How Often Do You Go To India? When Was The Last Time You Been To India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gknew, Jun 2, 2023.

1. sm123

sm123 Silver IL'ite

I went to India about 5 years back and with no parents in india(My mom passed away few years back and my dad lives with my brother here)..My FIL also passed away and my MILvisits us every year here..I would love to goto india,take the kids there,enjoy the stuff there..but certainly MIL is not welcoming and its another mess there. So,for me india trip is not fun,more stress..So. I accepted with that and try to enjoy whatever I have..

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Behind my building prime area cynosure for many - huge complex coming up interior finish is going on - total price per flat 3BHK & 2 BHK ranging from

upload_2023-6-3_10-2-48.jpeg

Thoughtful and gknew like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

The answer to “how often” depends on several factors.
    When children of Indian origin parents have grown up and in their sophomore or junior years they dislike going to India.

When their relatuves in India are no more amiable or remain acrimonious or they presume or assume in USA moneys are plucked from trees

When their dependants in India are hospitalised or already departed or on the verge to heavens
    Or their friendly siblings get hooked in a wedding arranged or unarranged.

The elation of meeting their brethren or siblings and or parents dwindle as years passes and after probably a decade after the need to visit India totally vanishes.

Many flats of parents near my building are lying vacant - remain unused and their kitchen light is still on 24x7 for three years in a row and their joining their working children in USA/Canada affected the society maintenance!

But strangely, once fir all, few of my family members and friends had come back from USA/Canada to India after a decade or more citing prime reason as health care.

gknew likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Oh that's nice you have all your family members here. You are so lucky to have everyone here in the US.
    Have a safe and fun trip. I hope your daughter will have some good time there.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Wow.. Your kid still definitely enjoy the trip. Since it's a first trip for you kid, definitely needs more planning and preparation.

I do plan ahead everytime. But last two days, I am just feeling sad and upset( don't know if it's homesick) and just planning the trip to it during the summer.
    My dh is teasing me that I am just planning the overseas trip in a rush like the Chennai- Bangalore Volvo bus trip.
    I have been talking about the trip continuously the last two days and kept checking the visa dates.
    Didn't get the Dropbox dates yet. I have to check the flight only after I get the dates confirmation.

MalStrom and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Very true.. It needs huge planning and preparation. But I am just rushing up as I feel little sad and upset the last couple of days. I have to book the flight once I book the Dropbox visa dates.
    Dh was like, first get the visa dates and then we can book the tickets..I compared the prices of flights for now and during winter break. Both are almost same. So I thought I can book the tickets after I get the visa dates.

vidhyalakshmid and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I am sorry for your loss.
    It happens sometimes that very expected trip will turn into a very stressful and painful. Happened to me many times. We have to accept it and move on :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

That's true sir.. Most of them move back for good.. The main reason would be health care. It's really really difficult here.
    I think I might do that too. coincidence that I was talking about this to my dh today. To move back to India after few years.

Parents with Nri kids are having a hard time too. They are just leaving their houses and coming so far. But I am sure they are having a good time with their kids and grandkids. No doubt about it.
    My parents never been to US and they aren't interested to come too. So I stopped asking them and don't want to force them.
    So it all depends on individuals and they're families.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks for appreciative response.
    About parents not wishing to visit USA - it reminds my late neighbour friend’s daughter - a doctor (MD in paediatric ) in North Carolina - after her marriage to usa green card holder, several times she invited her Mom & Dad to visit but they refused citing health reasons.

To mitigate the feelings, she Dr Savithri Nageswaran once in two years fly over to chennai in Summer - arrange for a get together in a star hotel in the evening and celebrate the hobnobbing. All her relatives, parents & her siblings, friends and my family & I were always invited to this jumboree.

Like in wedding conclusion, she gave away some useful gifts to all invitees that stay green in memory of one & all.
    So we do have such broad minded parent loving persons.

gknew likes this.