrespective of the temptation.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I agree with the note too.
    But the mother in question is now a grand mother and the little has become mother. After the remarks of the little one only the mother had learnt to say "God is omnipresent". She now a grand mother and naturally had become wiser after the event.
    Regards.

hrastro and Viswamitra like this.
  8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

I can sight the following examples of my daughter.
    1. She was just 3 years old and we used to ask her to call the Rikshwalla from the balcony of our second-floor house whenever we planned to go out. She would loudly call-Rikhwale, Rikshwale and there would be some at the gate. Now, we were visiting our village in the hills and a part was to be walked uphill. I put her on my shoulders and after a while she was shouting-Rikhwale! Rikhwale!
    2. We were moving into a busy market windowshopping. She was 6 years old. She was walking along with us. At one point we realized that she is not with us. Scared, we looked around and I ran back. She was standing there. She did not move once she realized that she has lost us and stayed put where she was, sure enough, that we will come back anyway to look for her.

We can learn a lot from children.

hrastro likes this.
  9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Your daughter had confidence in your love for her!

I remember once when my son was < 8 months old (19yo now) - not yet talking but could crawl around
    We had visited a relative - he was playing with everyone, but when his meal time came, he just came near me and started crawling around me ...
    My aunt asked - Does he never cry for food?
    I said - He is confident that I will never let him go hungry and always give food on time!

And suddenly I realized from my own words - he is confident that the world loves him and he is secure in that feeling
    Sometimes as adults we lose that security - we become defensive against the world, we think that the world is out to get us - while the other people in the world are probably just living their life, maybe even with their own insecurities !
    That was a real eye-opener and I spent all night thinking if or when I act insecure and should I be more assured about myself.
    That's when I decided to Keep smiling
    HR

sum14, HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Hahaha - every little incident with a child makes us wiser :)

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.