1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The history of 'bride seeing' ceremony!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 15, 2008.

1. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

So you "saran adayafied" to the genius of your FIL, rather than the melting charms of your future wife ! You are a very practical man.

I doubt if any girl sits down with a stringed instrument and delivers a full keerthanai nowadays. Who has the patience ! Moreover, the venue for the mutual-appraisal meeting has shifted to more public areas. A restaurant or the clubhouse. Or Skype .The Sojji- bajji combo is entirely dispensed with. A cold coffee and brownie will do just as nicely. And the "other formalities" are usually discussed ( haggled over) by parents, uncles-aunts and the Intermediary, if any, totally shutting out the Boy and the Girl.

All the poetry from the olden day's Bride Seeing Occassion has withered away into a smart handshake over the sealing of the JV . No song and dance about it !

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya
    What you have written gives me the same feeling that I got when I first read George Orwell's 1984. 'Oh my God' I thought. It was in early 60's that I read that book and I could not believe that a Big Brother with such sweeping powers would arrive to enslave each and every one of us. It is a nice feeling that a quarter of a century has passed since the deadline for totalitarianism set by Orwell expired. We continue to enjoy our freedom though we do hear of an occasional aberration.

The modern version of 'bride seeing ceremony' which you call as 'mutual-appraisal meeting' is bereft of all the colour and gaiety of the traditional version. The other day I saw a Sastrigal sporting gilded hair. It is strange that when the ritualists are getting more colourful, the rituals they perform are fast losing all their sheen!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

My revered ever Guru Sir @Cheeniya ,

Thank you for drawing me to
    This Fifteen year old post of yours that begins with great deal of analysis from days of epic Ramayan and Mahabharata. Hilarious throughout 13 pages 122 boxed responses and nuggets too that discuss in-depth and lively meaningful debates and questions validity of penn parkum padalam with glistening S & puffed up B in modern days of mutual appraisals all a prequel to a wedding in Indusland or in bharat aka India(after1947)
    I enjoyed reading (some responses I re-read ) from your huge esteemed matured followers. Looks like this post must be one of your magnum opus.
    Few of the passages from responses I enjoyed in excess over others are quoted above.
    Painstaking humourist you are!
    Regards.
    God Bless

Cheeniya likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

@Thyagarajan
    My dear Thyagu
    I am overwhelmed by your response. At one time, I was a regular contributor to my Senile Ramblings. I had a nice group of members that inspired me to write more and more. Most of them have stopped being active in the group and that slowly brought about my inaction.

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Anna

Start writing again .We miss your ramblings.
    Though.same group of member are not there,
    @Thyagarajan u bro will respond and me too

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you sister @iyerviji for mentioning my name with yours here implying "alacrity & enthusiasm ".
    Regards.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    iyerviji likes this.