Thiruvannamalai Giri Valam - Information Needed

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by msm, Feb 7, 2023.

1. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Could someone guide me the ToDos/process regarding performing Girivalam in Thiruvannamalai. Should we pre-register, what time to start, how long will it take to complete ? Should we walk barefoot or a socks be worn ?

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

It is a 14 km approx stretch of road where u walk for the girivalam . So u can wear your regular footwear. Only thing , u will be removing the same for darshan at the different linga temples etc along the route. You will get detailed info on this from YouTube, as it's not possible to type out the whole thing here. Hope this helps.

msm and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Basic Arunachala Girivalam Rules | Rules to be observed during Giri Valam - Agasthiar.Org - AUMzine Issue 9
    Before commencing the girivalam by bare foot, one must worship deities dwelling in other small shrines and the main deity unnamulai Amman and the Lord at the temple which is at the foot of the hill.
    Buses available through night to reach the destination to perform circumambulation within those prescribed hours on the day of pournami full moon.

Temple prescribed time-table from net is posted as under for the year 2023.

அண்ணாமலையில் பௌர்ணமி தினத்தன்று பலரும் கிரிவலம் வருகின்றனர். கார்த்திகை பவுர்ணமி நாளில் அன்னை பராசக்தி, அருணாசலேஸ்வரரை வலம் வந்து இடப்பாகம் பெற்றாள். அன்று சந்திரன் சூரியனிடம் இருந்து சக்திகளை அதிக அளவில் பெற்று, அதை வெளியிடும் பூர்ண நிலாவாக உலா வருகிறான். அந்த ஒளி, மலை மீது பட்டு பிரதிபலிக்கும்போது, அது நமது உடலுக்கும் நம் மனதுக்கும் பற்பல நன்மைகளை நமக்குத் தெரியாமலே செய்கின்றது. இதனால் பௌர்ணமி மலைவலம் சித்தர்களால் சிறப்பாக போற்றப்படுகிறது.

upload_2023-2-7_16-0-9.jpeg
    பௌர்ணமி நாள் அன்று மட்டும்தான் கிரிவலம் வரவேண்டும் என்பதில்லை வருடத்தின் 365 நாளும் மலை வலம் வரலாம்.
    ஞாயிற்று கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால் சிவலோக பதவி கிட்டும். திங்கட்கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால் இந்திர பதவி கிடைக்கும்.செவ்வாய்க்கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால் கடன், வறுமை நீங்கும். புதன் கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால் கலைகளில் தேர்ச்சியும், முக்தியும் கிடைக்கும்.

வியாழக்கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால் ஞானம் கிடைக்கும். வெள்ளிக்கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால் வைகுண்டப் பதவி கிடைக்கும். சனிக்கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால் பிறவிப்பிணி அகலும். அஷ்டமி நாளில் கிரிவலம் வந்தால் தீவினைகள் போகும்.

குறிப்பாக செவ்வாய்க்கிழமை கிரிவலம் வருவது மிகவும் சிறப்பு. மஹான் சேஷாத்திரி ஸ்வாமிகளும் செவ்வாய்க்கிழமை கிரிவலம் வந்தால், கர்மவினை அகல்வதுடன் மோட்சமும் கிட்டும் என்று கூறியுள்ளார்.

Read more at: https://tamil.oneindia.com/astrolog...given-day/articlecontent-pf619302-439589.html

திருவண்ணாமலை கிரிவலம் செல்வோர்களுக்காக - Thiruvannamalai Girivalam Selpavargalugu | Tamil Calendar 2023 - Tamil Daily Calendar 2023

God Bless.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    joylokhi and msm like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I went a few years ago! It took me around 2 hours - carry water, wear comfortable footwear that can be removed as there are several several temples on the way and you would want to go into each one... Some food items and shops are available around the place...
    We started at 5pm in the evening - by 7:30-8 we reached the hotel

Our friends who travelled with us had kept the geyser on and said soak feet in hot water or have a hot bath after applying some coconut oil as it might pain later... since I didnt have any pain and was feeling tired and lazy, I was reluctant, but they persuaded me!
    I did what they said - And I feel the pain that came later was much lesser than without the coconut oil and hot bath !
    So do try to plan for a hot bath after also!

Keep smiling
    HR

joylokhi, msm and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It is entirely your choice to wear footwear or not, there are no official rules. In our younger days we would all go as a huge family group to climb the hills and most of us went barefoot. Now we wear comfortable shoes.

joylokhi, msm and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thank you @joylokhi mam, @Thyagarajan Sir, @hrastro mam & @malstorm mam for your detailed response and sharing your experiences. Am planning to visit the temple during my summer trip to India, if God blesses me to perform Giri valam, will do/update you all after that.

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.