When A Friend's Company Announces Layoffs?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rihana, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When you read news about layoffs at a friend's company, what is the appropriate thing to do?

Contact the friend right away and ask how they are doing? Wait a few days and then ask? Or wait for the friend to bring up the topic, whenever that happens?

No matter how much one is prepared, it still feels bad to get laid off. The aim is to be there for the friend without being nosy.

2. Rihana

I think waiting a day or two and then a casual text is good for general friends. For closer friends, I would just send a "Hi..." text right away and they would respond when they want to.

If I know the friend as a couple, then I would ping the spouse of the person who got laid off.

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I would definitely wait for them to open up. Not everyone wants to let others know about such things immediately.
    Ofcourse it takes some time for them to even digest what just happened no matter how much they are prepared.

When they open up and ask for referral or any other help then kindly offer whatever possible.

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well..No matter how close they are.. Would wait for them to open up..if they say then we can ask further..else will let it go.

if they confront why u didnt check..theb you can tell you respext their privacy and comfort and didnt want to disturb

they will usually understand

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    shravs3 and Rihana like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Before the lay off information comes to public, the staff are informed internally and the management would have brought up this topic earlier on to allow staff to prepare for the next move. In fact, some of them would have already applied for other jobs or planned something else with the fund they receive while leaving the company.

If the friend is really close to you, he/she would have shared this piece of information while it is still in the process. If not, it means they are awaiting for confirmation of their next move to update you.

So, asking them about the lay off when they chose not to discuss this with you, doesn't go well in my opinion.

You can wait till they open up.

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  6. Rihana

One dear friend will know by today evening, another by tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I really wish people stopped forwarding me the Aiyyo Shraddha video on layoffs. After liking a few videos by her couple of years ago, I just can't stand that lady now. And literally all my Whatsapp groups going gaga over the layoffs video, "it is so accurate, so real", so whatever.

7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Most recent one - it came in my team's whatsApp group , shared by my manager.
    I had seen it a zillionth time in LinkedIn shared by many.
    Much of my time yesterday went in watching her other videos in YT.
    But why can't u stand her now? I thought she was funny:grinning:

8. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Yes. I would never go and ask her/him even if it's a close friend.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

The script and material is funny no doubt. The way she delivers it makes me want to climb a wall. The widening of the eyes with each punch line, waving the hands too much and just something overall.

I admire her success and her ability to sustain it without getting into controversies. I wish her continued success and greater heights.

Anusha2917 likes this.