1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Spring!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Charles Dickens had it right when he said, “It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.” We have so many such March days that it is not even funny! I look through the window, one day the daffodils are bright, crispy, happy, and yellowy and the next, wilted and yet looking forward to that sun. Just like those daffodils, one day I am all with warm coats and mittens, and the next, it is hello sunshine! Even as I go through the see-saw of emotions as I watch the plants around me, not to forget the jackets on chairs ready to go into hibernation, my thoughts are on the dishwasher that is broken. I chose to ignore the sink anyways which is piling up slowly. What can a girl do, but simply sigh?

I wake up as usual at the wee hours of the day, come to my kitchen and even in the darkness that is around, I can see, well rather feel the piles of dishes sitting in the sink. I am reminded of a friend who no matter how late in the night, will empty the dishwasher, load, and then go to bed. She claims she cannot sleep without doing that. I have known her for over twenty years now and wish I had borrowed that habit from her. I can only sigh again, make my cup of coffee, and sit sipping enjoying the sounds of the birds chirping outside welcoming the day.

It is spring – unofficially. Puxstwaney has predicted wrong again even though the past two days feel like he may be right. But the birds, the buds, the green grass, and the shining sun all speak otherwise! My dogs are already busy spotting the birds, chasing after them, trying to catch the squirrels, and barking at them. I don’t want to wake the neighbors up, I bring them in with the lure of food. I am ready for random internet browsing before I can tackle those dishes and the day ahead, well not random really. Anyways as soon as I open my tab, the first thing I see is –

I Meant to Do My Work Today

I meant to do my work today—
    But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
    And a butterfly flitted across the field,
    And all the leaves were calling me.

And the wind went sighing over the land,
    Tossing the grasses to and fro,
    And a rainbow held out its shining hand—
    So what could I do but laugh and go?
    Richard Le Gallienne

Now, after reading that, tell me what else can a girl do than go looking for that rainbow? Happy Spring!

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    I also cannot stand sink with dishes. As soon as we finish eating or cooking we put them in the dishwasher. Dishwasher is ready to welcome dishes because it is emptied in the morning itself. OBC? May be.
    Spring is very welcome....mood completely changes after the looong winter.
    Syamala

Srama, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In Chennai we know of only springs that promote buoyancy! The ace cricket commentator Anand Rao of the 1970s always talked of the only two seasons of Chennai, hot and hotter! In one of my sullen moods promoted by the sweaty Chennai, I once wrote of 'colourless rainbow in a cloudless sky'!

Srama, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

What a delightful announcement of arrival of spring through this snippet! Watching the nature, assimilating its beauty and deriving happiness are unique skills and one should do it regularly to break the monotomy of life. Once we develop this habit, what appeared montonous will turn out to be daily celebration! I feel the spring brings the neutrality to the fast-moving life. Some of us, seek a waterfall sound or rain-drop sound coming from a gadget to catch up sleep that is artificial. Well, how about enjoying the first rain and smelling the first wet dirt? How about listening to the frogs celebrating the rain? How about watching a peacock opening up its extraordinary feathers and dancing? How about waking up to the birds singing from their nests?

The Creator has provided so much of entertainment naturally outside of the Television sets, smartphones and electronic gadgets and only those who are blessed would experience them.

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Syamala @shyamala1234 for your feedback! I tell you that I cannot also stand a sinkful but what I do about it is the question - I wait it to reach the level of frustration and bingo! all cleaned up. Just that I cannot prioritize that over anything else. Spring feels rainy this year but anything is better than that cole :)

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I consider it a special privilege that you chose to respond even if it is for a colorless rainbow in a cloudless sky. You certainly brought a rainbow and joy to my thread :) Thank you, sir. I do consider myself lucky that no matter whats happening, there are those moments when nature captures my attention completely and spreads a smile that makes my day better. Can I ask for more in life? Glad to see your response.

Cheeniya likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Thank you for your response. While I still write, I am unable to post for this fear of not being able to respond on time. I am busy, though not mindlessly but enjoying every moment of what I do but the popping of those buds and flowers, no matter what captures my attention not to speak of the birds tweeting in my window. I am certainly grateful that my mind's eye captures those moments for me and allows me to pause and just be! I see my backyard and realize so much to be done this year....especially with the dogs almost destroying the grass! The longer days will certainly help.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I am in a city with uncertain weather (courtesy climate chabge?), We are not even sure whether it is winter, spring or dawn of summer. amd rain ambushes us su8ddenly. As a wag said "Tww shirt in the morninf, sweater in the day, raincoat in the evening and blanket at night. Is it March or a fashion parade?"

Srama and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I hear you @Balajee! We do have such days, especially in spring but it just lasts a day or two when we may get a little snow in the sunshine and make all those flowers droop. Thankfully such days are rare. Thank you as always for your support and feedback.

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

What a lovely poem, Sabitha. Why would anyone want to get down to vessel-washing when there is so much beauty all around. Isn't that also a way of worship?

Such natural beauty never fails to remind me of the lovely lines which sum it all up:

"All things bright and beautiful
    All creatures great and small
    All things wise and wonderful
    The good God made them all

Each little flower that opens
    Each little bird that sings
    He made their glowing colours
    He made theirr tiny wings

The purple headed mountains
    The rivers running by
    The mornings and the sunsets
    That brighten up the sky

The cold winds in the winter
    The pleasant summer sun
    The ripe fruits in the garrden
    He made them every one

He gave us eyes to see them
    And lips that we might tell
    How great is God almighty

He made them all things well

Enjoy all the beauty around you, Sabitha and I wish I could run around with doggy chasing birdies - only I would do it with a camera! :-D

Srama likes this.