1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memories - Back To School

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Jun 2, 2023.

1. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

As I walk down the road doing window shopping, I come across boards and hoardings with the slogan " BACK TO SCHOOL".

I was pondering how things have changed from my times to now.

My granddaughter had got new books and when I visited she asked me to cover them for her. I was too happy to do it.

But then, the cover is not one single brown sheet. You need to first cover with the brown sheet and then cover it with a plastic sheet. The plastic sheet is the difficult part as it keeps slipping. You have to hold it in place with cello tape. On top of this the sticker label with the school's name. As I was about to write the name, my granddaughter said " no Patti, i have a special pen for that". The pen is the only item not specified by the school. I was laughing at the way things are complicated now.

While I was in school, the books were purchased in the school book depot. The brown paper cover was provided by the school. The labels were also provided. We had to put gum (camel, that came in the blue bottle with a brush) on these labels and stick them. It was a messy affair.
    Sometimes if we had messed up one of the covers there would not be paper to cover a notebook. Then we would cover that with a newspaper. It was common to see a book with a newspaper cover.

Before purchase of textbooks, often we would check to see if we can get it second hand. For me it was always from my elder sibling. Before even the final exams were over, we would be asking our seniors for their text book. It would be reserved for us.

I doubt if this practice exists today.

Some parents would get the text books bound, so that it lasted a full year. In my house when we ask our parents to bind our books, my father would say "that is all for children who open their books and study, your books can be kept in a bank locker" This was a common joke, the minute we entered the house with the books. My Dad would first see all the books and say "all ready for the locker, can we go". Not like we never studied or got good marks. For him there was always scope for improvement when it came to marks.

Coming to uniform, my parents would buy the material, the correct shade the school provides and give it to the local tailor and get it stitched. Today you have to pay exorbitant money in the school, go to the shop they tell you, stand in a line outside the shop and order the uniform.

I was surprised that my granddaughter has 3 different colors of uniform which she has to wear on specified days.

Then comes the shoes, bags, water bottle, lunch bag, pencil box, pens, pencils etc etc.

My God, how exciting to be back in school for the kids. :banana:

What an stressful experience for the parents [​IMG]

2. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

Oh my Good old school days.. got to say i love those brown paper cover all in uniform way.. now they got so many varities.. hahaha 3 different colors of uniform.. we have 2 kind must and should white on friday, other days blue and white, schools are just squeezing from parents for every silly thing.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Kudos to sister @umaakumar for nostalgia. This post transports mind of the aged reader to the era during which previous to previous generation of students in school. She had brought before my eyes school days of mine and my sister when there was no co-education.

Boys school separated from girls’ and there were many boy schools in a given locality. While i had no prescribed uniform, my sister was wearing uniform to school. I remember pink colour of her மேலாக்கு-தாவணி
    Uniform in that halfsaree.

For me in school i had no uniform which was a great relief to me and my parents as well. For many years i went to school barefoot. I remember mom when with great difficulty she purchased that canvas shoe for use when i joined the Club And later in Scouts.

As a brother, many days i used to electric iron my sisters washed uniform. For few years, she had to wash her uniform daily immediately after her return from school and mother would insist her to change to normal dress only her washing uniform and taking bath.

Plastic coated brown wrapping paper was then not available rather not invented and so there was no question of compulsory covering of text books and note books.

I have a penchant even now for wrapping any book new or old - the moment I see it lying without cover. I took great pleasure in wrapping my sister’s and my children text and note books. I used thick calendar sheets for covering books in my library. Stout-books i break them into handable volumes and bind and wrap it. Wrapping lead to learn to bind the books old and new. I did for many of my friends- of course for a price.

In the name of inculcating discipline among students, many middlemen, educationist, administrators, agents of stationers and textile manufacturers and suppliers of other accessories introduced corrupt practices in the elementary education and the cut for every one adds to the final price making schooling a costly affair for parents.

4. umaakumar

Dear Swarnamary,
    Thank you for your comments. We too had only 2 uniforms. One day a week we wore white. This went with the white canvas shoes. Polishing these white shoes could be another snippet.
    Even when my daughter was studying it was only regular and sports.
    Things were simple then.

Regards
    Uma

swarnamary and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. umaakumar

Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    I can imagine and even relate to you going barefoot. But if you tell kids today, they would not believe you. My Dad often told me he went to school barefoot. When I was a kid I use to play with my friends barefoot.
    Like you said schooling has become a costly affair. More commercialized. It surprises me that parents pay in lakhs as school fees today

Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello:But then i suppose i enjoyed walking to school barefoot. Because i never missed a pair of footwear either at school or from entrance to pillair koil close proximity to school & home.

I enjoyed playing in open-vast-school-sand-filled-ground without any bother of losing chappal. Great days playing for sadu-gudu teams and hopping too. Outdoor activity naturally under-sun-shine helped body processing vitamin D.

Attending school and classes, puntuality, standing outside the class or on bench or impositions never impelled to runaway from school. Articulated oratorical competition, moral science, an hour class weekly once to read stories from library, tutions to juniors in neighbourhood, school dramas in open auditorium etc floods my mind with sweet thoughts that i enjoyed.

Many activity or affronts that i encountered during school days when compared with today’s school atmosphere, i deemed to have suffered Himalayan size but then i never felt any hardship at all!

That was the result i believe in simple living & high thinking.

I recollect a similar thread by @iyerviji
    School Days Were The Best

Thanks to @umaakumar once again that propelled me to revisit the page here.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    umaakumar and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Interesting write-up, Uma. Yes, times are so different now from what the were in our days. Our parents used to tell us how they had to walk miles to school and back, how they ate last night's rice soaked in water overnignt for breakfast, had fresh food when they got back home and the same thing at night.

We had to wear uniform Mon-Thu, a P.T. uniform on Monday, wear black shoes to school, carry a pair of canvas shoes for P.T. periods. Yes, books were covered in newspaper or brown paper. No stickers, no plastic cover etc.

Every generation's life requirements keep getting more and more complex. Sometimes I wonder if all this is really necessary. Bringing up kids is certainly a very expensive matter for parents!

umaakumar and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello: A LIKE here to my feedback from my revered ever Guru @Cheeniya offers great hope for future contribution in IL forums.
    Thank you Sir with Love!
    Regards.

satchitananda likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This brings back so many memories.
    My father would go to this small shop in Mylapore tank. He would have to tell the syllabus and standard and they would give him the bundle of textbooks. Our school insisted that we buy notebooks only from a particular shop.
    Then we would have to put the brown paper covers and labels, and then make sure everything fit into the school bag.
    One of my teachers was raising her family on a limited income, so she would always ask me and my brother to save the textbooks for her children, as they were exactly one class behind us. So we would have to be careful not to make any notes or markings in the textbook itself.
    Our uniform was a simple white and navy cotton. We would wear white canvas shoes and apply white shoe polish. There were hardly 4-5 kids in the whole school who had relatives abroad and they would wear Nike or Reebok shoes. We would look enviously at them.
    For girls we had the option of shirt and skirt, shirt and trousers, salwar kameez or half-saree. Almost all the girls chose shirt-skirt. For sports day once a week we would wear all white. We only had 2-3 sets of uniform and 1 pair of shoes so we had to take good care of everything.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

I used to collect from my juniors & seniors all their text & note books. Left over blank pages in note books would be my fair note books for next academic year. Text books so collected would be given to the needy.

Even after distribution so collected text books, still i used to have few more sets which i exchange for new or second hand text books for the succeeding academic year in the then Moore Market now turned into booking office at central railway station (MGR RAILWAY STATION). I used to walk to & fro to Moore Market from Triplicane, Chennai. Bus fare one anna was considered expensive for me.