Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

100% agree … it’s not only fun but also some learning in post discussion or subtle clues though we might wander in search of answers or find another treasure while getting lost as well :). so right or wrong I keep my soln in spoilers only.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Viswamitra, deepthyanoop and Gauri03 like this.
  3. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

As Rihana so aptly said “ No child left behind “ by law , in the the neurons thread :) Sandhya’s puzzle was so cryptic for me. Even Rushdie clue didn’t click with me. It didn’t cross my mind that “ Midnight Children” got Booker prize too! I was associating him with other things more recent. If Arundhati Roy was the clue, my mediocre mind would have picked it up :) But I know Rushdie was more apt given Midnight Children dealt with partition, political freedom etc.

“Tomb of Sand” by Geetanjali Shree seems so alluring! I am embarrassed to say how little I knew about Hindi literature apart from some amazing Premchand stories and Harivansh Rai Bachchan poems learned at School.

Daisy Rockwell, (who translated Geetanjali’s original work )said “One should not view a translation as an imperfect representation of a superior and unattainable original. Read translations as original works and you will be much happier. People always obsess about what is lost in translation. It has become a cliche. Of course, things are lost in translation! But is that bad?”

I agree with her. If the translator is able to retain the exact emotion, sentiment, meanings of phrases and idioms etc, why not ? I searched more about the book and read some soulful reviews. A reviewer quote the below as his favorite from the book.
    Border, Ma says. Border? Do you know what a border is? What is a border? It's something that surrounds an existence, it is a person's perimeter. No matter how large, no matter how small. The edge of a handkerchief, the border of a tablecloth, the embroidery around my shawl. The edges of the sky. The beds of flowers in this yard. The borders of fields. The parapet around this roof. A picture frame. Everything has a border. However, a border is not created to be removed. It is meant to illuminate both sides. You removed me. Should I leave?”

How beautiful and heartfelt ? Seems like not much is lost in the translation .We need more quality translators in India too, for the literary gems that are hidden in the regional languages. After all less than perfect translation is better than no translation at all.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I endorse the sentiments expressed about the neuron puzzles. Many puzzles have been discussed for a long time and this @1Sandhya's puzzle is exceptional and a big turning point for everyone to group and help each other. At the end of the day, this neuron thread promotes comradship through an informal banter with each other. Even the way clues are given and the language used to give such clues are exceptional. There is so much to learn from this thread. If not anything else, it keeps my mind occupied and alert and the puzzles brings back that concentration again to focus on the solution. Certainly, I am not going to forget who I am after I get older.

deepthyanoop and 1Sandhya like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I spilled my drink while reading those lines.

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

IMG_20220903_222900.jpg

What my newsfeed is about these days! :sweatsmile:

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I saw the first 2 episodes and I… liked them. Not loved, but definitely liked them. I mean they have the same gorgeous look as the movies and seem to have taken pains to stay consistent with the costuming and design choices made by the movies. Some minor gripes with casting and less than convincing acting here and there but it’s only the beginning. The movies weren’t perfect either. I am cautiously hopeful about the series. Certain sections of the LOTR fandom seem determined to hate the series simply because it is ‘woke’ according to them. ‘Woke’ is just fascist code for anything that acknowledges the right of black, brown and non-hetero people to exist. They want to preserve the LOTR universe as the exclusive bastion of ‘White Christian Men’. So they cast a black elf and female lead — that’s got people all riled up. All those racist misogynistic fans can GTFO. :rage:

8. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Sometimes I wonder how colored characters are placed as equals in the story arcs because history happened the way it happened for a fact, but we aren't watching true history here and fantasies can be adjusted, I suppose, to suit realities. And, all is fair when it comes to representations, whatever forms that will be. Cultural purists, be damned.

Hm. So now what? Cancel culture on the series? Just another example of how fan communities can become hostile, which is only getting uglier by the day, as fascist as the #Woke is (from textbook chapters being removed to boycotting movies, India is quick to catch up on the trend). For all the outcries, the same bunch will celebrate someone who thinks global population issues rather than the climate crisis would bring the doom of civilization - is beyond me! :eek: Anyway, I don't want to care about what a few bunches of internet people and some paid reviewers have got to say.
    I plan to watch the series with my dh but he is away on a trip; impatiently for his return. :blush:

Meanwhile, I'm on the MO binge for the weekend. Netflix thinks I'll enjoy it. I do too. I like the lead character "Mo" Mohammed, a Palestinian refugee in Texas. I find him and his life (bitter)sweet. Easy, fun, relatable watch!

9. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

@Gauri03 quick flashbacks and some afterthoughts... Reviewing my activities here in the past few weeks, I'm kinda proud of myself, and how far I have come since 2015, to be what am today. :blush: You may roll your eyes :sweatsmile: yeah, yeah but I do wish to express my gratitude. :innocent:

Thank you for all the learnings, inspirations, influences, and for being patient with me forever! :grin: Thank you for teaching me kindness, and compassion above anything. :blush: (adv) Teacher's Day wishes to you! :beer-toast1:

PS: you can't be mad at me for the post on this day! :tonguewink::yum:

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kohvachn, Rihana and Gauri03 like this.