Finest Post Nominations - January 2023

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Rihana, Dec 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Laks09 and iyerviji like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viji and Maalti for the nomination:
    Magic! by @rgsrinivasan
    Losing 9 kg without buying any exercise equipment, setting and meeting a daily target of 10 kms, and fitting into pants from engagement time is indeed Magic! Felt nice to read the narration.
    The Twist by @maalti
    Describing something in less than 260 words is in itself a challenge. To add a twist to it takes an extra amount of skill. Well-crafted short snippet story by Maalti.

3. Rihana

Thank you for the nominations, Viji Jaan and sorry for the late from my side.

Response in Mother To Two Girls by @beautifullife30
    Raising children in any century and any time remains a task that makes us doubt if we are doing it right. @beautifullife30's post summarizes the simple wisdom parents can employ whether we apply it to raising girls or raising boys. Such as:
    We can either choose to lament about how things are unfair and unjust. OR we can choose to raise above all that and enjoy every moment that is being given to us fully.
    Balancing Emotions! by @aarth0203
    Living in a joint-family can be difficult at times. When a disagreement happens on a festival day, patience can be in even lesser supply. @aarth0203 has described the various thoughts that come in one's mind before, during and after such situations.

Laks09, iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Rihana

Thank you for this nomination, Laks. It's a topic close to my heart.

Response by @godsgp in Defeated.
    People react differently to the same loss, recognize it differently, process it in their own ways and take whatever time it takes them. There is no race and the finish line is reached when it is reached.

Good find, Laks.
    Snippet by @HariLakhera
    Money Can Buy Everything Except Happiness-wrong.
    Another thought-provoking snippet by Hari ji. He asks:

I am just wondering, how come I was happy as Hazarpati and unhappy as Lakhapati?
    I have no answer yet to this question. But indeed the happiness of earning a few thousand in one's first or second job cannot be compared to lakhs made later in life.

HariLakhera, Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Rihana

Thank you Laks and Maalti for nominating these posts:
    Response by @MalStrom in Parents Visits
    Response by @SGBV in Parents Visits

Having parents or in-laws stay for longer durations in a foreign is quite an experience for all parties. The first few weeks go by nicely enough, then boredom sets in, and the problems start. MalStrom and SGBV has given so many ideas on how parents can be made to feel comfortable and needed in their children's homes.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Rihana

Laks and Viji, thank you for bringing these posts to FP.
    Response by @Thoughtful in Am I Gullible Or Self Centered?
    Response by @nayidulhan in her thread: Am I Gullible Or Self Centered?

For a long time I thought Hillary Clinton said, "It takes a village to raise a child" until I read that it is an African proverb. Not sure of that either. But one thing I am sure of is that it takes a village to raise a parent. Children come with no manuals and we rely on the collective wisdom of fellow-parents to guide us in the journey called parenting.

@nayidulhan has laid bare her situation with the friend, her misgivings, feelings of hurt, wanting to do right by the friend, teaching one's own child to be compassionate while also aware of less generous nature in others. It was nice to read what ND has done so far and the thinking-aloud of her remaining questions.

@Thoughtful response reminds us about "the welfare of each is bound up with the welfare of all." This is so true. During the pandemic the richer countries realized that vaccines being made available to all countries is not just the right thing to do, but the necessary thing to do. Back when my kids used to look for activities, there used to be some cool ones that were organized and run for under-represented minorities. It did bug me but I did manage to see the bigger picture -- we all benefit if the numbers of the minorities increase in places where there's few or none of them right now.

7. Rihana

A lovely find, Viji.

Snippet by @SGBV Spent My Birthday In 3 Different Countries :)

The practical side of me thought entering a fresh, clean and tidy home after a long flight would be the gift ever. Then, a minute later into the snippet, I read "mom cooked rice, chicken and some veggies for dinner.." and I decided that would be anybody's best gift ever (remove chicken for vegetarians). I was kind of wrong again. The best gift was this concluding message at the end for readers:

Always trust your gut feeling. I trusted mine and went with the flow. The rest was a happy memory.

So true, so often. Trust your gut feeling, go with the flow.

8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Tahnks a lot.

Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot, Laks09. It's reassuring to know that other mothers like you (& Rihana) have undergone this and are taking time out to support mothers like me with your acknowledgment (& sharing thoughts, perspectives and past experiences). What is disturbing though is the fact that parents continue to behave in such selfish, immature ways for such a long time now. I wish they could realize that unity is strength. Anyway.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Your message on that post was really thoughtful, Thoughtful! :)

Laks09 and Thoughtful like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.