1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chennai Diaries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 5, 2023.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

May 30th - Today, I resolved how much to pay the laborers at the site by a frank discussion with the builder. It looks like it is a common practice to give one day labor charges or a bit more as a gift. The builder discussed it with the site manager and we all agreed to give Rs 1,000/- to workers and Rs 3,000/- plus dhoti and towel. We purchased dhotis and towels for the maestris. We also purchased additional dhotis for 3 more for those who are accompanying the Vedic Scholar. My MIL asked me to buy some gifts from her side to give it to me, my wife, son and the pet. I bought all of them today.

Later Shoba bought all the items we planned to courier after purchasing from Mylapore Kitchen. She went to Bhat’s Kitchen and bought a set of vessels which I understand absorbs heat well without darkening the bottom. The set of vessels are nice and we decided to courier them to the US as well.

In the evening, We went to see the status of the house.It is getting close to getting ready and one more day of cleaning will make it ready. Tomorrow, we are planning to move Puja items into the house and store other than fruits and flowers which we are planning to buy on Thursday. We inaugurated the lift today by visiting each floor including the terrace. Shoba was pleased with the terrace visit as there was a nice sea breeze (as the house is just 500 meters away from the Bay of Bengal).

On the way back, we stopped at the Besant Nagar (our favorite shop) to have ice cream and returned home.

Tomorrow, the work is cutout for me. I need to go to bank to set up separate envelops for the Vedic Scholar and his team of scholars (Dhakshana) and envelops for the workers at the site. Later I need to go to shop for 4 pumpkins, 25 coconuts, 25 kgs of rice, 25 plantain leaves, and a few green mangoes. Flowers and fruits to be purchased on Thursday. We interacted with the caterer a few times and he is yet to send the menu.

Thyagarajan, Rihana and swarnamary like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Best wishes for the Grahapravesam, Viswa. Is it on the 1st or 2nd? I've been following your diary closely. It is like one is personally present in the furniture store and other places with you. Feels very nice to read about the tasks as they get checked off in your to-do list.
    Nice. Is it common to have lift in houses in India now-a-days?
    My best wishes for a smooth proceedings and memorable function, Viswa. Do post pictures of the house after the pooja.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Thank you @Rihana for your kind wishes. The function is on 2nd. I sure will post the pictures of the house after the event. Yes. Especially, all of us are not becoming any younger, we decided to have a lift at home.

I am glad you liked it and I owe Chennai Diary’s inspiration to you.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  4. Viswamitra

May 31st - Today we visited Giri Traders and Thangavel Nadar store to buy some Puja items and a brand new vessel and utensil for boiling milk. My driver went to pick up the items ordered by my wife from Mylapore Kitchen so that we can courier them all together with the vessels she bought from Bhatt’s kitchen.

We had home-cooked meal today as well as we wanted to keep our stomach healthy. We gathered all the items that needed to be taken to the new house for puja, dhotis to be given to Vedic Scholar and his team as well as Maestris. We kept it in a bedroom in the new house and locked the room. Tomorrow morning, I am planning to make separate envelopes for distribution of cash to workers. There will be a separate list for the Dhakshna team be given to Vedic scholar and his team. Shoba has gone to T.Nagar to pick up her blouses she gave for stitching. The next two days are going to be hectic and if I find time in between, I will continue to write. If not I will write again on 3rd June.

5. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

we are literally walking with you where ever you going viswa sir, with your writing and its giving us such a good imagination thru your writings.congrats on new house warming, waiting for the pics of new house... :thumbup::thumbup:

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Sir, you have given a wonderful narration of your time in Chennai. I wish you all the best for your function to go smoothly and hope you have wonderful memories in your new home. I think all of us are looking forward to seeing pictures! Athangudi tiles are really beautiful and I have been wondering if it’s possible to import into the US.

7. Viswamitra

Thank you @swarnamary for your kind wishes. I will definitely post the picture of the house soon after the Grahapravesam.

Thyagarajan and swarnamary like this.
  8. Viswamitra

@MalStrom,

It is my pleasure to share my experience with ILites. Thank you for your kind wishes. I will post the pictures soon after the event. Unfortunately, they are still waiting on Athangudi tiles. I can check whether they have exported Athangudi tiles in the past.

Thyagarajan, MalStrom and swarnamary like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed reading all the preceding posts by @viswa & feedbacks/responses from all his well-wishers.

Wish Viswas Godspeed in rest of the proceedings & house-warming homam-puja. Let Goddess Saradambal of Shringeri continue to shower her blessings in abundance on Viswas and grace the function with Her full blessings.

upload_2023-6-1_10-58-18.jpeg upload_2023-6-1_10-59-47.jpeg upload_2023-6-1_11-2-4.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Ragavisang and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Thank you Thyagarajan Sir for the wishes and blessings. The Vedic Scholar confirmed he left and on his way to Chennai. Chamiana guy is still not at the site and hopefully it won’t take long to erect it. He said he would come at 10 am

Ragavisang and Thyagarajan like this.