1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Often Do You Communicate With Your Sibling

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by gamma50g, May 23, 2023.

1. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

My mom was third of thirteen siblings. All 13 used to call each other multiple times a day. So all through growing up, our home was filled with a lot of chitter chatter of telephonic calls.

Conversations ranged from "Did you eat? What is for lunch?" to "Did you hear? Xyz did such-and-such thing. How can he/she?". And by the end of the day, if they quarreled they would all patch up too. Eventhough my mom passed away, her siblings are very much glued as one and are united against any other relative.

I must admit that thats one point where I am super envious of them.

swarnamary, Thyagarajan and MalStrom like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

My sister from altamount used to call me every night from her place and I eagerly picked up that call in Chennai morning around six or seven. She went before covid and stayed to assist her daughter who delivered a baby. (GenZ) we used to chat about infant baby's progress and my niece balancing act of riding two horses simultaneously career in e-bay and hearth and baby at home etc. We exchange photos and I learnt so much of the type of service one get in Altamound. She my sister talked more to me over phone from Altamount than when she & her husband from Chennai madippakkam. Thanks to WhatsApp where one can chat for eternity free without bothering about charge now.

swarnamary and gamma50g like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My siblings are in a timezone 12 hrs ahead. Our communications frequency has varied up and down over the years. For the past few years after both parents are gone, it's been zero with one sibling though we do get each others updates indirectly. With the other, it is sporadic WhatsApp about 4-5 times a month. The topics are kept carefully neutral and bland. Mostly it is like, "Neena Gupta looking elegant in this picture.. Aiyyo ..actor Sarath Babu passed away ... Mango season delayed ... Met with our class 7 teacher Mrs. Rao ..." : )

In our case, this quote has been true:
    Parents write the script, while siblings spend the rest of their lives reciting it.

Threads like this one make me realize how simple it can be for me to find a high road and take it. All it would take is a few texts from me and couple of calls .. we could have a grand reunion in some place like Andaman, Dubai or Thailand... But, one has to think long term. Peace of mind is an incredibly difficult state to regain once lost. Status quo is beautiful.

Among our desi friends and ex-colleagues we see the entire range. Some are very close to siblings, and some have just drifted apart even though no particular reason.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    sm123, gknew, swarnamary and 3 others like this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

My sister lives in the same timezone as me, a 30 min drive away. And I talk to her multiple times a day. A cousin I am particularly close to is 8 hrs away and I speak to her multiple times a week. Other cousins, we are all in a whatsapp group that's quite active.

I also find that my sister is the only person in this entire universe I am able to apologize to, without my ego getting in the way.... not something I have been able to do even with my husband. I don't know.... I am very emotionally dependent on my sister.

SGBV, gamma50g and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. sm123

sm123 Silver IL'ite

My siblings lives couple of hours away and I call them or they call me once in a week sometimes once in a month or twice at times. No reason in particular,they think that we are old enough to handle stuff,so they dont ping us much :).At the same time,even when we talk,its very very formal and talk about the neutral topics..So,these conversations remind me on/off that there is an invisible line that I cant cross :)

DH's only sister lives couple of hours drive from my place. DH talks to her once/twice in week.Texts almost every day. Earlier I used to talk to her once in a week..But over the time,with the drama they created,I reduced my calls/text with her to once in a month or two...But I don't restrict DH though. He still talks to her once/twice in a week. These days I maintain very very formal relation with her family also,as I dont want to get into those old horrible days.

Totally agree with this and this is my theory,you be happy and let me be happy..But if you are in really need,I am around..but not for this gossiping or drama :)

Rihana, gamma50g and Thyagarajan like this.