1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Kids Last Name After Divorce

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Rajapriyaa, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Rajapriyaa

Rajapriyaa Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I am going through divorce process now and i have 2 daughters aged 11 and 9. I want to change their last names to my name after this divorce because their father is not involved at all right after their birth itself.
    Am living in india, is it possible to change the kids last name to my name instead of their father's name?
    what is the procedure involved?

2. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

My suggestion is let it be like that.. for the sake of kid... Else they needs to answer unnecessary question from who ever is asking their names.. why ur last name is ur moms name, what happened to ur parents life.. etc.. i think through through proper notification any one can change names.

Cheers

3. RekhaUK

RekhaUK Senior IL'ite

Please see a lawyer. There is a process to be followed by publishing name change in gazette. It would take a month or two for the name change. Post the gazette publication , then for each of the ID proof change name in aadhar, passport etc.

4. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

It's easy an process these days.google around and this is usually done in 2 or 3 months.But after change then change in Adhar card or passport takes bit time

5. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Hi ..in certain communities they still have mom's name as their middle name
    My close friend is from a caste/community where matriarchal system followed.She and her sis has mom's name as last name..some of y Christian friends too has their grandsmom's name as last name.so it's not new .

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Even if there are questions, the children should be raised to speak up for what they believe in. If the father is not involved in any of their upbringing, and he is now divorced, what is the problem in telling the truth.

I have a friend, whose husband left her with a child 2 years post marriage. She then divorced him, and started living as a single mom. With so much struggle at personal & social level, she broke all the barriers to be very successful in life.
    She has given her surname to the child, and he is now a brilliant 14 year old.

His name is so unique, because it is so uncommon in our community to have a female name as second name to a boy. Yet, he is bold enough to answer all the questions with proud that he is a son of a single mom.

shama146, Marzipan and curlytweethere like this.
  7. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

You need an affidavit, name change announcement in two newspaper one regional and one in English

8. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

What are the kids going to answer when questioned about the father who was never there then? If he was involved and there was shared custody then yes may be op might not have changed the names? But what will the kids answer about someone who was never there in their life

9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

From my experience in USA, to change kids name we have to go to court and need permission of both parents. But, once we applied, the procedure was easy. The judge ask questions and once the order is signed, we can apply to change birth certificates, social security card, school, hospital etc... We changed name because my h changed his name to his shortened first name plus traditional lastname ( earlier his lastname was his fathers name very difficult for people here to pronounce as its long. First name too), both are small and easy, when we got US citizenship . So we had to change last name of kids as h's first name also changed. In this process, we used h' s first name as middle name for ds and my first name as middle name for my dd but maintained traditional ( indian community name, its same in our case)last name. All this change due to practical reasons. But I never changed my name. I dont use community name, but still use my fathers first name as my last name, but its easy to pronounce. Evenif it's not, I would not have chnged it.

I am not sure how easy it is India to change name, but I heard it involves lot of steps. Even if father is not in their life, he still his father, that you should not deny. Kids should not question you in future. So, take a wise decision .
    Anyway, its up to you. Go ahead with what you think is right. You may get an idea here. Also, noticed many youtube videos in native languages on this topic.

Legal Name Change Procedure for minors in India|Name Change Online

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    peet1983 likes this.
  10. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

What answer we can expect from a 9 year old kid? I don't think such questions from friends or others make the kids comfortable at this age. Once they become mature enough to understand what was happened with the parents and themself they will remove father's identity from their names.