Can You Change Your Destiny ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Sep 24, 2018.

1. lakshmi888

lakshmi888 Silver IL'ite

in my old age, for few years, I have done some research on karma , destiny , fate and looked into some real life incidents ..

like a case where woman who was when in her early 30s was told she would marry in late 30s but would have her only child in late 40s and it came true , even though she had a great s*x life with her husband but could have a child only in late 40s

Another case I heard was of 1 old man who had cheated a widow in his younger years and was begging for death in old age because of immense suffering on death bed for many days and doctors also had given up and his adult sons were told by astrologer or priest who was unknown to the Old man who then meditated and told about that old widow who had passed away but had cursed this cheater man and the adult sons were unaware of this and confirmed with the old man.

I don’t know if some astrological remedies would have worked or not as there are just perhaps 1 percent good Astrologers
    I think There are certain events that can be changed and certain can’t be changed ..

like if one has done any wrong deed, if that person doesn’t get karmic results, his progeny will get the Negative karma like an unfortunate accident or marital suffering or some unfortunate misery like a lawsuit ..

it’s not always tit for tat , like if a man cheats a woman like does fraud with her like fraudulent marriage or leaving her after sex on the pretext of marriage wherein she was made to believe in true love, then the karma won’t be that his wife would leave her but the karma might be him getting some unfortunate accident leading to major injuries or his progeny getting into such an event ..,

so destiny works on the principles of karma and progeny carries the unresolved good and bad karma of its ancestors or parents …so there is centuries old saying in india that ‘ never take any good persons hai ( hai is curse of a good person who was cheated ).., here keyword is good person as even God or karma lords do not care about the curse given by a bad person

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Yes. We can change our destiny by our own actions. When we perform good acts, we accumulate good karma. But human beings have a tendency to measure everything good or bad in one life. If we seed good thoughts producing good actions, at least, we are not adding more karma in the future. The effects of our past actions unfold to us and when we do good acts, they help us to endure the karmic consequences easier. Prayers is the way we worship higher power to straighten our lives and our devotion and good acts can reduce the effects of karma. The best place to set our lives is to avoid, if not, reduce the six enemies of the mind called Kama (desire), Krodha(anger), Lobha(greed), Moha (delusion), Mada (Pride) and Matcharya(jeolousy). Unity with fellow beings and purity in the body and mind will automatically lead to divinity. The life is a gift given to us to reduce the encryption we have in our Atma. We have to find permanent bliss in life. All worldly pleasures are temporary.

Our thoughts appears in our mind based on our Vasanas and therefore purifying our mind and executing only good thoughts is an important discipline we need to learn. Circumstances also manifest based on how well we handle ourselves. We should do our actions skillfully with complete competence, lovingly with great devotion and selflessly without any exceptions of the fruits. We will be rewarded based on how we refine and transform ourselves.

nandinimithun and shravs3 like this.
  3. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

I had this question for so long too !
    As age progresses, I am coming to terms that destiny cannot be changed. the pujas , homams etc help us to get there if we have it in destiny at all. I know some things we get so easily. Some things just take ages and ages and after so many mantras and tantras we still get it when we dont even feel overwhelmed by it anymore when we get it. Some things, even after so many mantras and tantras we just dont get it.
    Like Ive been trying for a promotion for atleast 7 years. I was eligible, written all my exams, cleared interviews, but still nothing. For a 2-3 years, I didnt even fight it. After that I started fighting for it, keeping track of promotions, who is getting what, talking to management all that junk. For some reason, I wasnt motivated enough or circumstances didnt support me resigning to move elsewhere. And finally, I got promotion in 2021.
    Just the other day, I was cleaning up and found some old papers , one of which was my jaatakam. It was printed and hand written (HAND WRITTEN !!!) that I will get promotion in 2021. I was like... why did I not find these papers earlier? My parents might have packed them neatly and after I moved in & out of the house, we just lost them. 2021 was almost peak covid. and this time, I didnt even fight anymore. So it is just destiny. All my efforts might have helped to some extent, but it was destined.

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Is it fair for the progeny to suffer for the deeds of his ancestors?

5. Viswamitra

@shravs3, Every soul comes with its own agenda and own karma and there is no way one’s karmic action can affect his/her progeny. Therefore, the parents can’t accumulate punya for the children either like the wealth they let them inherit. Only thing possible is when Atma is given a new body, it is blessed to be born in a family with similar karmas. This may give an impression that the parents sins are passed on to the children.

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

@shravs3 years ago i read a story still wonder about it. a king who was a very bad person , did everything bad a person can to others . he gets a child at late age. names him krishna for some reason. even though he does not believe in god and does worse things.

on his death bed when he is sick and old, he sees yama duta taking his soul, he is too old to understand it is yama. but he gets really scared , may be due to old age and starts calling his son's name to come and help him. after some time, he notices a beautiful angel. krishna himself, taking him away from yama.

this incident springs a whole book on karma - cause and effect. how a very bad person, just by calling krishna with 0 intention and that too his child. got saved by the lord.

i do not know the answer to your question. but all i realized , in last few months of listening Purushutram and Rudram daily. it gives me a lot of peace and energy.

I do not do pooja and typical ways. just listen. I guess that is hinduism , it is a way of living well.

7. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

TO think a little more about karma, it is the actions of parents that children pick up. And thats how they learn what to do and how to react to things. Thats how parents sins or goodness also is inherited by children.
    Maybe doing good things and creating a good will by parents is what will reflect on children too. Parent helps someone in need, parent goes away but the persons gratitude might pass on to the child. BUt in this case, in kaliyugam, gratitude also is a big deal to pass on to children. The parent has to do an umpteen number of good deeds for passing on to children.
    well just my random thoughts...

8. lakshmi888

lakshmi888 Silver IL'ite

could be that those souls who took birth as children decided to teach karmic lessons to their parents for their bad karma .. I know 2 real Life story.. one where a woman treated her widowed DIL very badly and she left the house and then her dear daughter suffered a lot in 2 of her marriages ( both failed badly and she couldn’t get 3rd marriage ) …parents suffered a lot of grief when they saw their dear daughters life ruined after giving tonnes of dowry and still had bad marriages 2 times ..,again its karmic retribution

another case I heard of was of a man( I think a soldier ) who was cheated by another man of money .. the cheated man cried trying to recover his money for 14 years or so and died sad but perhaps cursed on his death bed

Cheater man was happy that the man who he cheated died but then this cheater had a son who got some bad long term illness and he spent lots of money for his treatment but still the son died ..

there are some people who can talk to spirits and some one told this cheater man that his son was the re birth of soldier he cheated and after he made the Cheater spend the money on his sons illness (that money was the amount due to the soldier) , his son died ( it was karmic retribution) …

so I think progeny’s sufferings are sometimes due to sins of parents or ancestral karmic lineage because when progeny suffers , parents suffer

All these real life incidents I got to know in my research for few years after I went through some personal grief so , I tried to understand how karma works, is it only past life or ancestral karma or is there any karma at all ..I have come to the conclusion that karma is very much real ( hai/curse of a good person is real ) and there is some karma that affects progeny too to some extent ..

1 astrologer who does major research say that Rahu in certain houses of a persons birth chart indicates some curse of a woman.. this astrologer say it’s because of grand fathers sin on a woman who then cursed his progeny ..why a person would be born with such a birth chart … karmic lineage is the answer .. these astrologers Also advise other astrologers that if they see a curse combination in anyone’s birth chart, avoid seeing that chart any more , no matter even if someone offers millions as it will affect astrologers health very badly ..

this astrologer roams around india for research with many old astrologers and is not in it for money and refused to see lot of bIrth charts

I also conducted personal research on psychics, astrologers, destiny, fate, read books by famous US doctors Brian ( Yale educated doctor) and many souls many lives (something like that ) doctor Newton who were both atheist Doctors but became huge believer of karma and past life after extensive research of many years ..

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  9. Viswamitra

Yes. It is definitely possible. Even though everyone is responsible for the consequences of their own actions, there may be circumstances where a life is created either to suffer similar Karmas matched with the family or create a circumstance that would make the parents suffer consequences of their karma. In my view, Karma will work no matter what except if one seeks absolute grace of God to reduce the effects of Karma. Law of Karma is real unwritten law and the life is created to a) face the consequences of the past actions and b) learn how to eliminate these karmas so that the soul can be liberated. When a life is born, the family environment, pursued career, health, marriage, and other circumstances will automatically show up to have the effects of past karma. How one navigates accepting those pains with the firm faith that they have a divine presence inside of them, will determine how they encounter the consequences of their karmas. Thoughts themselves are created by Vasanas even though it appears in the mind. In fact, the mind is a resorvior of Vasanas and associated thoughts and learning about them explains why once life is created and the purpose of the life.

10. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

Thank you for explaining this so well as I find myself in these situations again and again. I see a pattern that is probably spun by past karma, my vasanas leading to current thoughts that make me take incorrect decisions and the six enemies usually come to play and justify them at that moment. I am going to make a conscious choice to be aware of the vasanas that are behind the thoughts.. Some things are easy to detect like not eating well or sleeping well leads to more bad choices in diet or being jealous or prideful leads to not treating well or generating negative thoughts about people ! I plan so much to fill the body and mind with the good but what about the Soul? Sometimes if your soul is not content & clean all the efforts are vain as it still does not give you the fulfillment in-spite of all the worldly achievements.

@shravs3 thanks for bringing these important questions up and may you find peace and joy in life. I feel every experience ..good or bad gives us something to learn.

Viswamitra likes this.