1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Donor Sperm While Married

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by needawayout, Dec 3, 2022.

1. needawayout

needawayout Silver IL'ite

So, I am 43, first time ttc for whatever reasons. Got fibroids, regular periods, 0.7 AMH, husbands SA is normal
    Married 5 months ago. Husband declared he is not comfortable with sex and needs atleast an year or two before he can perform.
    I have been going to the docs right from the day I married and taknig folic acids, tracking ovulation, letrozole for few cycles etc. Right on the day we are supposed to ic, he either doesnt come home, thinks its mechanical, whatever reasons.
    Recently, turns out, he has many people giving him money. He is not employed, so I dont know how he is going to return that moeny. I earn but I have no intention of giving away for such irresponsible cases.
    SO, with al parents intervention, I went for IUI and I want to ensure I dont waste anymore time thinking whether or not he will come at the right time and want to go for sperm donor. Apparently, either I need his consent, or get a divorce. (BUt people say he might not turn up for sex but will come to just donate sperm for iUI. that wont be a problem, but I dont want to take a chance anymore. )
    I am trying to get his consent and wanted to know the process from the docs but the docs seem to be surprised that I want to go for anonymous donor sperm and they want to meet both of us and talk to us.
    We are already living separately for almost 2 months now. So I am not sure why the docs would bother if they get consent.
    Any light on this please? why is the clinic so worried to get donor sperm? What do they want to talk to him so much ? Why is it not a simple sign on a form?

I know I am supposed to get the marriage straight, but even with his sperm also, I just need to raise the children myself. All he might be able to do is perhaps sweep the floors or take the trash out.
    At 43, either I dive in with every chance of pregnancy and not invest more time in trying to gain his love and confidence in relationship.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022

2. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Lady, calm down please. I see your frustration about sexless marriage, irresponsible husband, your biological clock ticking and you wishing to be mother soon.
    1st and foremost, to answer your question of " why docs want consent from your Husband or why they want to talk to you both and take his sperm...", Well there are lot of legalities in this.
    If you opt for donor sperm without consent or info to your husband, he may sue you as well as doctors who performed IUI with donor sperm in the court.
    You'll end up in ugly court battle. Hence better you talk to husband and convince him to come clinic, give his semen and let doctors do IUI with your husband sperms.

The reason for his unemployment at this age? What does he plan to do in his future life considering he must be already in mid 40's.
    I am surprized you married an unemployed irresponsible man in 40s... But don't wish to judge your choices. I understand you are not going for divorce because you're already in 40s and might be difficult to again get into another marriage or plan kids.
    Wish you all the best. Don't give your hars earned money to your irresponsible husband.
    Invest it so that you can live comfortably in your old age n for your kids future.

3. needawayout

needawayout Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much. I want to convince him to sign for the donor sperm consent. I want to bring him to sign for the donor sperm consent and the docs dont seem to be ready for it. They want to talk to him before he signs. There should be no legal issues if he signs the consent right?

As for marrying him, I got his health checks, I told point blank that for me marriage is kids and if he is ready for kids only then he shoudl marry, he cant expect any luxuries from me as I am not rich but just earn enough, no physical abuse is tolerated. These were my mostly high level pointers before marraige. My biggest worry at this age was the health - many men had so many health problems and he was the only one with no bp, diabetes, clinical depression, etc (job and his earning fell low on list compared to helath) . But Apparently ED doesnt have anythign to do with these.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The clinic will need the consent of both parties for legal reasons.
    It might be easier for you to convince your husband to give a sperm sample to the clinic, since his results are normal. They can freeze it and use it as needed for IUI or IVF.

sociallifein30s likes this.
  5. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

From what I know, IUI needs atleast 3-4 cycles and is as close to a natural trial. So, she might have to convince him to come every month. Maybe thats the problem she has.
    Also, from what OP is saying, the husband will be much better off signing the consent and get it over with than the pressure of going to the clinic every month.
    He is unemployed at 45+ approximately, so I dont know what drive he has for anything anymore.

I think if he signs the consent, you are fine and no legal issues.

The docs might want to talk to him to ensure they explain what he is signing for OR might be suspicious that you are not giving him full disclosure. OR maybe giving that full explanation of what he is signing is their job???

Also, you said you are already living separately. So, maybe you already come in the "estranged couples" category and dont need consent (please check on this). If you are keen on the donor, can the lawyers help? I So so so well understand the problem with indifferent partners.

6. sandhya2020

sandhya2020 Silver IL'ite

Sorry I had to write this.
    I understand your desperation and clouded judgement, but you are being extremely selfish.
    There are serious issues in your marriage and why do you want to bring a child into this situation?

Also, you are legally married so obviously the clinic needs his consent.

You cannot marry a 45 yr old unemployed person and expect him to change at this age.
    You have made desperate and wrong decisions throughout.
    You need to stop and analyse and not bring a helpless child into this.

7. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

I think this is very judgemental of you.

I don't think OP wants to work on her marriage anymore. Atleast she is not asking us for any tips to save her marriage. She wants children and she is not bringing children into this marriage.

I remember reading her posts that she got married for children and to experience pregnancy. So if her husband cannot provide her children and is an obstacle in her endeavors to have children (ED, donating sperm, donor sperm etc.), then why is that not a problem??

drdiva likes this.