1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction To Geeta

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 5, 2023.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Some say that Sanskrit was the language of the Brahmins and they made it so complicated that it went beyond the reach of other castes.
    Even though Sanskrit was my subject in High School and I can recite many shlokas verbatim but when it comes to reading, i get lost.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I studies Sanskrit both in school Hindu High School, Triplicane) and in college (Presidency). Megha Sandesha of Kalidasa and Dasakumara Charithra were the prescribed texts in my degree course. The alliteration in Dasakumara Charithra is mind blowing.
    No language is communal if it promotes harmony. Known for his crusade against communalism and promotion of communal harmony, Pandit Birajdar was among half a dozen Muslim pandits in the country whose knowledge of Sanskrit earned them accolades.
    Tolerance is the key to knowledge and wisdom.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

GITA OF THE PEOPLE
    BUY THE PEOPLE
    &
    FAR AWAY
    FROM THE PEOPLE

4. Thyagarajan

If In the beginning the language was only that of Almighty, how and when other language(s) originated and why there was need for another set of languages fir communication? Just this question at the back of my mind ...

HariLakhera likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

There are hundreds of languages and dialects in India. Most of them evolved from Sanskrit, as they claim. In the same way, there are thousands of languages and dialects in the world. Languages evolve with time, some words get lost, some new ones are added and some are corrupted.
    The basic purpose of language is communication. H G Wells is said to have used only 500 words in his all writings. So did Gandhi. Yet there are books one has to refer to the dictionary to understand the meaning.
    For common people even literary language is complicated, be it Hindi or any language.

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  6. HariLakhera

Pleased to note that you studied Sanskrit at the college level. It is beautiful and musical at the same time. However, like Latin, it is complicated for those who do not understand this. Of course, there have been great learners of Sanskrit outside the Hindu religion. Similarly, there are great Hindu learners of Urdu.
    My only point is that it is a tough language and that is why there are few students of this language. The other reason is that we learn the language that gives us jobs.

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I totally agree with the last point:blush:

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

My full time work is with a school that teaches science, history, geography and maths in sanskritam medium.
    (No need to state here that I am responsible for maths)
    The students - even the 5 year olds - express themselves beautifully in sanskritam

At the beginning of the summer vacation I was talking to a 6 year old student
    (I had just completed a discussion with the parent in english and therefore, I continued speaking in english)
    I asked - what are you going to do during holidays?
    He said - "I will have to study everyday for 1 hour at least"
    I asked - why?
    He replied "Acharya, I will ... I will ... I will... mmm... I will vismarami" (Vismarami in sanskritam means "I will forget")

I was wonder struck - when we speak our native languages (I also speak sanskritam, hindi, telugu, tamil very fluently), if we get stuck for a word, we insert an english word - and here this 6 year old inserts sanskritam words when he gets stuck while speaking english ...

On the Bhagavad gita day celebrations, we had students participating - they did not just chant the slokas, even the 8 year old students discussed the sloka's learnings with examples - one example from the puranas and itihasas and one example from their modern lives.

I learn everyday from these kids
    युक्ति युक्तं प्रगृह्णीयात् बालादपि विचक्षणः।
    रवेरविषयं वस्तु किं न दीपः प्रकाशयेत्॥
    A wise person receives advice even from a child, just as a small lamp illuminates places where the sun cannot reach

Keep smiling
    HR

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    sum14, HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Politicians exhort the locals to learn speak write chaste local language and encourage students and local public to learn and study local language. In tamil Nadu locals are expected to learn and love Tamil while their children sent to convent school with English as medium of instruction. See the irony!

HariLakhera likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

I hv come across almost the essence of all the 18 chapters of Gita in just 18 sentences.

One liner Geeta
    Chapter 1 - Wrong thinking is the only problem in life . ( but how to know my ty thoughts are right or wrong?)
    Chapter 2 - Right knowledge is the ultimate solution to all our problems . ( By the time one reach that stage, kala comes with his long chord)
    Chapter 3 - Selflessness is the only way to progress and prosperity. ( this comes only when one filled his family coffers)
    Chapter 4 - Every act can be an act of prayer . ( that is possible only when appelant approach court for justice)
    Chapter 5 - Renounce the ego of individuality and rejoice the bliss of infinity .
    Chapter 6 - Connect to the higher consciousness daily.
    Chapter 7 - Live what you learn .
    Chapter 8 - Never give up on yourself .
    Chapter 9 - Value your blessings .
    Chapter 10 - See divinity all around . ( yes. Easy. Fans see in All celebrities of Bolly Holly Molly Tolly Koli Wood)
    Chapter 11 - Have enough surrender to see the truth as it is.
    Chapter 12 - Absorb your mind in the higher.
    Chapter 13 - Detach from Maya and attach to divine .
    Chapter 14 - Live a life- style that matches your vision.
    Chapter 15 - Give priority to Divinity .
    Chapter 16 - Being good is a reward in itself . ( to spouse)
    Chapter 17 - Choosing the right over the pleasant is a sign of power . ( in swayam-war)
    Chapter 18 - Let go, let us move to union with God .
    ( Introspect on each one of this principle)

|| ॐ तत्सत् ||

HariLakhera likes this.