How To Get A Job After A Career Break?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by gknew, May 30, 2023.

1. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

What is the skill set.
    Approach Desi consultants.
    Fake your resume for latest skills. ( we can argue on ethics forever). But fake only if you are good in that skill set, i mean really good.

extreme case: do you have any friends who work in desi consultants. put a minor experience and if they can speak on background call from recruiter have a chat.

look for total junior roles, consulting . not full time. when you do land up. that becomes your first official project. go with that. remove all.

sorry if this sounds unethical.

anayasree, gknew and Rihana like this.
  2. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Very specific input: If you are from IT background. this means your resume and responsibilties does not reflect what is asked and needed. this is where you need to make project with recent experience. so 2 options

Searching for 9 months means, there is lack of skill which the market needs and you do not have or not showing in your resume. STOP searching. go back to basics, which means fix your resume and prepare what you say in resume.

a, fake and have a small experience in a small org where a friend can speak on the recruiter call. no one checks paystubs like india

b. Better way : make a project in Github. Work as if you worked in a company. With proper documentation, proper commits. and it should be a working model. minimal . you have to make the requirements, system design, code and test documentation and deployment.

gknew and Rihana like this.
  3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

what do you mean W2. After Green card Ead , you can work in W2 for anyone. This is another takeaway for your. try to understand the us job ways. youtube to learn

there are only 2

W2

you can do both.

4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

We don't have green card. I have my h4 ead only. Sorry for the confusion. I wish we have green card. I didn't mention anything about green card in my post.

5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for these inputs. I agree I need to work on my resume.

6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dear @gknew

On a second look at your Original post -
    You started as a techie - moved to leadership/ management - worked on one tech - now updated skills are in another tech

Are you clear of what roles/responsibilities you are looking for? Does this fact reflect in your resume ?

If you are looking at techie jobs - proofs of work is required. Latest experience in latest projects are required. Freelancers reviews, Github commits, LinkedIn reviews, a website that can showcase your projects would help here.

Technology is ever-changing - and easy to get replaced by new kids around the block - but if that is your strength, be very clear on your path and stick to one technology where you can create a niche for yourself.

But, with self-awareness, if you are able to decide on other roles like co-ordination, quality checks, team management, process implementation, business analyst etc - your experience of the other technologies and domains also would count

Do some self-introspection and write down what part of a role/job/tech would excite you to work on a sunday night - you should make that your niche and work towards it!

What better life than people paying you to do the job you would do anyway for free :)

Keep smiling
    HR

gknew and Induslady like this.
  7. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Does not matter. h4 EAD you can work in w2. you do not have to go in detail explaining yours situation to recruiters. Just ead mention is good.

gknew likes this.
  8. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Have you tried sheroes. Couple of my friends tried it and was able to find a break. You may be required to pay a fee though. I have also heard about Jobsforher in the similar lines.

Rihana and gknew like this.
  9. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

No haven't tried. I will check this out. Is it like a consultancy?

10. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Yes it's consultancy. They mostly focus on part time /work from home/ return to work scenarios

gknew likes this.