1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Computational Thinking

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nayidulhan, Jan 31, 2023.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

@Rihana thanks again (& again) for tagging @hrastro. She is a mighty lighthouse! :)

Rihana, hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Yes @nayidulhan
    The SAT and CAT exams have some awesome real life applications and stories of mathematics - But I dont recommend exploring these without some help from a retired teacher or older student who knows her syllabus and her capabilities - and can give her clues and direction if she gets stuck ... they should be selecting problems to work on and not working at all problems and getting discouraged... that would end your daughter's interest and motivation for math...

RD and RS are by default done at most private school nowadays - if teachers are not doing them at your school, I do encourage practice of either or both - Usually RS has more variety of problems, RD has more indepth practice of the same problem type - so decide what you want for your child and use accordingly - but I would consider RD and RS as school math work and not extra math work.

I have seen and used some parts (for students) of RS's reasoning books and I find them good practice too...

For extra math, all the textbooks I suggested can be downloaded in pdf/html format if you have a techie and some internet (except Trishna books)
    Upkar books, mycbseguide, Arun sharma's CAT books, Saxon books, Pre-Algebra, Algebra books of US curriculum, shinglee books have Singapore maths, MYP books by Oxford, Pearson, Hease etc - you will find many textbooks ... There are some good books by Shailesh Shirali also

Just dont try all of them at once - I usually see a kids capabilities from the way they approach the CBSE Exemplar and from there, I take them through different books for different topics...

For instance - the basic ratio, percentages, variation, work&Time problems etc have some good problems in CAT books, while for algebra I would go to Singapore shiglee problems... For geometry you should check some US and Singapore textbooks...

I personally know IIT professors who recommend AMTI as an institution for teachers and authors but I have not seen their books personally - do try them out, definitely!

Hope this helps and I am not confusing you too much!
    HR

Attached Files:

Thyagarajan and nayidulhan like this.
  3. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Yes...yes....I agree 100%. I have heard terrifying stories from a few senior parents about their precocious kids that were given a lot of challenging stuff but that eventually turned them off totally. :fearscream:

Unfortunately, my daughter's school does not refer to R D Sharma & R S Aggarwal at all (at least for the middle school grades; not sure about higher grades though). I am considering hiring a tutor like you suggested to get these 2 books and CBSE Exemplar solved.

I will try to get the links for all the books you mentioned and compile them for ready reference in future, of some curious mother like me. You have been most kind and generous with your time and knowledge. Just knowing that you know so much and are willing to share the treasure of your knowledge is so...so reassuring. May God bless you abundantly, dear hrastro! :angel::hearteyes::grinning:

hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

@hrastro... are there any attachments in your last post up there? I can't seem to open them.

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

no no I didnt add any attachments :)

nayidulhan likes this.
  6. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

7. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Dear @hrastro , I need your guidance please. Last weekend, my daughter started solving Math Exemplar problems for Grade 7. She has solved all the problems from the first 2 chapters here: NCERT
    Do you think it is advisable to solve all the problems listed there in the remaining chapters or should I mark some for her to solve? With the intention of saving some time for her?

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Have you found a tutor yet?

I would suggest - do all the sums this year - Exemplar sums are really well thought out and give a variety of HOTS questions. Practice will make her perfect her concepts...

According to many "Memory & Learning experts" - a technique called "spaced repetition" is very useful for students - Wikipedia explains it as "Spaced repetition is a method where the subject is asked to remember a certain fact with the time intervals increasing each time the fact is presented or said. If the subject is able to recall the information correctly the time is doubled to further help them keep the information fresh in their mind to recall in the future."

With the exemplar problems, I would suggest the same technique - Give the first odd numbered 20 sums after she understands the topic. Then give her sums from some other topics, come back to this topic after some "spaced time" and do the even numbered 20 questions. Then after some more "spaced time" give the next few odd numbered sums ... and so on till you complete the topic.

At 7th std, on an average she should be completing at least 8-10 word problems type of questions (usually 4-5 marks questions) in 1 hour - so you can decide the number of questions you assign to her based on the number of hours she can spend on studying the extra math.

Hope this helps!

Keep smiling
    HR

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    nayidulhan likes this.
  9. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot, dear @hrastro. :angel: Your reply has helped clear my mind. :smile::)
    When my daughter decided to solve the Exemplar problems and when she informed me, she said that she wants to complete all the problems first and then proceed to learn in depth a text based Programming Language (Python) after that. I don't know if working on one this at a stretch like this is a good thing to do. On the one hand, I am happy that she is showing interest in Exemplar but on the other hand, I am worried that she may get exhausted with an overdose of Math. :fearful:Is there anything like this, @hrastro? I am concerned.
    I have not looked out actively for a Math tutor for my child. I am told that most good tutors here prefer to mentor older students. Moreover, the fees are in a high deterring range. For now, I have been mentoring her myself right now.

10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I always say - moms are the best mentors !! At least till 7th-8th, anyone can easily help with the maths.

Only if you can no longer handle it, you should get a tutor...

The exemplar sums make you think differently, so it wont be an overdose... just ensure you follow the spaced repetition so that she wont get bored doing the same kind of sums in one stretch....

In fact, when I teach trigonometry/calculus (sums are usually 2-3 pages long) my students would ask me - ma'm the moment you look at the problem you know the answer , you dont even have to think - I would tell them that is because I have done 900 sums in each topic :laughing:

She doesnt need to wait till she completes all the chapters - you can start off with basic existing python algorithms - start with python once a week and as the maths chapters get over, she can increase the frequency for python ...

Keep smiling
    HR

nayidulhan likes this.