anyone used Vista yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KrutikaRao, Sep 16, 2008.

1. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

I have WinXP pro on my old laptop and planning to buy a new laptop. Most of the new ones have Vista.

Is Vista any better?
    Has anyone used it yet?
    Is it easy to use?
    Any issues?

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kurtika
    yes Vista is better then XP
    But once you are used to XP to understand Vista it takes some time, But once you get use to it you will start liking it.
    This is my view. As I am not from the computer background and somethings goes above my head, yes had to spend some time to understand it and to tell the truth I am still learningBig Laughfrom last one year.
    But as much as I want I can handle it.

3. srijini

srijini Senior IL'ite

hey krutika

if u really want not to kill memory its best going with XP coz vista kills most of the memory...when i too bought my new PC it too was installed with VISTA but i changed it...

lets c what our friends to share...

but its a nice eye tracker bcoz it came with such a high-fi colors and ....what not....but fr professionals its best with XP

4. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

I have used Vista and what I feel is its only looks. No performance. It does not allow other softwares to run properly. If you need only the OS and the Office, then Vista is fine. but if you use other software applications like, RDC, Movie Maker software for other companies, or any other application software, then please dont go for Vista. you will have to upgrade all other softwares too.
    Even some of the movie DVDs dont work with Vista but they run very well on XP.
    Please decide on the basis of usability rather than style or money.

5. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

hey teju i dnt really agree with u ... vista does allow all the softwares in it.. the only problem is that it takes a lot of space.. and may be that is the reason y u cannot upload any new software to it.. due to lack of space!

so kritika,
    i dont find any problem to vista and obviously it depends on what u use in it.. if u dont do many programs then vista is good for ur computer..

thanks!:)

6. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hey Cute,
    I do have a lot of space in my PC, trust me 120 GB, 2 Giga RAM.
    But I face problems with RDC - remote desktop application. Many of my CDs and DVDs dont work. My Panasonic Motion DV sofware also cant be installed at all.. Even though I have a lot of space.
    So I seriously beleive that if you have to work on many applications, then Vista is not the right OS to work on.

7. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

I'm planning to buy a new laptop during Thanksgiving time and I'm not sure whether I should go for Vista laptop now or wait until next June, so there are Vista updates available for all required drivers and softwares.

I plan to use the laptop for internet, movie view, work on VS 2005, SQL server 2005.

Any comments?

8. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

Krutika,
    When you get the laptop fixed, make sure they install the drivers for all the other software applications that you might use.
    That way you can ensure theres no problem in future.

9. sujatha_bala

sujatha_bala New IL'ite

Dear Kruthika

My choice would be XP only. I have my laptop loaded with Vista, but the performance is not all that gud and sure there are many apps. that Vista does not support.

Regards
    Sujatha

10. bhaskee

bhaskee New IL'ite

Kruthika,

I strongly suggest you to go for Vista, as i am using it for the past 18+ months without issues.. Again it depends.. Since i have a large collection of digital media, i am using VHP.. BTW What laptop brand / model (specs) you are planning to buy?

Just look at this link Windows Vista vs. XP Comparison Chart

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008