1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Pins To Affix Saree

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by SuiDhaaga, Feb 5, 2023.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies!

Can you tell me how many safety pins you use to set (and forget) your saree?

last time (and only time) I wore my Saree was the last day of Fall at the office.

I used one pin on the open pallu and multiple pins on the pleats.

Still wasn’t perfect because the outer pleat was wayward (extra safety pin controlled it somewhat, but I think it constricted the saree flow)

Now I see this Dolly Jain video and she says one safety pin on shoulder (for pallu) and one safety pin on pleats at waist)

please share saree pinning experience and any rule of thumb for Nivi drape.

2. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

It all depends on multiple factors like the type of fabric you drape and the confidence of draping it you have.
    Chiffon and Georgettes are easy to drape and need only a pin to secure pleats and one for shoulder pallu.
    Heavy sarees like silk will need additional pins to secure pleats especially if you are making hip pleats too.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. godsgp

godsgp Silver IL'ite

Actually more pins are always a better hold but to save the poor saree from mutilation I settle for two each on pallu and pleats.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have only a few Kanjivaram sarees that are not too slippery and drape well. For that I use 1 big pin to hold the pleats together and 1 medium pin for the pallu, when I drape them myself. My mom and aunts said too many pins will damage the fabric if done often. But I remember getting saree draped at the parlor for my wedding and the ladies used a lot more pins then.
    But like @PurpleRoses said it will also depend on your comfort level and type of fabric.

PurpleRoses and SuiDhaaga like this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

Ok, I shall consider fabric.

I have cotton and georgette sarees. There is one cotton silk saree I am yet to add a fall to (that may require more pins)

6. SuiDhaaga

I wish there was a way to pin saree without mutilate it. Dolly Jain said put bead through the pin, at least the pin won't move and create a bigger hole in the saree.

7. SuiDhaaga

I guess lots and lots of pins are used for heavy sarees worn during memorable events, i.e. marriage.

8. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

I do one on pleats and one on the blouse for pallu. If you want properly set pleats then more pins. Fitting looks great if you can wear jeans under saree instead of petticoat, but this idea only works great if you want to wear saree for a short time and you are not going to visit restroom.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  9. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

I did this mistake few years back when I was still new to saree draping (post wedding ofcourse). I am on a heavier side and that time there were not many saree shapewears as its widely being sold nowadays.
    Refular petticoat made me look cylindrical and hence i opted for my orange leggings and draped a very pretty orange designer saree and it was flattering and gave me nice fit and look.
    I went to my cousin's wedding and got many compliments and also I was so much at ease in walking with legging under my saree.
    All went well till suddenly I had to pee and the marriage hall had only common bathroom which was not so clean and was wet to say the least.
    I had pinned the pleats to legging and now to use washroom, I had to remove the pin, pleats came off, it was so difficult to wear it back !
    Thank God for the amazing affordable saree shapewears that we have now...makes life easy!

SuiDhaaga and sneha1985 like this.