1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curlytweethere, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for projecting image of yesteryear heroine Vyjayanthimal whose autograph I had taken personally when she attended ss vasan's daughter's wedding at abbotsbury mount road. It was in the year 1961 or 1962. With her bright rolling eye-balls, she was surveying the audience as Gemini Ganesh & Sivaji Ganesan at ear-shot. Around 2pm MLV on daise was rendering carnatic music . Vyjayantimala, while talking to some one, first wrote "om" legibly and aesthetically at middle top in sanskrit in my calico-bounded autograph booklet. At the age of four she did bharat natiyam infront of Pope.
    Hothon Pe Aisi Baat Main Dabake Chali Aai.. Still reverberates!

Padmini- ragini-lalitha trio sisters too were close by. All of them were at one place for a moment, I felt as if I myself was in Indralok!

upload_2022-10-3_11-52-20.jpeg upload_2022-10-3_11-52-20.jpeg

Padmini full of poise & grace - acted in veera pandiya katta bomman.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  2. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Eduku indha teve illadha vilambaram

3. Thyagarajan

My friend KB writes
    Vikram, Karthi, Parthiepan, Sarath Kumar, Vikram Prabhu, Prabhu - Tamilians
    Jayam Ravi, Ashwin Kakumaanu - Telugu
    Kishore - Kannada (?)
    Aishwariya Rai & Prakash Rai- Bunts, so basically Udupi Belt
    Jayaram, Aishwariya Lekshmi - Malayalis
    Trisha - Palghat Brahmin so basically
    PS1 is
    pan South India film!

anika987 likes this.
  4. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

yesterday only i watched the movie.. I felt like they shuld have added some 15 - 20 mts for the movie..
    Felt like watching scenes in fast fwd mode..
    We can feel many scenes continuity and character build up missing..
    Lookd like editor removed some 60-70 mts of scenes..

Atleast extra couple minutes for important character introductions is definitely needed..
    And Background music is not at all good..
    Karthi - Jeyam ravi fighting scene background was like dance music to me..

Being a big novel fan, i enjoyed the movie, but i wish Director should have added more scenes.. character buildup much needed..
    Else we wont get connected to the movie..
    Hope mani will take this and correct it in PS2..

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

I felt the songs are stuffed for the box office collection. When we are sinking in the story, songs appear every 15 minutes. I also felt some scenes are in ff mode.

6. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

I haven't read the book but at the same time couldn't connect to the movie, movie need more well defined scenes like fighting scenes with enhanced graphics, detailed character explanation, I didn't like Trisha not much expression...I liked the Aishwarya Lakshmi her acting was really good.
    Overall okay but expected more.

7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Any one noticed Lal Jose (malayalam director and actor) as Malayaman (grandpa of Aditya karikalan and siblings)?

8. Thyagarajan

Captured in Dallas
    Dance by my MIT ALUMNI's
    Daughter and her friends
    to Ponni nadhi song

9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm delighted reading all your reviews . most of it Match what I had in mind.
    Despite all the little things Loved the whole attempt.
    Coming to the little things :
    1) Poonguzhali intro.. yabba. too much glamor .
    2) Kundhavai and VD meeting in josiyar house, well its ok I can excuse that. Its difficult adding every little scene. So instead they could have added 1 line dialogue saying , naam josiyar veetil sandhithomey , something like that...
    3) Senthan Amuthan could have had 1 more dialogue saying , meet my athai-daughter Poonguzhali she can take you across. would have made the connection. It was abrupt there . Book readers will know , but others wont understand the connection there.
    4) SOL song was missing. could have added 2 mins showing the journey when Kundhavai was going to meet Adithan
    5) Aish's scenes BGM was terrible. I was very upset with ARR for this. Everything sounded like Maiya maiyaa to me, hindustani classical tune, that tamizh tune was missing. May be he could have used Konnakol + Veenai or Violin to bring out the essence.

10. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1) Think about Star Wars series. Only some episodes were good, some were clearly boring and even fanatics recommend that we skip it . If Mani had chosen to do 5 parts, it just might seem too long .
    books can have lengthy dialogues giving you time to visualize it in your imagination, but movies having such lengthy dialogues will wear us out.
    So I'd say this is right. May be 3 episodes instead of 2 showing the un-told connection between Kundhavai and VD .

2) When I read the book, I felt the same too . The way I perceived Karikalan was also that he's a brutal warrior with less emotions. And Nandini is a victim of events around her. She was sort of forced in this path due to things out of her control. Every character is right from their own shoes.