1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction To Geeta

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 5, 2023.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Pleased to know that you teach in Sanskrit medium in a school. In other words, this school is taught in Sanskrit medium which is a good sign. Obviously, the board exam papers are in Sanskrit and the answers are also in Sanskrit.
    Most of these students must also be equally conversant in their mother tongue, in addition to one more language, maybe English.
    The bottom line is jobs are not available with only Sanskrit as a medium of expression except possibly in teaching and temples.

kaluputti and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. HariLakhera

In Nutsell, have faith.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Sir i too studied in the same school ( 1952-59) and college 1961-64 and probably we have met in school. But glad that we are destined to meet virtually in IL (since 27th July, 2017)

4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Yes, our students learn 3 languages - sanskritam, mother tongue and english - in the current world they need to know english as a language of communication and knowledge of scientific and mathematics vocabulary....

But I wouldnt agree with you on the "teaching and temples" - I also do career counselling for youngsters and you will be really surprised at the kind of opportunities students and youngsters have with exposure to multiple languages, native languages - (including software jobs to do OCR, digitization, Natural language processing, Artificial Intelligence, machine learning etc - stating this list as this is what most people count as success)

I meet a lot of IIT professors and students and Padmabhushans in my work - and they are all passionately involved in researching and learning from the Indian Knowledge systems - and these are all students who have given up highly paid software jobs abroad or are toppers at some IIT/IIM or UK/US universities and given it up to come and explore their heritage...

The founders of my school, the teachers involved and the parents of most of our students are successful doctors, technocrats, business owners, lawyers and educationists from all over the world...

So please do not dismiss this entire body of Indian sanskrit texts enthusiasts as "just " teaching and temples !
    Please open your minds to the various possibilities of learning our native languages and the mother of all languages - looks like I should write a longer article on the available opportunities... but later..

Keep smiling
    HR

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Thyagarajan
    Why virtually? We can make it real too! :blush:
    I finished my SSLC in 1956 when Shri TPS Varadhan was Head Master.

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

L
    thank you Sir. Yes it was TPS THE TALL STOUT TOWERING headmaster. I passed sslc in 1959. IN 1960s Shri Sowri rayan or Soundararajan succeeded SHRI TPS.
    YES Sir. We can make it real - one of these days.
    Regards.

kaluputti, HariLakhera and Cheeniya like this.
  7. HariLakhera

I am really pleased to know that. I am not aware of the opportunities available to Sanskrit scholars in professional fields like engineering, medicine, law, etc. This is partly because english prevails in these areas the world over.
    Having said that, there is room for every language in today's developing diverse world.

hrastro, Thyagarajan and kaluputti like this.
  8. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri. HariLakhera ,
    here I am again after a long gap, meeting you, ( your thread) surprisingly about Geetha, yes, noted that it is not a person but THE scriptural text. My g.father was a sanskrit pundit in Sanskrit college, Chennai, my father knew this language, no wonder, since he used to quote verses. Then to our shame, we the daughters didnt learn, not even Hindi, being in the era of 'Hindi agitation'..! What to say about Sanskrit? The least our father could do was to gift all of us during his last days a big, hefty, book of 'Sanskrit to English' translation/ dictionary..:grinning:
    Then as grown ups we took interest in spiritual matters and some years back I happened to be a neighbor to a lady , a regular listener to vedanta texts. I asked her to teach me Sanskrit. Her reply was that she was not that well versed to teach the language but suggested to read Bagavad Gita Home Study course by Sw.Dayanada Saraswathi, and slowly grasp the language & the meaning..
    Though first I was apprehensive, I had started entertaining an urge to know about our scriptures, so I agreed. It was a real turning point of my life, since I also started listening to Sw.Paramarthananda, a student of Dayanandaji, Listening to his talks in English where he quotes sanskrit verses and gives meaning word by word and explaining it through the interpretations of various acharyas' commentaries. Now I feel satisfied that it is enough to learn the meaning and the gist of the matter than the actual language itself, since there can never be any exact translation for a lot of terms and expressions in that language.
    Actually vedantic study should start from Bagavad Gita since the problem faced by Arjuna is similar to our everyday problems. Once we understand the core point of this text, no language is a barrier to gaining insight or knowledge about anything towards our quest for happiness is my humble opinion...thanks for your post.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Sanskrit cannot be the only language taught here in India, since it is 3 language formula...ji!

Thyagarajan and HariLakhera like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Indian sanskrit scholars heard to be minting money in foreign universities in Unified Germany and in China, Taiwan & Hongkong & Russia. As translators sanskrit scholars are recognised as rare breeds in west and other asian countries.

HariLakhera likes this.