1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thala

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 31, 2023.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Mostly, we look up to the west to talk about leadership and management and even read books written by Western Authors like Peter Drucker, David Allen, Michael Watkins, etc. and fail to celebrate great leadership demonstrated in the East. Even when we talk about leaders of the nation, we always talk about Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill. This thread is to celebrate the leadership qualities of an Indian cricketer M.S. Dhoni.

It is amazing to watch how many Indian and Foreign players are appreciative of the leadership qualities of this cricketer. When he was interviewed after winning the IPL title for the fifth time, the interviewer asked why he is being cheered so much by the fans by shouting “Dhoni” whenever he walks into the playing field. He simply replied, “They relate so well with the type of game I play as there is nothing orthodox about it and they can easily place themselves in my shoes. That level of humility is what makes him a great leader.

When players talk about him, they always mention that he moulds the new players and reinvent the older players by his friendly discussions. He shares his thoughts and give them opportunity to shine. Once they showcase their skills, he backs them well by trusting them and giving them the freedom to perform in their own style. He only explains the role in the team. This is unparalleled demonstration of people management and empowerment of the colleagues.

He leads from the front by giving some crucial advise at critical stages of the game to the fielders and bowlers. He adjusts the fielders so often guessing what the batters are trying to do. His reflex at his age is superior as his stumping of Shubman Gill in the IPL final is a great example. He himself moves closer to the stumps if the player takes a stance outside the crease. Using strategies superior to other teams, he often trumps the competition.

He has the important quality of focusing on the processes than the end result and mostly remain in the present moment. He keeps his emotion under check and stay calm at crucial stages of the game. This gives him the ability to think clearly.

His resume has 1 50 overs World Cup win, 1 T20 World Cup win, 5 IPL titles and many more bilateral series wins. He is unaffected by praise or criticism and keeps focusing on how to improve his leadership skills consistently and how to contribute better to his team.

He has created a great legacy for many to follow.I honestly believe he as a subject should be researched by major universities to breakdown his skills into reusable techniques.

I tip my hats to this natural leader for his accomplishments and wish him great success in all his future endeavors.

Laks09, iyerviji, joylokhi and 2 others like this.

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra ji

Honestly speaking, if you line up Dhoni along with 4 other people, I might not even recognize him - cricket, movies, news and politics are my blindspots ! I just dont care about these topics ... so I have no business coming here to comment on your article!

But I was drawn to your description of Dhoni's leadership qualities - it touched a nerve when you said that we must study these qualities in an abstract manner.

Not all leaders are humble team players who can inspire and trust and support others to excel with their own skills and lead to many wins and yet be unaffected by criticism or praise. It is very rare to see such people.

After reading these qualities of Dhoni, I was reminded of chapter 2 of Bhagavad Gita - sloka 54 - when Arjuna asks Krishna - what is a sthita-prajña (स्थितप्रज्ञ) - and the subsequent slokas where Krishna answers his questions - slokas 55-61

दुःखेष्वनुद्विग्न‍मनाः सुखेषु विगतस्पृहः ।
    वीतरागभयक्रोधः स्थिधीर्मुनिरुच्यते ॥ 56 ॥
    तानि सर्वाणि संयम्य युक्त आसीत मत्परः ।
    वशे हि यस्येन्द्रियाणि तस्य प्रज्ञा प्रतिष्ठिता ॥ 61 ॥

Maybe the person who studies his leadership qualities should also look at Bhagavad Gita and draw parallels with Krishna's descriptions of a sthita-prajña

Keep Smiling
    HR

3. Viswamitra

@hrastro,

Wow! What a response from someone who I revere for the spiritual posts! It is remarkable, you quoted Sthithaprajna description in Bhagavad Gita. That is precisely what went through my mind when Dhoni walked into bat, got out in the first ball, walked out with no reaction and later when the entire team ran into the pitch to celebrate, he stayed quiet with closed eyes. Getting emotionally charged either during disappointments or excessive celebration during success should be avoided to reach that state.

We live in a world where no one recognizes the Avatars leave alone Sthithaprajna.

It is not important to recognize the face of this individual but it is important to recognize the qualities and I am glad your response is the first in this thread.

hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Imperturbable Tower
    Known for his aplomb
    Neither elated nor depressed ever
    Here notice
    Something..

upload_2023-5-31_23-4-7.jpeg

He took a catch standing behind the wickets of Hardik
    Where the ball rolled up the bat
    Went straight up and returned into the gloved hands of Dhoni’s.
    He just held the catch while his face remained plain showing no emotions.
    Great leaders virtue indeed.
    I agree here with the statements of veterans @Viswamitra & @hrastro
    About true enviable impeccable leadership of Mr. Dhoni.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Thank you for your response to this post @Thyagarajan Sir. Every time he wins the IPL cups or World Cups, he always hands it over to his team mates immediately indicating it is a team effort. 2011 World Cup, he dedicated it to Sachin Tendulkar. Remarkable human being with great heart.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Delighted indeed. You are absolutely on the dot. He enjoys handing the championship cup won by his team under his stewardship. A brilliant way to keep to himself the loyalty of his ever enlarging fans’ or and friends’’ circle.

Viswamitra likes this.