1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sending Kids To Us/uk/canada For Edu

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by godsgp, Feb 25, 2023.

1. godsgp

godsgp Silver IL'ite

This is a post I am making out of sheer curiosity and cluelessness. The trend of sending kids for their undergrad abroad is rising. That too at a huge cost.
    I currently do not have an opinion about this and just wish to understand the perspective of parents of high schoolers if there are any on this forum.
    And also how do kids cope in a foreign culture out there esp. with limited home visits?
    In our times a college hostel 2 hours away from home generated enough homesickness to run for the railway station in hordes on weekends :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    Viswamitra likes this.

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Parents coach the kids to be independent from young age . They are used to being away from family . Recently one of my cousin’s son graduated medicine from foreign university. Initially I was skeptical about the whole thing . But now he is successful I feel it feels down to individual. Also it is so easy to get admission outside India than India . In fact financially it worked out cheaper for them . I think no plan is bad plan as long as all the involved parties are committed to the plan .

KashmirFlower and godsgp like this.
  3. godsgp

godsgp Silver IL'ite

That's good to hear .
    Most don't choose medicine abroad as it is insanely expensive and a very long journey.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I went to college in India that was a 36-hour train journey from home. Back in those days we had no cell phones, STD calls were very expensive and we couldn’t afford flights. Many of us in the hostel were in the same boat, so we became very close friends and survived happily.
    It became much easier to communicate once I came to the US for grad school, LOL.

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Indeed in USA & UK it is almost a decade before they get Full fledged
    license to practice . My friends’ doctors studied MBBS in India Pursued a course in USA and then turned competent physicians in New York Hospital. Another one at Dr. Savithri Nageswaran, Paediatrician in Winston-Salem - Book Appointment - MedSynapse

But a battalion of medical students - from India were to return back to motherland from war torn Ukraine. In Tamil Nadu, the concerned minister come to their woes rescue & medical colleges were advised to admit them. Those who completed medical in Russia are not recognised in India by its medical council of India.

godsgp likes this.
  6. godsgp

godsgp Silver IL'ite

Yeah.Most of us have similar experiences.

Exactly.There was a common woe and common cultural background to share.Everybody enjoyed the same food even.And bad apples were very few too.Exposure and access to the world limited.
    That what are the struggles of these young undergrads abroad and how they come out of it is what interests me.And is it worth it?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Frankly, I don't understand it either. Most who do undergrad here tell that it is not much advanced than Advanced Placement (AP exams) taken in 11th and 12 grade here in the US. Graduation courses really increase the learning significantly. My thought is it is a waste of money to send the children for undergrad overseas. Probably, doing undergrad here may create a good chance if someone likes to pursue medicine here in the US.

I have translated a Tamil write up of @Thyagarajan Sir under the title, "Going to the US is like holding the tail of a Tiger". This may give a good idea of what it takes to study here in the US.