Travel To Tanzania

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by blackbeauty84, Apr 19, 2021.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I spent part of my childhood in East Africa while my father was posted there. The place is unimaginably beautiful and most people are wonderful but the crime situation was serious even back then. As long as your company is making good arrangements you should be okay in regular times, but always be watchful and don’t go off alone.

Thyagarajan and nuss like this.
  2. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

I agree, the nature is crazy good. The people however, just be careful.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

I hope your company had already cancelled your trip..

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Update:
    My company has postponed my team's travel till June. So intermittent releif from my worries. Having not taken the vaccination still,not sure whether travel in June is still a possibility.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

Hello,
    Though I understand that my reply is irrelevant now but still I want to put my views.
    If your fears are due to covid then please be assured.In Africa we have not been seriously affected by the virus.Tanzania, infact never even imposed strict lockdown.The positivity rate was less and the infections transmission lesser than other parts of the world.Vaccination drive was successful though many Africans are refusing to get vaccinated due to various reasons.Here we are still scared of malaria but then you don't really get malaria in all, the seasons.Its usuallly in rainy season as in India and the malaria treatment here is best.All hotels will have mosquito nets over beds and regular spray is done to keep mosquitos at bay(maybe that was reason for less covid cases)
    Tanzania is one of the foremost destination in tourism and they are very careful with this lucrative buisness.All safety measures are in place to keep tourist safe.So be assured the planes,resturants,hotels you will use will be adopting all the precautions to keep infections at bay.Masking is must in public places but ofcourse not if ypu are out in open like safari vehicle.
    If your concern is about general safety then please be assured that a careful person is safe anywhere in the world even in notorious places like New York.You company will not allow you to move unaccompanied in local markets and allow you to use local transport.You will have office car probably with office driver.You will be living in gated ,guarded accomodations(or hotel) and will be shopping in posh ,well protected malls.
    All malls have ATMs and honestly I haven't felt unsafe using them.Africa may be depicted as poor by western media but people are not that desperate to go around robbing .They are honest hard working peopole just like you and me .In many ways you will find them very polite and yes,they speak excellent English too.
    In end I will say that I have lived in 5 Africian countries as expat and have travelled to Tanzania with my kids (without my husband) and I felt perfectly safe.

Thyagarajan and Amica like this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I know my answers are not relevant to this original post, but just wanted to record my experience so anyone who stops by will get to know the other side of the story.

First of all, the travel advisories from the US state dept shouldn't be the only site to trust. Because the same site has mentioned horrible details about India and even Sri lanka too. But as citizens, we know how different the life is.

I have lived in 5 African countries, and travelled to nearly 11 countries during my stay in Africa.
    Each country was unique, but apart from Sudan & South Sudan (I never stayed there for long), other countries were unbelievably beautiful, and comfortable to live.
    Especially Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and certain parts of Ethiopia were my most favorites.
    Egypt is still an African couuntry though, but I would consider this as one of middle eastern countries due to the similarities in culture & context. Egypt is amazing.

Poverty, crime, diseases, and all the ugliness are just in papers. They are the media's concern and that shouldn't affect us.
    Even in India, there are millions of people who live in hunger. There are many who do not afford to buy education or basic health needs.
    But, that shouldn't worry the tourist, who come to India to enjoy the landscape, food and the culture.
    There are very positives than those negatives.

Likewise, Tanzania can be a poor country, but their poverty does not affect a tourist or an expat in anyways. Because we have a lot of luxurious places and a life style to enjoy there.
    It is a tourist place and a beautiful place to live.

I've never ever affected by the petty crimes during my almost a decade long trips and stays in Africa

Thyagarajan and Amica like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@blackbeauty84
    I would like to know this far date, whether You had eventually gone on trip to Tanzania after duly vaccinated. If so what was your experience?
    A decade long experience as jotted down by @SGBV MUST have had encouraged you to undertake the “trip”!
    From her recent thread on “ humpty dumpty” , i presume she is now 24x7 housewife!

8. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Glad you found this thread.
    Before I could travel to Tanzania, I got affected with Covid. So didn't travel then. Eventually I switched to a new company which has one in million probability of travel :).
    I'm still working ! Humpty Dumpty was few years earlier for my nephews though

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Great to know that you had shifted to another company with elevated status I suppose. A great relief that trip to Tanzania hindered with you affected by covid.
    God hindered your travel in right time by giving you covid. But with covid situation you had gained in numerous ways.
    God continue to Bless your family & you.
    Regards.