1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Roles Of The Parents And The Teachers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Viswamitra, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The parents and teachers are sculptors/painters shaping the children into a marvelous looking sculpture/painting. They can’t change the ingredients in anyway but can only facilitate the children to become a fine human being. The children’s life is created for its own reason and as their mental development takes place, they will get thoughts that would bring desires to them to fulfill their passions. The parents and teachers can help them identify, explore, and nurture those inherent passions.

Every child is customized to his/her own needs. There is no one plan those fits all in parenting/teaching. The parents and teachers need to learn about their children individually through exploring their passions, emotions, feelings, intellectual, and spiritual capabilities and so forth and so on. They need to find the right resources to help and assist them in their development as a child. While they experience developmental issues, the parents and teachers will have to be available to guide them towards righteousness. The best guidance is to ask them questions that would help them formulate right decisions. They have inherent values in their consciousness and the parents and teachers only can help them reach out to their inner core. Self-fulfilled children stand better chance to become fine human-beings and most importantly remain happy. The children are the results of love and therefore, they automatically radiate love.

During the development, the children will have number of asked/unasked questions in their minds when they see the sufferings in the world. They will naturally compare themselves with other children and try to find answers for deficiencies in them as well. They are natural emotions for developing child, nay, even for developed human beings. The parents and teachers will have to develop enough knowledge to clarify such questions and most importantly, communicate with them well so that the children will learn to open and reach out to their parents and teachers. All of us teach the children how to respect elders but they develop their own method to interact with their peers. Sometimes, they do bring those issues also to the parents and teachers and how the parents/teachers react to those complaints create a strong impression in the children. When to let things go, when to stand up for what is right, when to demand an apology, when to apologize, etc. are learned by the children through those important communications.

All the parents teach their children about their duties, responsibilities, and disciplines they need to put in place at home and when we visit others. But it is imperative to teach the children about duties, responsibilities, and disciplines at school, the community, the nature, and finally to their own consciousness. The parents and teachers will have to inculcate the importance of purity of intention in a way that their inner consciousness become transparent. Inner consciousness becomes transparent only when the children remove their bad qualities such as unreasonable desires, anger, greed, ego, jealousy, attachment, and indifference. It is the children’s attention and commitment to the parents and children that results in their action for character development. The little lamps are already lit to shine and the parents and teachers are facilitating it to shine with added luster. They are already in the path of becoming a fine human being and the parents and teachers have a role to play in this important mission.

Shaping a child is not only important from the point of view of the family, but it is a duty that should be fulfilled keeping in mind the society, nation, and the world. APJ Abdul Kalam when he spoke in the United Nations said: “When there is righteousness in the heart, there is beauty in the character. When there is beauty in the character, there is harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, there is order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, there is peace in the world”.

ProudIndian, hrastro, Laks09 and 4 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

A few parents sharing their views irrespective of whether they like this thread or not will help me learn a little bit more. Without interaction, I feel this thread is orphaned. @Anusha2917 and @KashmiriFlower, thank you for your likes. I am tagging a few who are regular in the parenting section. I value every parents' view.

@Rihana, @Laks09, @sanjuruby3, @Thyagarajan, @nuss, @NOW, @SGBV, @anika987

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    hrastro likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the tag, Viswa. I did read the snippet when you posted it. Just been a crazy busy few weeks and months in 2023 so far.

The thing with any parenting related post or response is that one starts to write it, and the writing takes on a life of its own. It can be the middle of the afternoon when one starts, and one finds oneself still writing and it is time to get up and switch on the lights.

You have touched upon so many aspects of parenting and in a comprehensive manner. I was nodding my head at each observation in the post. Each paragraph deserves its own thread and responses. I'll try to keep mine brief.
    So true. We can't change the ingredients but can guide them to using those judiciously. Providing this guidance can be quite challenging as well as fulfilling. I've done my share of this but the latest was a candid conversation with kid about career & job: "it's ok to not follow your passion , it's ok to not know your passion, it's ok to know your passion but not follow it in your job" and more along those lines. Kid did not say so explicitly but I felt they were relieved to hear mom say, "It's ok if your job's purpose is to pay the bills, and you pursue your passion(s) outside of your academic studies or job." They really keep me on my toes as I keep up to date with the latest terms like "quiet quitting", "bare minimum Monday", "Sunday scaries." : )

I felt good to finally know why they refused to write about some personal projects in college applications that would have looked impressive and demonstrated many qualities that colleges look for.

This was and is quite a difficult balance to reach and maintain - how to teach them the above without them becoming arrogant or too much of sticklers for what is right. And, when bringing up children outside India yet the parents are at heart quite Indian still, it gets even more challenging. As our kids became old enough to stay home alone, we stopped taking them to each and every dinner party. When we invited people home, we did not require our kids to entertain the guest-kids for 3-4 hours at a stretch. By respecting their preferences, they have learned to respect those of others. If they are at a function they don't care about, they are polite enough to sit till the end and also participate, but they also sometimes ask me ahead of time, "Is it ok if I don't come to this or if I leave early?"

Many, many years ago, we had guests over, it was past 11 pm, my child came downstairs to the living room, and said to me, "I want to sleep, can you ask them to leave my room?" : ) At that time I did chide her for being rude, but the next day itself I realized it was not fair of me to expect a 10 year old to stay up past bedtime. It had been a reasonable request - child needed a quiet room and there was no empty room to go and sleep.

Laks09, hrastro and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the tag Viswa sir. I’m not sure if I can contribute any more than you have already written about. You not only parented well, you are now helping children learn about values and culture. What more could I contribute to your level on knowledge?
    Such truth in this! We are here to facilitate not change any aspect of the child to our choosing.
    Absolutely. The little people don’t come with user manuals. Both of mine are two different people and what worked for one doesn’t for the other. There is truly no one plan for all kids!

This was probably the most challenging part of parenting. Teaching them to hold on to their self respect but also let go when required. You are spot on in mentioning that they emulate these skills from seeing us deal with them and others around us. From personal experience, I know that my DD has not paid attention to what I was saying but to what I’ve been doing and how I’ve been allowing myself to be treated behind closed doors. I didn’t realize some of the things. Glad that I had the right partner and we somehow fumbled through this journey and are still driving on instinct here.

To add to everything you have said, this is a journey with no ultimate destination. We are just in it for the ride. At every phase in the children’s lives there will be a new challenge and we hope to rise to the occasion.

Once when I was in the hospital with pre term labor, Amma got into a train and stood the entire night to be with me. I told her that I’ve troubled her for both of my babies. I wish I didn’t trouble her so much to give her her grand babies. She then told me that once you deliver a child, you are a mother till you are no more. Every phase in their life, they may rely on you for something. They grow older and fly the nest but will still need you. It’s best to know when and how to support them and take happiness in the fact that one is able to be around for them. That day I learned that I will never stop doing what Amma always has done. It’s a journey and no two people’s are alike. We can embrace what we have and look forward to all the destinations we will briefly visit thanks to our mini mes!

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tag @Viswamitra sir,

You have wonderfully written everything above. Let me share my 2 cents!

One of the biggest parenting mistake is trying to change the basic ingredients of a child.
    You can't bake a cake from the ingredients that are used for Sambar.
    All you can do is to ensure the sambar turns out tasty, healthy and special. Or probably, try adding some more ingredients and cook a briyani out of the same ingredient used for sambar. This way, briyani can stand tall, and be considered a better, comprehensive and much loved dish like a cake.

Same applies in parenting as well. The kid's ingredients remain the same, but we parents and obviously the teachers can use them differently to mould them as successful individuals.

There will be a Virat Kohli, Abdul Kalam, Obama, A.R Rahman, Rajini kanth, Sundar pichai, and many more in a class room. It is the teacher's responsibility to identify their talent and mould them into someone they want in life. But unfortunately, almost all the teachers expect all the 30 students of the classroom to be either doctors or engineers.
    This is because, most parents want their children to be in certain professions; hence their potential and talents in something else is often unnoticed.
    Trying to teach engineering to Sachin Tendulkar is a bad idea.

It will be too late when the kid identifies his own passion and talent and then pursue her interest professionally.

As a mother of young kids, I always keep my eyes wide open to understand my children and to explore their hidden talents. I will pave them a way to pursue their talents, and excel in that rather than forcing them to fit in to the mainstream. I also encourage their teachers to pay attention to the nity grity details of their interest, and we explore together.

Eg: Recently we identified that my DD is interested in acting, dance and creative arts. We gave her the opportunity to perform at school and church level events, which is now growing to certain social level shows. At the age of 9, she has 5K followers in her IG page, which is managed by me. We have started making videos and dancing performance as it interests her.
    Besides, I have also put her into professional coaching to improve her skills.
    She is in school, and excel in her studies, but her passion lies somewhere else, and as parents we are open to stand by her and support her path.

This is not the case when I was growing up. I could sing so well, and I had the same interest towards dance and acting. But, it was all nipped at the bud by my parents, because they worried I would lose interest in my studies if I chose extra curricular activities.
    I was forced to complete my graduation in a field I had no interest. I was forced to join a bank in a good position, but that was not my calling.
    Thank God, my parents weren't strict or controlling after I became an adult. They gave me the needed freedom to chose my career at last. But my public speaking skills and stage fear would have been improved, had they allowed me in the stage back in my childhood. I had to suffer many years, and work hard on self to be the person I am today.
    My DD will not go through this hard path.

Yes, they have their own calling. As parents all we have to do is to stand by them and support them no matter what.
    I have my mom beside me throughout all phases of my life. She is my backbone, she is my support system, she is my happy place and everything.
    Nothing is impossible if you have a mother on your side.

I wish and pray that God should keep me alive to be with my children as a guardian angel to support and protect them all the time. The mere thought of having someone on your side will make a big difference in the children's life

Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

You have quoted the essence of what one experiences when someone write an article about it. One enjoys the processes involved while writing such posts and every thought, every example, and every experience come from the heart.

Very well said. Sometimes, the opportunity may not be right to pursue one's passion right away and it may require little more maturation of the passion and associated opportunity. I was recently watching a Podcast of the founder of Substack and a good business model of helping the writers to find a platform to develop their writing skills and capture paid subscribers, which is different from everything that is offered free. Most importantly, he said this model was not executable in 2006 when he had this idea but became possible over a period of time when he had a writer who helped him create the framework for such a solution.

It is difficult to even teach such skills as we ourselves are vulnerable for so many mistakes when we are overwhelmed with emotions. We learn from our trial and error and I am sure the children sometimes learn from their trial and error. If the parents find them learning those lessons, there is nothing more to be said. if not, the parents should gently ask the questions that will trigger them to learn those lessons.

Even though you thought it was rude initially, you have understood that was a reasonable request. Your realization if shared with the child, she learns the important lessons as to what is reasonable request.

Thank you for sharing a detailed response to this thread.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  7. Viswamitra

@Laks09,

It is so satisfying to receive 3 mothers responding to this post who have done everything they could to raise their children well.

It is so funny you said that. My wife used to respond to my son whenever he questions her about why she didn't tell something when I was young, "You didn't come with a manual telling me what is malfunctioning in case if something goes wrong".

This is important. We can never be complacent as a parent that I have raised one and hence another one is not going to be hard. Each child is unique and different and we as a parent needs to customize parenting for each child.

You have echoed the same sentiments expressed by @Rihana. You both are so right about it. It is a great balancing act and mostly, as you said rightly, the learn their skills by watching our actions more than what we say. Sometimes, they learn from their own mistakes which teaches them better.

I couldn't agree more. They grow several phases and each phase of their lives are different. As they get exposed to the real world, so many questions arise in their head some unasked and some asked. More they communicate, better we learn about them. Creating that environment for them to easily communicate without fear is important.

Your love for your children will sustain you to lead a long life and help them in when they develop and grow into fine human-beings. Sense of fulfillment you derive will not be limited to one period when they fly high but you will experience it throughout your life time including when you put up those bricks building their character step by step.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@SGBV

This post wouldn't be complete without you, Rihana and Laks responding to this post. Each one of you are perfect examples for doing everything you could despite all the challenges.

You said it well. We are facilitators to shape their passion that they came to pursue. It is such a sense of fulfillment when we see them manifest into their full potential. Every bit we contribute is invaluable for them in the long run and create a strong will in their head not only to pursue it but also to encourage their children when they grow up. They emulate their parents.

As children, they struggle to find their passion and it manifest when we closely watch in their thoughts, words and actions. This is where the parents and the teachers play a prominent role to detect, discuss and develop those passions.

Nothing can give a better satisfaction to the children more than their parents encouraging their passions. It will create a right environment for them to excel and achieve their dreams. You are doing everything right to help her pursue her passion.

I remember our days when the parents had a predetermined career for their children based on their assessment of their market for employment. Nowadays, the opportunities are plenty for someone to pursue whatever career they like and even developing their own business. It is hard to even convince the parents to let us go overseas to pursue our career.

I remember that I had to turndown offer from Bank Nationale De Paris because I had to go for training for one year to Paris, Union Carbide and DCM because I had to move to New Delhi from Chennai, One of the Big Four Accounting Firm offer to join in Dubai all at the age of 23. But I never left any of those passions to have a financial career. I worked for a few years in a public-sector company, then in a premier R & D firm, then in a software services company in India before I migrated to the US in 1995. We keep our eyes and ears open always with respect to our career and that is what we need to train our children. I am sure you never left your interest to work for UN and eventually achieved your dream because of your pursuation.

Laks09 likes this.