Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

It was a good puzzle @Kohvachn. I enjoyed solving it. Your further clues were liberal and helped me a lot. I got the keyword Hyderabad, flower and fabrics right from those clues but missed out what was in the black triangle. I completely missed Darwin and Origin book by Dan Brown (not your fault but I wasn't thinking clearly due to pain). Instead, I assumed keywords of animals and print (book) for some strange reason but somehow it worked and Chintz showed up. Then came @Gauri03's clue and your response. I finally solved the first part by later afternoon but couldn't solve the second part as I never heard of it before. Then I paid attention to your clue "what you see is what it is" and asked @Laks09 to focus on what is clearly visible. I took the keyword as "Chuck out". Then I googled more. My wife always used to say that people focus more on what she wears more than Princess Diana. That is when it struck me about what she was wearing and the sentence "chuck out Chintz" came to my head. Then I bumbed on "Ikea's chuck out Chintz" campaign.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thank you Gauri.

Thank you Kohvachn.

Gauri03 and Kohvachn like this.
  3. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

A feel good puzzle, K ! I enjoyed it. Didn’t know a thing about Chintz campaign before. It’s amazing how much can we learn with these puzzles. I was stuck with the Golconda fort, thinking maybe the puzzle is about a secret treasure or a tunnel discovered :sweatsmile: But then you said what you see is what it is. So I decided not going deep and tried the keywords Hyderabad origin flower cloth and got Chintz. The second row was really easy because K said just focus on what you can clearly see on the chuck them out pic. So chintz Diana chuck out and got the answer :)

Thank so much for a feel good, informational puzzle, K! Learning something new after solving each puzzle here !

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Kohvachn ,

neat puzzle and even neater explanation, though I could not get around to solving it. I did everything that my students do - overthink and give up! You know I feel like a perfect example of "Do as I say, don't do as I do" :) Overthinking part was....not relating Char-minar to Hyderabad even though I know where it is and the reason for that is Char-les Darwin, though I zeroed in on flower design with Diana and duppatta (?), the 'lightbulb' didn't go off and finally I simply gave up only because of time and too many things (mostly lesson plans) on mind as I went through my days!

I did want to write so that you know that even though I didn't communicate, I was trying! Thank you!

5. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

It does! This is a new angle of approach, I hadn't tested this keyword possibility myself. Cool indeed! :wink1:

I added Diana clue just in case anyone will be deviating she can gently nudge them back on the track or confirm they are on the right one otherwise. I was in the assumption that she served not much of a useful purpose, more like a dummy clue so in a way it's mildly enlightening for me to know how she has actually helped y'all get to the solution. I'll keep in mind not to disregard the worth of my clues as a puzzle maker! :lol::facepalm: Lol.

Sometimes the puzzles can be just silly :biggrin: and clues nothing more than what they are!

Reminds me of a recent conversation I had with G during her Ponniyin Selvan puzzle where she suggested a term and asked me to look up: "Occam's Razor". Keep it damn freakin' simple, yeah! It's not merely a thought concept. I had say more of a philosophy; a way of life! Within the context of puzzles, it could be a useful methodology to follow for both puzzle-making and solving. Recommended reading if I may! :touched:

@Gauri03 ...Maybe you should write about it. :wink1:

I hadn't known about Chintz or the ad campaign a few days back. It had come up on a discussion: how successful campaigns can bring down something so reigning for years and set narratives; a fact that's true to this date I suppose. :wink1:

I'm glad y'all enjoyed it. Gives me the confidence to make more puzzles. Thank you. :beer-toast1:

Gauri03, Viswamitra and deepthyanoop like this.
  6. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Occam's razor, so true ! Thanks Gauri and K for another cool info :) Keeps our puzzle solving so much easier! Keep the unnecessary stuff out of the way, focus on what you are seeing and keep it short and simple. A good rule not just for puzzles but life in general too :beer-toast1:

But Diana was needed, at least to me :) It was really nice to read that Princess Diana when she got married, moved into the palace with a wardrobe of Laura Ashley’s English chintz dresses and how she was often seen in blooms. Once upon a time I was a bloom loving girl too, most of my clothings were in floral designs :sweatsmile:

Gauri03, Kohvachn and Rihana like this.
  7. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I suggested Occam's razor technique of removing the unnecessary in the context of keywords and overthinking but I get your point on the usefulness of the Diana clue; a learning for me there. Duly noted. :blush:
    Ain't we all did? Lol. Sweet. Kalamkari/ Chintz has been in our lives yet we are/were unaware of its humble heritage or enduring legacy. Like there are documented records about 1000+ "Objects of History", maybe there should be an archive (or there is already?) for all things Indian artifacts too for the sake of the next generations that weren't there when history was being made. Just a random thought. :innocent:

deepthyanoop likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I missed this image puzzle and arrived late here.
    However after reading the feedbacks and detail discussions p, i remembered to have read a thread in IL AND checked up the notes in link
    Paintings : Kalamkari Paintings of Andhra Pradesh

I too love this print. According to some, It is sri kalahasthi from where it originated and then the art copied globally.

deepthyanoop, Gauri03 and Kohvachn like this.
  9. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I checked the link. Indeed lovely art by our member, the same Kalamkari art form the puzzle is about but also a bit more on its European/western version - that like you say was "copied globally" - the Chintz!
    No problem sir. You can always try any done puzzle and check the solution page when you may have the answer. Since my puzzle was meant to be a quickie, I didn't wish to keep it open for long and chose to post the answer when I felt the majority of members had finished it. Maybe I could have waited a day more. I realize people could be trying (@Srama) or come by a little late. I'll keep in mind next time. :blush:

Thank you for dropping by and sharing. Appreciate the information.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the interesting puzzle, K! That was a fun bit of textile history! My clue spray-ed came from the Hindi chheent meaning spray, from which chintz is derived, because the prints look like sprays of color. The puzzle was fairly simple to solve, though I stopped after I got chintz, thinking that was the answer. Some of the discussions clued me in that there was more. Chuck + Chintz brought up the IKEA slogan right away. Those prints were ubiquitous while I was growing up. I doubt there is a household in India that didn't at some point have a block-printed bed sheet or table cloth. : )

deepthyanoop, Kohvachn and Viswamitra like this.