Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I could get the geese/goose part from the image...looking up synonyms, other words, other kinds, etc could get to the actual bird in question. So maybe it isn't a wrong design entirely. : ) (but to be able to identify something in the first place comes from prior knowing I suppose).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    jskls likes this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

For me the bird came only towards the end...helping me make connections ......finally!
    so not at all!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    jskls and Kohvachn like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not at all @jskls . All your clues were simple and intuitive. Even for folks who couldn’t recognize the bird, there are exactly two possibilities to search and confirm. Also, subsequent clues provided ample pointers to the answer.

@Thyagarajan Sir, as the old proverb goes, “What is good for the goose is good for the ____ (another bird)”. Fill in the blanks and you have your answer.

jskls, Thyagarajan and Kohvachn like this.
  4. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Jumping through some random bunny loops from my news feed today, I ended up on this article: The Macartney Embassy | LRB 18 August 2022 on the LRB blogs. Reading over the coffee, a few lines into the article and the preface feels a lot familiar already; about events between an East India Company envoy from Madras and the Qing dynasty emperor... rings a bell? ; )

Soka's Puzzle #5208 from Feb 2016!

Quite surprised how even years later now I could recognize the story/context. Sweet. Thanks to neurons, I guess. : ) Just thought to share my excitement about the same, and, an interesting puzzle if anyone likes to check out/revisit! :innocent:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Oh i know now. yonder rhymes with gander. So its search phrase “ wtc + Gander” . Let me try right away and see where all I land...

Gauri03, Kohvachn and jskls like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

@jskls
    Finally it is bird’s eye view thanks to every one for their effort in helping me to negotiate through images to arrive at the event.

compassion in Gander NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA 15 th anniversary of 9/11

Gauri03, Kohvachn and jskls like this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

You have solved big part of the puzzle. now let’s see other interesting things you can find about it.

how does this event relate to another clue in @Kohvachn’s response “September ribbon” ?

what about the christopher award image ? and what does next image tell you about people being part of some music event ?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Will post the answers by Thursday or so. if anyone else is working this active puzzle and need more time please let me know.

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Srama like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

@jskls
    CHRISTOPHER AWARD WINNERS CELEBRATE STORIES and music OF PEOPLE WHO BRING LIGHT INTO DARK SITUATIONS

10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Answer to Puzzle #9150

Operation Yellow Ribbon was commenced by Canada minutes after the second attack to handle civilian airlines when US airspace was closed. This forced 38 Jetliners to land on Gander International airport on Sep’11 2001. The population of this small town on Newfoundland Island doubled nearly. A book “ The day the world came to town” by Jim Defede that received Chirstopher award details the goodwill and friendship of the small town community that hosted the stranded passengers and pets for 4-5 days by opening their homes and hearts to complete strangers. This was also made into a Broadway Musical - Come from Away

BookAward_finalPuzzle.png

Image clues :
    Top row
    1. Image 1: Twin tower memorial / WTC
    2. Image 2 : Airplanes
    3. Image 3 : NewFoundLand
    4. Image 4 : Gander (yellow outline for operation yellow ribbon)
    Second row
    1. Image 1 : Community
    2. Image 2 : Christopher award
    3. Image 3 : Musical
    Keyword searches that would have helped you to arrive at the answers
    • Canada + airline + 9/11 (would have landed you on Operation Yellow Ribbon)
    • tower + plane + people + Canada (right away would have brought the Generosity of Gander)
    • Canada + airline + twin tower
    • Canada + airplane + community
    Sources :
    Operation Yellow Ribbon - Wikipedia
    The Day the World Came to Town - Wikipedia
    N.L. famously embraced the world on 9/11. There's an untold story about what happened before | CBC News
    Come from Away - Wikipedia (set to close this October)

as we are approaching the 21st anniversary of 9/11 I wanted to share about the book. Idea for this puzzle started when my highschooler received the Book(The day the world came to town) as a book club award for community service and as I forced myself to get back into the habit of reading the warmth of the kind-hearted people of Gander amused me. When the whole world was frozen by the act of terrorism one small town that didn’t have hotels or restaurants rose to the challenge with kindness, selflessness, and generosity. It was wonderful to read about the ordinary folks, who on a moment’s notice transformed their town into a giant shelter to welcome the “plane people.”

Appreciate all your time and effort. also special thanks to all helping and posting wonderful clues for this puzzle. Lot to still learn from you guys. Thanks for playing this puzzle.

Kohvachn, Viswamitra, Gauri03 and 3 others like this.